comparison

I am a Gammill user that is looking to purchase a new machine. I am interested in switching to APQS, but would like pros and cons in comparison to Gammill vs. APQS. So any of you out there that can help, I would appreciate it. I would go straight to dealer, but worried of bias.

I have been doing customer quilts for last 6 years and am getting burn-out. Now I want to do my own quilting and enter into competition and need a machine to get there. My Gammill has to much movement and I have to do to many "alterations" to get what I need!

I have been a "lurker" of this site for about 4 yrs and the forums seem to be more about ideas for quilting and the accomplishments of such rather than machine problems (alot of that on the Gammill site). And a biggy is that APQS seems to be the machine used on prize winning quilting!

I am moving from state to state in about another year and would like to have decision in place so not moving a machine with me.

Opinions appreciated....good or bad. Thanx for help ahead of time!!

I am a Gammill user that is looking to purchase a new machine. I am interested in switching to APQS, but would like pros and cons in comparison to Gammill vs. APQS. So any of you out there that can help, I would appreciate it. I would go straight to dealer, but worried of bias.

I have been doing customer quilts for last 6 years and am getting burn-out. Now I want to do my own quilting and enter into competition and need a machine to get there. My Gammill has to much movement and I have to do to many "alterations" to get what I need!

I have been a "lurker" of this site for about 4 yrs and the forums seem to be more about ideas for quilting and the accomplishments of such rather than machine problems (alot of that on the Gammill site). And a biggy is that APQS seems to be the machine used on prize winning quilting!

I am moving from state to state in about another year and would like to have decision in place so not moving a machine with me.

Opinions appreciated....good or bad. Thanx for help ahead of time!!

Hi Abby! I will be brave and say you don't need to be afraid of a bias sales line or pressure from a sales rep, especially with APQS. I think the machines (no matter what brand - APQS, Gammill, A-1 etc..too many to list here.....) are all good and it's all personal preference. Bottom line is the customer should be happy with their purchase; it's a big investment. So I would suggest you do a test drive on several machines. Click here to find an APQS dealer near you. http://www.apqs.com/dealers.php

And yes, I will agree there are a lot of talented quilters on our chat! I am sure people here will add their $.02 advice to you. Best wishes! :)

Hi Abby! I will be brave and say you don't need to be afraid of a bias sales line or pressure from a sales rep, especially with APQS. I think the machines (no matter what brand - APQS, Gammill, A-1 etc..too many to list here.....) are all good and it's all personal preference. Bottom line is the customer should be happy with their purchase; it's a big investment. So I would suggest you do a test drive on several machines. Click here to find an APQS dealer near you. http://www.apqs.com/dealers.php

And yes, I will agree there are a lot of talented quilters on our chat! I am sure people here will add their $.02 advice to you. Best wishes! :)

Hi Abby. :) I agree with Shana. In my opinion, you need to decide what is important to you. I can't tell where you are from, but I'll mention a few of the things that I took into consideration before purchasing my Lenni last summer. Customer service is a HUGE thing to me, plus made in the USA (and even better, in Iowa), plus a quality machine. I lurked on this site for over a year and learned so many things from this talented bunch. I did lots of "homework" checking out the main brands, test driving them and reading everything I could about them. Two things kept coming up over and over that convinced me that APQS was right for me.......the quality of the stitching and the Customer Service/training that go hand in hand with APQS. So when the time came to make my decision to make my purchase, there has not been a time that I have doubted it or been sorry with the choice I made.

So good luck on your search for your perfect machine. I hope you will be as happy with your choice as I am with mine! :D:D:D

Hi Abby. :) I agree with Shana. In my opinion, you need to decide what is important to you. I can't tell where you are from, but I'll mention a few of the things that I took into consideration before purchasing my Lenni last summer. Customer service is a HUGE thing to me, plus made in the USA (and even better, in Iowa), plus a quality machine. I lurked on this site for over a year and learned so many things from this talented bunch. I did lots of "homework" checking out the main brands, test driving them and reading everything I could about them. Two things kept coming up over and over that convinced me that APQS was right for me.......the quality of the stitching and the Customer Service/training that go hand in hand with APQS. So when the time came to make my decision to make my purchase, there has not been a time that I have doubted it or been sorry with the choice I made.

