Wholecloth

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Debi

I too love it! I had my first wholecloth in the Duluth show in the non-judged section of "Karen McTavish and Friends" and also had been quilting for about 6 months when I did mine. OMG---already I could do so much better (LOL I have been quilting now for about a year) and mine was 63" x 63". You were wise to do smaller! Do you know where you got the round rose stencil that is around your center? I had that one on mine as well---but it was Karen's stencil and I can't find it anywhere. My thought is that one day I will replicate the entire wholecloth----when I know what I am doing!

Regards

Answers to some questions....

d_blouinThe trapunto batting is 16oz Airtex that Karen McTavish uses in her wholecloth classes and then I used Hobbs Thermore Ultrathin for the main batting.

Diane - the rose stencil around the center was a fan stencil that I just repeated to make a circle. I don't know what the name of the stencil was. I did this quilt in a class with Karen McTavish so it was one of her stencils. Probably the same one that you used!!

JudiThe quilt was done using the cut away trapunto method. The entire process was fun and I can't wait to do it again!!

Q-FairyThanks for the offer, but I think I'll keep this one for me. I love wholecloth quilts and now that I know how to do them, there are plans for more. I've got lots of ideas that I just need to find time to get down on fabric!!

Thanks again everyone for all of the kind comments. I'm off now to put binding on the quilt and get it ready to ship out to Innovations.

Debbi

Your quilt is just breath takingly beautliful! Whole cloth quilts are my favorite tho I've not tackled one myself.

I've had mymachine less than a year and I'm no where near as good as you...guess I need to get in gear here. :)

Congrats! You should be very proud of your work.

Rita

Hi Debbi, I just took Karen McTavish's class this past weekend at (name removed)'s studio in Corvallis, Oregon. What a GREAT two days! Ironically, I used a couple of the same elements in mine that you used in yours. I'm still clipping but motivated to get it done. I'm debating if I want to use colored fabric under the top and under the muslin for the binding. Did you consider that? Your wholecloth is absolutely beautiful!! Wonderful job!! Good luck at Innovations!

Lisa Potter

Buzzy Bee Quilting

Debbi-

Your quilt is gorgeous - congratulations!

I just took Karen's class (Hi LISA!), and am cutting away the batting. It seems it will take forever, and my fingers are so sore! Seeing yours finished inspires me to keep at it. Thanks for showing us your work!:)

Lisa and Jill,

Sounds like you enjoyed the class with Karen as much as I did. Be sure to post pictures when you are finished. Keep cutting away at that batting, eventually the soreness in your fingers will go away!! :) I ended up buying a pair of Gingher embroidery scissors and my fingers didn't get quite as sore. I also had a pair of Omnigrid needlecraft scissors that I used. They are very small and have a very sharp point. They worked really well for cutting away the batting, especially in all of the itty-bitty spots and corners.

Debbi

It is so hard to believe that you were able to finish this in just 40-45 hours! :o I completely admire your patience, perseverance, and dedication to your craft! :D I can't even begin to imagine how you were able to cut away the batting around such tiny little places for your trapunto, and then stitch on the same stitching lines twice in miniature. Its perfect! Thank you for the inspiration!

Thank you for the info. It is a whole new world of quilting that I cant wait to try.

quote]Originally posted by dtreusch

Answers to some questions....

d_blouinThe trapunto batting is 16oz Airtex that Karen McTavish uses in her wholecloth classes and then I used Hobbs Thermore Ultrathin for the main batting.

Diane - the rose stencil around the center was a fan stencil that I just repeated to make a circle. I don't know what the name of the stencil was. I did this quilt in a class with Karen McTavish so it was one of her stencils. Probably the same one that you used!!

JudiThe quilt was done using the cut away trapunto method. The entire process was fun and I can't wait to do it again!!

Q-FairyThanks for the offer, but I think I'll keep this one for me. I love wholecloth quilts and now that I know how to do them, there are plans for more. I've got lots of ideas that I just need to find time to get down on fabric!!

Thanks again everyone for all of the kind comments. I'm off now to put binding on the quilt and get it ready to ship out to Innovations.

