My Pain in the Neck!

You all have been here through thick and thin with me....and most of you know about my back problems. Finally, I know why I hurt.

I am back at PT and the gal I am working with specializes in neck and shoulder. The minute she looked at me she said, "Have you ever been diagnosed with scoliosis?" (This is my duh! moment). I was diagnosed when I was about 13 years old after I grew 5" during the summer. Anyway, we are working on getting those muscles to relax, then she is going to work with me on retraining the muscles to work in the right direction. Then we can work on building them up. Right now I am at 30% mobility....No wonder I hurt. She told me she has to work with me to get me up to the point of evaluation, but I have a long way to go. She said that 30% is not a high enough number to evaluate :o So, after going to her 3 times....today I hurt. Not a surprise, she said that I am going to hurt before I start feeling better since everything is twisting to the right. She said that I will never be totally pain free....but I should feel better and know how to handle things that make me hurt and know when I am getting in this kind of mess and stop doing what I am doing. Sooooo, I am really wanting to go home and go back to bed today. I am tired; I'm hurt; I think I am cranky....but you would have to ask DH ;)

Anyway, some of you read my blog....some of you have had to listen to me whine on the phone....some of you have emailed me to encourage me and I want you to know that I appreciate each and every one of you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all have been here through thick and thin with me....and most of you know about my back problems. Finally, I know why I hurt.

I am back at PT and the gal I am working with specializes in neck and shoulder. The minute she looked at me she said, "Have you ever been diagnosed with scoliosis?" (This is my duh! moment). I was diagnosed when I was about 13 years old after I grew 5" during the summer. Anyway, we are working on getting those muscles to relax, then she is going to work with me on retraining the muscles to work in the right direction. Then we can work on building them up. Right now I am at 30% mobility....No wonder I hurt. She told me she has to work with me to get me up to the point of evaluation, but I have a long way to go. She said that 30% is not a high enough number to evaluate :o So, after going to her 3 times....today I hurt. Not a surprise, she said that I am going to hurt before I start feeling better since everything is twisting to the right. She said that I will never be totally pain free....but I should feel better and know how to handle things that make me hurt and know when I am getting in this kind of mess and stop doing what I am doing. Sooooo, I am really wanting to go home and go back to bed today. I am tired; I'm hurt; I think I am cranky....but you would have to ask DH ;)

Anyway, some of you read my blog....some of you have had to listen to me whine on the phone....some of you have emailed me to encourage me and I want you to know that I appreciate each and every one of you.

Mary Beth, when people tell you that you are a pain in the neck you will know what they mean. LOL!! The dr. told me I also have scol. Oh well, I just keep going. I don't take time to do the exercises they recommended so I can't complain to anyone. I hope all goes well for you!!

Mary Beth, when people tell you that you are a pain in the neck you will know what they mean. LOL!! The dr. told me I also have scol. Oh well, I just keep going. I don't take time to do the exercises they recommended so I can't complain to anyone. I hope all goes well for you!!

I feel your pain, Mary Beth, although mine has improved drastically (knock on wood). I wish I knew specifically which thing I did that helped it (several weeks of neck traction therapy at doctor's office, inversion table, thyroid cysts going away with meds, or chi machine). As you can see I was desperate for something to work (I have a great chiropractor, too, although he doesn't get much business from me anymore).

I sure hope this is the answer to give you pain free days. Sometimes it just takes the right person to intervene.

I feel your pain, Mary Beth, although mine has improved drastically (knock on wood). I wish I knew specifically which thing I did that helped it (several weeks of neck traction therapy at doctor's office, inversion table, thyroid cysts going away with meds, or chi machine). As you can see I was desperate for something to work (I have a great chiropractor, too, although he doesn't get much business from me anymore).

I sure hope this is the answer to give you pain free days. Sometimes it just takes the right person to intervene.

hi marybeth,

i also have scoliosis - although it is a mild case. some cases are so bad that they leave the person 'crooked' - that is not the case with me.

until about a year ago, i suffered with terrible back pain. it interrupted my sleep, made exercise a nightmare and made me an all around grouch alot of the time. on a whim, i decided to join a friend and see a personal trainer. he worked me very hard - mostly stregnthening my core muscles. (abs) after a few hideously painful months, i can honestly tell you that my back is not nearly as troublesome as it used to be. it is not perfect, but it is MUCH better. just thought i would share what worked for me.

good luck to you - i hope you have unlocked the source of your problems and you will soon be as grateful as i am to have some releif!

hi marybeth,

i also have scoliosis - although it is a mild case. some cases are so bad that they leave the person 'crooked' - that is not the case with me.

until about a year ago, i suffered with terrible back pain. it interrupted my sleep, made exercise a nightmare and made me an all around grouch alot of the time. on a whim, i decided to join a friend and see a personal trainer. he worked me very hard - mostly stregnthening my core muscles. (abs) after a few hideously painful months, i can honestly tell you that my back is not nearly as troublesome as it used to be. it is not perfect, but it is MUCH better. just thought i would share what worked for me.

good luck to you - i hope you have unlocked the source of your problems and you will soon be as grateful as i am to have some releif!

Wow Marybeth,

You are on the road to getting better. Glad someone finally gave you a logical answer for all that lousy pain. You've had lots of bumps on your back pain road and I'm sure there are going to be a whole lot more. Hang in there, only do what you can do, know you can always email us privately if you need to really vent and let it all hang out! We're there for you.

Wow Marybeth,

You are on the road to getting better. Glad someone finally gave you a logical answer for all that lousy pain. You've had lots of bumps on your back pain road and I'm sure there are going to be a whole lot more. Hang in there, only do what you can do, know you can always email us privately if you need to really vent and let it all hang out! We're there for you.

Archived