So good luck on your search for your perfect machine. I hope you will be as happy with your choice as I am with mine! :D:D:D

I agree totally with Shana, except that a dealer's job is to be biased in favor of their product, so of course there will be some of that. That said, I found Mark at APQS to be very up-front about the mechanical differences in the two machine brands. The only way you can truly satisfy yourself is to test-drive both of them. You don't say where you are located, but there are a number of shows across the country where both APQS and Gammill, as well as other machines. are available to try. If you can't make it to one of those, go to the dealers. Myself, I went to Innovations in Tacoma, tried every longarm machine on the market, and then bought an APQS with confidence. I have been very happy with that choice. Good luck in your search.

I agree totally with Shana, except that a dealer's job is to be biased in favor of their product, so of course there will be some of that. That said, I found Mark at APQS to be very up-front about the mechanical differences in the two machine brands. The only way you can truly satisfy yourself is to test-drive both of them. You don't say where you are located, but there are a number of shows across the country where both APQS and Gammill, as well as other machines. are available to try. If you can't make it to one of those, go to the dealers. Myself, I went to Innovations in Tacoma, tried every longarm machine on the market, and then bought an APQS with confidence. I have been very happy with that choice. Good luck in your search.

Hi Abby. I actually never test drove any longarm. I had tried a friend's HQ16 and knew I was hooked, line and sinker!

I contacted Mark at the factory...and the rest is history. He talked me through the inner workings of the Millennium...and lead me to this forum. I researched and decided that a Green Millenniun was the right machine for me as it was cost effective and would do everything I wanted. I am very pleased with my decision...and yes, customer service, made in the USA, and the fact that this forum is here...made my decision an easy one! I love my APQS machine.

Hi Abby. I actually never test drove any longarm. I had tried a friend's HQ16 and knew I was hooked, line and sinker!

I contacted Mark at the factory...and the rest is history. He talked me through the inner workings of the Millennium...and lead me to this forum. I researched and decided that a Green Millenniun was the right machine for me as it was cost effective and would do everything I wanted. I am very pleased with my decision...and yes, customer service, made in the USA, and the fact that this forum is here...made my decision an easy one! I love my APQS machine.

i'll be biased...i have driven gammills, HQ16 and the avante, A-1s, prodigy, baby lock's jewel (looks like and HQ16)

-i liked the frame set up of an APQS better than the gammill- easier to get a look at the backing...

-i liked the horizontal handles better than the vertical ones, plus each command on an APQS has a button...trying to remeber the button sequence on a gammill was discouraging (i know it would of became second nature, but *shrug* my money)

-i thought the gammill vibrated more and felt back heavy....it fish-tailed to me

-i like the horizontal wheel system. i like the idea of being able to 'adjust' the wheels, even tho some find it a pain.

-i like APQS's one tension disc

-i like the smaller {smart} bobbin. i know i go through more bobbins when quilting, but i feel having an even tension balance all though one bobbin is worth it.

- i think the APQS machine heads are 'pretty'

- i love APQS's customer service (*wave* amy), plus the resource of the forum and the reps will help no matter where you are....

- i like that APQS will easily run any thread

- i knew an Millie would do what i needed (business)

-you can't beat thier warranty, plus they are there AFTER warranties expire...

you asked....was that helpful

the only thing i would change is i want a hydrolic lift then i'll be as happy as a hippo

i'll be biased...i have driven gammills, HQ16 and the avante, A-1s, prodigy, baby lock's jewel (looks like and HQ16)

-i liked the frame set up of an APQS better than the gammill- easier to get a look at the backing...

-i liked the horizontal handles better than the vertical ones, plus each command on an APQS has a button...trying to remeber the button sequence on a gammill was discouraging (i know it would of became second nature, but *shrug* my money)

-i thought the gammill vibrated more and felt back heavy....it fish-tailed to me

-i like the horizontal wheel system. i like the idea of being able to 'adjust' the wheels, even tho some find it a pain.

-i like APQS's one tension disc

-i like the smaller {smart} bobbin. i know i go through more bobbins when quilting, but i feel having an even tension balance all though one bobbin is worth it.

- i think the APQS machine heads are 'pretty'

- i love APQS's customer service (*wave* amy), plus the resource of the forum and the reps will help no matter where you are....

- i like that APQS will easily run any thread

- i knew an Millie would do what i needed (business)

-you can't beat thier warranty, plus they are there AFTER warranties expire...

you asked....was that helpful

the only thing i would change is i want a hydrolic lift then i'll be as happy as a hippo

Hi Abby,

I am a Gammill owner on this APQS site and everyone has been great!

