my last season longarming

Well ladies I have finally made the decision to give my business one last push through the upcoming holiday season. If I don't get quite a bit more business this year I will admit defeat. I can't live off what I make and that has always been my goal. I will still longarm but I will look for a paying gig somewhere and quilt for myself. This has been a very hard decision for me. My huzbeast and I have fought about it for four years now. I would really appreciate your good thoughts and wishes that this season is the one that finally makes me some money.

Downhearted,

Nora Alquraisha

Good luck in this Nora.. it's hard, I've just begun getting paying customers.. the last few months it seems, so it can happen.

It is disheartening when we know it's what we can do, what we want to do, get all set up to do, and not enough happens.

Prayers that it turns around.. and a big ((((((((((((((Hug)))))))))))))))))

Ah Nora, I am right there with you. It is so slow around here at least for me. After 4 years I still don't make enough to make my payments, I still owe on Millie and the remodel to give her a home and all the "stuff" I have bought. My hubby is not a happy camper. Two of the local quilt shops have long arms and offer lessons and time on their machines which means not so much business.

I will be keeping you in my prayers for lots of customers and a very profitable season. Thinking of you my friend.

Nora and Bekah, two sweet lovely Moxies,

What a disappointment for you. I know at least one other Moxie that has felt the competition from quilt shop owners that buy their own machines and rent them out. I also know you all have been very loyal to the quilt shop owners, giving them referrals and taking classes, as well as quilting for free. Somehow it seems like it should be quid pro quo. Hey, Nora, on another thought....maybe getting rid of the huzbeast instead? Just kidding.:D:D:D:D:D

As I get ready to "come home" I hope you two will still be part of the longarming world. I can't wait to see you! Thoughts and prayers to all of the quilters struggling out there.

Nancy

I have a day gig and I'd like to get rid of it but also know there is no way I'll make what I make at my regular job so it is not an option. I didn't get my machine with the intent to go into business either. Some days I think about just quilting for myself and giving myself a break but then my quilting for others does pay for all those extra lovely things I like to have for my LA. It is just hard to fit it all in.

Nora, here's my perspective. I was the quilter (not the owner) for 3 years in a shop that owned their own machine, it closed. The machine quilting was a very big part of the business, might say it paid the rent plus...most other shop expenses. This year I decided to start a quilting business in my home. It's been very slow going. The reason I feel and have been told by former customers is they prefer going to a shop over a home given a choice. They like that a shop is open and they don't need to call ahead for appointments etc.

Myself beings I also work outside the home must do the appointment gig.

Possibly beings you don't work outside you could advertise shop hours (a window of time) each day in which customers could just show up without making an appointment. Just a thought.

Good Luck,

Terry

I find I need to do a lot of other jobs as well to make quilting a living. Teaching, speaking, writing and the longarming do bring in a living wage but no one of them would do it on it's own. Do you think you might be able to diversify?

I recently gave this a lot of thought and I don't think my machine has paid itself off yet after nearly 4 years. It is getting close, but that does mean that technically I haven't earned anything for the last 4 years with it.

Good luck

Ferret

So sorry to hear of your potential changes, Nora.

I hope the holiday season brings you a lot of business.

I know you are a diverse quilter--doing repairs and quilting vintage tops--but I know with expenses, longarming will not replace an outside job.

I guess it's the love of what you do that keeps you going when the money isn't there.

And Ferret is so right about needing to travel to teach, do trunk shows, etc. to augment your income. Also, putting together an instructional DVD to sell can help as well.

It really does become a full time job without benefits and no security.

I'll be thinking of you and hope it all works out for the best.

Dear Nora,

Sometimes age does have it's advantages.

I spent 30 years as a public "servant" and when first thinking of my retirement, I thought longarming would be a nice supplement to my pension. Then as the time approached I really looked at my life and decided I just wasn't interested in offering customer service to anyone at this stage of my life, so I chose to just quilt for me.

I have kept track of the quilts I have made and using average pricing that the longarmers in this area charge, I have more than paid for my machine in the 4 years I have had it. The real benefit is doing something I love, meeting people of the longarming world who are the absolute best and using the artistic side of my brain with no schedules, deadlines, etc.

So I guess my point is, what is the point of continuing to beat your brains out doing something that is causing a strain in your life. If you need to support yourself do it in another way and maintain the joy you have in using your wonderful talents. You can still quilt for others but doing the quilts you want to do, when you want to do them without the stress of a full time business.

The bottom line for me, anyway, is -- Live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment you are around, they go very quickly.

Wishing you the best.

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions they really help. Lynda I like your idea a lot as keeping a few customers will let me buy what I need for my hobby. It is just hard to admit something is not what you want it to be. This will give me more time for my quilts as I would like to show some of them. Maybe after I stop trying to make it a business in time it will be. I still have my day job at our produce store part time. Again thank you all.

Blessings,Nora

Nora ........ tough decision ............ but I like your attitude - "This will give me more time for my quilts as I would like to show some of them. Maybe after I stop trying to make it a business in time it will be." This might also bring you greater joy in your quilting. I am glad you are not throwing in the towel - just changing directions. Hugs..........

Nora

I can feel your disappointment as well, I am sorry you have put so much into this and not been able to make a full time job of it. I am not sure about your age and time of retirement, but it may be that if you do go back to work and keep your name out there with customers that you can keep some of those better customers and when you do decide to retire maybe the economy will be better and you can get back into it a little better. Best wishes and I hope you will be able to keep your machine and get your own quilts done.

Archived