Granny's bowtie

I may have mentioned in a long ago post that I had knew two of my great-grandmothers. Muzzy taught me how to hand piece when I was 8. Granny (real name Maggie) taught me to hand quilt when I was 16. My Millie is named Miss Maggie Gray:) I have several quilt tops that Granny pieced but never quilted. About 9 years ago (can you say UFO), I basted Granny's bowtie quilt to batting/backing. On Monday, I finally undid the mess and put the quilt on the frame. It is not a thing of beauty, but the orange peel quilting should be solid enough to protect the seams. Now to bind it and decide whether to give it to my dad or my aunt. Granny has been gone for 30+ years now, but she is smiling someplace.

post--13461904707167_thumb.jpg

I think it is wonderful when we have the the chance to finish something which was started by our family members before us. I surely wish that I could come across a quilt top made by one of my grandmothers, I do have a very worn utility quilt that I cherish and I am planning on mounting it on some sort of a frame to hang on the wall to salvage the most intact portions of the quilt.

You did a great job and by getting this finished it will be a keepsake for many generations to come.

Just love your Granny's quilt, I really enjoy those kind of quilts, they had no rules, and always came out nice, and of course, could not wait for a new one to be done and be the first to sleep under it. Grammies made everything so special. But that was the mystery of our childish eyes!

Thank everyone for their kind words and support. I really do feel that Granny was watching over my shoulder while I worked. Things just went more smoothly than ususal. Dad gets this quilt; I'll have to see if I have another of Granny's tops to do for my aunt.

Again, I appreciate all the support from the forum. I learn so much and try to put that knowledge to good use. For example, I just recently bought a photographer's backdrop stand to hang quilts from for photographing; I used my beeswax to get rid of a slight 'chirp' while using the template for this quilt. Both of these were tips from the forum.

Lynn

Archived