I did put Edgerider wheels on my Gammill and it handles much better. Thought maybe you might give that a try before spending more money on a new machine.

But otherwise I think like the others. Test drive several and see which one is right for you.

Hi Abby,

I am a Gammill owner on this APQS site and everyone has been great!

I did put Edgerider wheels on my Gammill and it handles much better. Thought maybe you might give that a try before spending more money on a new machine.

But otherwise I think like the others. Test drive several and see which one is right for you.

Hi Abby,

The bobbin size--on a G-brand the M size bobbin holds lots more thread but has issues with changing tension as the bobbin empties, and the weight of the bobbin can cause backlash problems because it is harder to stop.

The L size bobbins hold less thread and thus you need more to finish a project.

The frame--a Gammill has the pivoting frame which allows access to the batting, but the configuration exposes the quilt top as you lean in to quilt. It also limits access to the bobbin area so you must push the head to the side to change the bobbin.

The APQS frame doesn't allow access to the batting, but the quilt top is safely rolled onto the roller and away from pets/lint/those scissors in your pocket.;) Unless you float your tops of course--then the quilt top is hanging down, but I have a sling which is a resting place for the batting and the top when I do a float. Keeps them off the floor.

Stitch quality is a concern, but your opinion is the one that counts in this area.

There are so many options out there now and I echo the wish for you to try as many as you can. Your new machine is waiting to be discovered.

Whatever you decide on--welcome!

Hi Abby,

The bobbin size--on a G-brand the M size bobbin holds lots more thread but has issues with changing tension as the bobbin empties, and the weight of the bobbin can cause backlash problems because it is harder to stop.

The L size bobbins hold less thread and thus you need more to finish a project.

The frame--a Gammill has the pivoting frame which allows access to the batting, but the configuration exposes the quilt top as you lean in to quilt. It also limits access to the bobbin area so you must push the head to the side to change the bobbin.

The APQS frame doesn't allow access to the batting, but the quilt top is safely rolled onto the roller and away from pets/lint/those scissors in your pocket.;) Unless you float your tops of course--then the quilt top is hanging down, but I have a sling which is a resting place for the batting and the top when I do a float. Keeps them off the floor.

Stitch quality is a concern, but your opinion is the one that counts in this area.

There are so many options out there now and I echo the wish for you to try as many as you can. Your new machine is waiting to be discovered.

Whatever you decide on--welcome!

I purchased an APQS last year at MQS. I had always had it in mind that Gammill was "it." After carefully comparing the two machines, I chose the APQS. It came with many more features..available as show specials. I got automatic fabric advance which I thought I wouldn't really care about, but I love now that I have it. I wanted "quilt glide" because I like to do the heirloom type quilting with the tiny background fill. Check it out, because it combines stitch regulation with a smoothed out stitch rhythm, almost like non-regulated stitching. The ability to re-position the handles was another feature I liked. because it eliminated fatigue and I can adjust based on my height (short). The LED lights are great, because they aren't in your way and never get hot. The micro-drive handles (optional) are not in the way and can be left on the machine all the time if you like. The machine has an 8 years warranty, and is made in the USA. I get sharp points when changing direction without having to force myself to hesitate a second before changing direction. The new Bliss drive system is wonderfully smooth on the machines that come equipped with it.. I know the Millenium does. There is a major difference in the handling of the new APQS machines and the Gammills. The machine head is lighter than the Gammill. The channel locks are a must for me also. (Don't remember if Gammill has them or not)

Cons: the aluminum rails oxidize and need regular cleaning. Its a pain, but not so terrible that it would cause me to not purchase the machine again. But I would have to say this is the main thing I dislike about the machine. The stitch quality on the front is always excellent, but the back is sometimes hard to adjust. My friend doesn't have as many back-side tension issues with her machine, but she can't run a lot of theads that I have no problem with. (Forget Bottom Line, she says!)

The issues between the Edgerider Wheels folks and Gammill was a turn-off for me. Some internet research may be in order. Everyone I spoke to about APQS machines raved about their customer service, and this forum is an excellent example. Look in the APQS help section, and you can see how responsive not only forum members are, but the reps at APQS. There are some dealers on the forum that provide excellent answers to questions and concerns at times when APQS reps aren't available (nights, weekends, etc.)

