Single Stitch keeps on stitching

(2003 Millennium) When I use the single stitch button to bring up the bobbin thread, the machine often stitches 2 or even 5-6 stitches before it quits! Even when I take my hands completely off the handles, it often keeps stitching up to 5 or 6 times!! This is very disconcerting when you are trying to just bring up the bobbin thread! Anyone else have this trouble and how did you fix it? Stitch speed is still set to 10, where I always have it. The regular stitching is still fine.

:(

You know, mine does this sporadicly. No amount of tweaking the #8 screw will make a permanent change. Believe it or not, I actually think it has to do with the humidity. I know this sounds really stupid, but I have been dealing with this for a couple of years. If I tweak the screw, I get it to change but the next day, it does something different. Right now mine is taking 4 or 5 stitches extra, but probably tomorrow it won't. Sometimes, it stitches extra stitches for a couple of days and then it just stops, without any fiddling with the screw. It will work fine for days, then just start goofing up again. It's a royal pain, but I'm just learning to live with it (not without uttering some grumbles under my breath).

OK, OK, so I have to read the forum to feel as if I really own the (as yet unassembled) Millie. But since I am a "researcher" by nature and training, i wonder why our APQS tech's haven't come up with a permanent fix for this problem; or is there a permanent fix for this problem since the instructions for the fix are not in the revised 2-1-10 manual? OR is the nature of the beast such that the freedom of being able to change the needle position is balanced against position being able to come "undone" ? Dawn or Heidi?

Make sure the machine is warmed up before adjusting the screw, as I am sure the manual recommends. If it isn't warmed up, the procedure will need to be done again. And as they say--don't ask me how I know this...:P

I assume that the adjusting screw may loosen or tighten a bit from vibration and/or shipping and this was APQS's way to assure we have a way to easily fix that problem.

There is a possibility that the boards need replacing, as this happened to me late last year. I just couldn't get the machine to stop sewing - sewed clear to the edge one time and I had to physically turn the machine off. I was able to do freehand work and just continue to the edge of the quilt , but couldn't do any custom work at all. I checked that the quilt glide was off etc, and adjusted the screw several times to no avail. Finally, Sue and Amy decided to replace all the boards. Then I could quilt again!!!

Hope you get it fixed soon, I know how frustrating it can be, when you've got quilts piling up needing to be done!

Shelley

My machine did this all the time. I could not adjust it enough....every time I started to use it. Very, very frustrating. I took my 2004 Millie for a "Spa Day". What a difference. For the past year I have not had one bit of trouble with this. Like Shelley said, I think replacing the boards helped my Millie a lot.

If you have never sent your Millie back to the factory to have a spa day, you might want to think about doing that.

My machine does this once in a while too. It was happening last night and it doesn't start to happen until it is warmed up. It is nice when you are doing a single stitch basting stitch because it gives it a little extra strength. My machine will be headed for a spa treatment by Jan. of this year. It will be 3 at the end of Aug. I probably won't be able to do it then with the Christmas rush.

mine has done this internittantly too since day 1...bought it from the factory. i found recently that by putting a little pressure against the flywheel...it stops. that works better for me than tweaking the #8 screw. mine too gets worse as it warms up. dawn said this shouldn't be the case as it is a potentiometer...but just what i notice!

I am having major problems with this also and have been having snags with my machine since January when Mark noticed a problem with the SR when over in Scotland. Have only managed to quilt 2 quilts so far........ 1st birthday for the machine will be in August.

Amy is trying to sort it out.......

I have had the same trouble with my single stich since I got my machine (Liberty). I called APQS and tweaked the screw and it worked for a while, but then would get out of whack again. For the past 6 months, it has not worked properly. I do my single stitch by using the flywheel. I know I should take it in and have it looked at, but that is not real convenient right now.

Archived