I purchased an APQS last year at MQS. I had always had it in mind that Gammill was "it." After carefully comparing the two machines, I chose the APQS. It came with many more features..available as show specials. I got automatic fabric advance which I thought I wouldn't really care about, but I love now that I have it. I wanted "quilt glide" because I like to do the heirloom type quilting with the tiny background fill. Check it out, because it combines stitch regulation with a smoothed out stitch rhythm, almost like non-regulated stitching. The ability to re-position the handles was another feature I liked. because it eliminated fatigue and I can adjust based on my height (short). The LED lights are great, because they aren't in your way and never get hot. The micro-drive handles (optional) are not in the way and can be left on the machine all the time if you like. The machine has an 8 years warranty, and is made in the USA. I get sharp points when changing direction without having to force myself to hesitate a second before changing direction. The new Bliss drive system is wonderfully smooth on the machines that come equipped with it.. I know the Millenium does. There is a major difference in the handling of the new APQS machines and the Gammills. The machine head is lighter than the Gammill. The channel locks are a must for me also. (Don't remember if Gammill has them or not)

Cons: the aluminum rails oxidize and need regular cleaning. Its a pain, but not so terrible that it would cause me to not purchase the machine again. But I would have to say this is the main thing I dislike about the machine. The stitch quality on the front is always excellent, but the back is sometimes hard to adjust. My friend doesn't have as many back-side tension issues with her machine, but she can't run a lot of theads that I have no problem with. (Forget Bottom Line, she says!)

The issues between the Edgerider Wheels folks and Gammill was a turn-off for me. Some internet research may be in order. Everyone I spoke to about APQS machines raved about their customer service, and this forum is an excellent example. Look in the APQS help section, and you can see how responsive not only forum members are, but the reps at APQS. There are some dealers on the forum that provide excellent answers to questions and concerns at times when APQS reps aren't available (nights, weekends, etc.)

When getting at machine for yourself you may want to go to a little smaller working space (throat). At MQS this year I tried out a few machines. The Prodigy was very nice as was the Innova, liked the standard A-1 (the large throat fishtailed for me), did not like the Gammil at all. I didn't try out the others. Anyway, if I had to do it again I would go w/the APQS Freedom. It's a little lighter than my Millie and doesn't have the thread cutter (don't use it) or the vertical channel lock (use seldom) and it has the manual horizontal channel lock (I could work w/that). I would suggest what everyone else has said-try them all out but think way down the road to a computer etc. I plan on getting the Bliss table as my table has been and still is a problem.

When getting at machine for yourself you may want to go to a little smaller working space (throat). At MQS this year I tried out a few machines. The Prodigy was very nice as was the Innova, liked the standard A-1 (the large throat fishtailed for me), did not like the Gammil at all. I didn't try out the others. Anyway, if I had to do it again I would go w/the APQS Freedom. It's a little lighter than my Millie and doesn't have the thread cutter (don't use it) or the vertical channel lock (use seldom) and it has the manual horizontal channel lock (I could work w/that). I would suggest what everyone else has said-try them all out but think way down the road to a computer etc. I plan on getting the Bliss table as my table has been and still is a problem.

In the end the decision has to be yours and as every else on the forum as said, test drive as many machines as you possibly can before making a decision.

I can tell you my experience. I had a gammill optimum plus, way to big and heavy for me. I did find that the only thread that worked was the thread sold at the dealer (perma core). I couldn’t get signature cotton to work on it, kept breaking no matter what I did.

I test drove an APQS and was sold. Much lighter, moved easier (especially after I added the edgerider wheels which I also had on my gammill too) and I really like the horizontal handles vs the vertical ones on the gammill. Customer support for the APQS is hands down the best!!!

So I sold my gammill and purchased an APQS Millie. I have never regretted that decision.

One negative on the APQS is the table. Although I have learned to work with it, I really miss being able to pivot the top roller to have access to the batting layer (to smooth the batting). Also the oxidation of the rails, which really isn’t a deal breaker.

Since I purchased my Millie I have done two white whole cloth quilts (something I would never have tried on the Gammill cuz I couldn’t get the stitch quality even close enough for heirloom quilting) and I won 2nd place at MQS on one of them. That being said, if you are going to do mostly pantographs then a gammill would probably work great.

Like everyone said try the other machines. Decide what is important to you before you make a purchase (it’s a lot of money). Good luck

In the end the decision has to be yours and as every else on the forum as said, test drive as many machines as you possibly can before making a decision.

I can tell you my experience. I had a gammill optimum plus, way to big and heavy for me. I did find that the only thread that worked was the thread sold at the dealer (perma core). I couldn’t get signature cotton to work on it, kept breaking no matter what I did.

I test drove an APQS and was sold. Much lighter, moved easier (especially after I added the edgerider wheels which I also had on my gammill too) and I really like the horizontal handles vs the vertical ones on the gammill. Customer support for the APQS is hands down the best!!!

So I sold my gammill and purchased an APQS Millie. I have never regretted that decision.

One negative on the APQS is the table. Although I have learned to work with it, I really miss being able to pivot the top roller to have access to the batting layer (to smooth the batting). Also the oxidation of the rails, which really isn’t a deal breaker.

Since I purchased my Millie I have done two white whole cloth quilts (something I would never have tried on the Gammill cuz I couldn’t get the stitch quality even close enough for heirloom quilting) and I won 2nd place at MQS on one of them. That being said, if you are going to do mostly pantographs then a gammill would probably work great.

Like everyone said try the other machines. Decide what is important to you before you make a purchase (it’s a lot of money). Good luck

Abby,

I did a lot of research before I bought my Millennium about 6 years ago. I chose APQS for all the reasons everyone ahead of me has mentioned and have never regretted it.

I love the ability to get consistently good stitch quality top & back. I love how easily the head moves even without edgerider wheels or Bliss's M & Ms. I love how it can handle just about any thread I've tried so far. I love the sharp points I can get when stitching in SR or manual. The horizontal front handles which neutralize the angle on your wrists are a Godsend for aching wrists and I love that they adjust up & down. The simplicity of the command switches on the handles is great. I love how it looks & I love how it's built. I can go on.......

APQS stands behind every one of their machines and is very accessible when you need help. APQS designed these machines so we can fix almost anything on them with their help & guidance & no need to call in an engineer or ship the machine back to Iowa. As someone mentioned, if it's an evening or weekend when you can't get hold of APQS in Iowa, another APQS owner or a dealer on this forum will most likely have help or advice to get you back working again.

Nuff said. Good luck with your search & let us know what you decide.

Abby,

I did a lot of research before I bought my Millennium about 6 years ago. I chose APQS for all the reasons everyone ahead of me has mentioned and have never regretted it.

I love the ability to get consistently good stitch quality top & back. I love how easily the head moves even without edgerider wheels or Bliss's M & Ms. I love how it can handle just about any thread I've tried so far. I love the sharp points I can get when stitching in SR or manual. The horizontal front handles which neutralize the angle on your wrists are a Godsend for aching wrists and I love that they adjust up & down. The simplicity of the command switches on the handles is great. I love how it looks & I love how it's built. I can go on.......

APQS stands behind every one of their machines and is very accessible when you need help. APQS designed these machines so we can fix almost anything on them with their help & guidance & no need to call in an engineer or ship the machine back to Iowa. As someone mentioned, if it's an evening or weekend when you can't get hold of APQS in Iowa, another APQS owner or a dealer on this forum will most likely have help or advice to get you back working again.

Nuff said. Good luck with your search & let us know what you decide.

Okay here is my 2 cents. Test drive, rent time if you have to on any and all machines. The one you keep going back to is the one you want. Also make a list when you do at each machine, listing the things you like and didn't like. Don't rely on your memory. Go to a show, find people in your area with different machines, not every machine likes every thread. I have been able to use any thread I want on my Milli, but my friend with an HQ16 cannot and sticks to just one brand. I'm not afraid to tweek the tension for different threads, she doesn't like to tweek things.

Everyone has purchased their machine based on personal preference and will tell you there's is the best. If you cannot drive them all, get on the different forumns and ask people what they like or what they wish was different on their machine. You need to look at it like buying a car. What options do you like, do you like how it handles, do you want an SUV or a compact, Toyota or Chevy, etc.

It is all a personal preference and I don't think anyone on here will say they don't like their machine, but they might want something a little different to suit them. Not everyone on this site has an APQS machine, but check with other machine owners and ask how they liked their customer service. APQS is great, but I haven't called Gammil, because I don't have one. If you can you get assistance over the phone, will they ship parts, is there a dealer close by. Maybe someone else who owns the same machine and can help trouble shoot.

Again personal preference and good luck on you purchase. Narrow it down to 2-3 machines and go drive them. I drove 8 hours to test drive a machine and once I drove it I wanted that one. But I had test drove many over several years.

Good luck and happy shopping! It is a scarry purchase, kind of like buying a car!!

Shirley

Archived