Debbi

Debbi,

Your quilt is stunning. I too, love those little roses, they are

so sweet. I have used the small stencil of them; nice in a

corner or triangle, too.

Now let me ask some technical questions.

I noticed that you have the quilt nailed down with push

pins. Is that what you call 'blocking'?

Is that a carpet or a movable rug that the quilt is on? My

only quilt-sized pieces of open floor are wood, so I wonder

if you can do this on a rug?

Did you wash it or soak it in the washer and if so, did you

spin it in the washer to remove excess water. Or did you

wring it out by hand?

How long does it take to dry on the carpet?

Do you have to be careful of rust on the pushpins?

Do you block all your quilts?

Is the reason for blocking to make it square? So will it both

shrink and stretch to the size you pinned? Make sense?

I know, lots of questions. But I know you will be too busy

for questions at Innovations.

Hi Linda. To answer your questions:

I noticed that you have the quilt nailed down with push

pins. Is that what you call 'blocking'? Yes it is blocking. I used yellow flower head pins to hold the quilt down until is was dry.

Is that a carpet or a movable rug that the quilt is on? My

only quilt-sized pieces of open floor are wood, so I wonder

if you can do this on a rug? The quilt is on a carpet with a pretty thick pad. In the class I had with Karen, she recommended making a board to use for blocking quilts.

Did you wash it or soak it in the washer and if so, did you

spin it in the washer to remove excess water. Or did you

wring it out by hand? I removed all of the markings with hot water in the bathtub then put the quilt in the washer on the gentlest spin cycle I had.

How long does it take to dry on the carpet? The quilt was on the carpet for about 2 days before I took it up.

Do you have to be careful of rust on the pushpins? I used yellow flower head pins and not pushpins. The pins were supposed to be rust proof, but just in case, I made sure that all of them were pinned within 1/4 inch of the edge so that any rust marks would be hidden by the binding. Thankfully, I didn't have any rust marks.

Do you block all your quilts? This is the first time I have ever blocked a quilt. I asked the question on this forum and was told that its best to block your quilt if it is going to be in a show.

Is the reason for blocking to make it square? Yes. So will it both

shrink and stretch to the size you pinned? Yes. Make sense?

I know, lots of questions. But I know you will be too busy

for questions at Innovations.

See you at Innovations.

Debbi

HI Debbie

I will try to answer some of your questions. I just finished a quilt from a class I took with Karen in December (ok I finished it in June and it was shown at the Duluth show) and heard some very discouraging remarks...mind you I had only been quilting 6 months when I did mine AND I had to take all the stitching out one time (the whole thing was quilted except for the tight work around the big trapunto on the borders....and was all loopy on the back so I painstaking took it all apart and started over for the show) anyway the remarks were on the fact it was not hanging straight. As I was picking the quilt up after the show (it was in the non-judged section by the way) one of the award winners heard my tale and told me to take it home and reblock it....and I did using the same method that Linda used pinning it to an Oriental rug with all the flower head pins. It hangs straight now! I believe Karen uses some of that blue foam board---which you could try if you only have hardwood floors. I put mine in the tub (bathtub) and then stomped on it....took it to the washer and spun it out and pinned it tight and straight and let it dry for about a day....toward the end I did put a window fan so it would blow over it. I don't have a large area that is not "in use" all day otherwise either. There is a BIG difference in how straight it is hanging now. Not nice though to hear remarks---even if you KNOW what they are saying is true!

:-)

Dianne

Linda in R - Also a good way to set-up for blocking, using the method by

Karen Mct - put down 2 pieces of insulation foam boards. They come in

4 foot by 8 foot sections at Home depot and such. Either Pink or Blue, color

does not matter for this. Then put down a clean sheet first, or flat blanket,

then laying your quilt on top of this and pin the heck out of it! Yes, those

flower head pins are the best! Nice and long - hold well - don't rust, perfect.

Set-up a fan blowing around it to help the drying process. Even having a

ceiling fan going helps move it along.

These boards are pretty easy to cut too. If you often do wall hanging size

quilts, you could cut / score the top side, and then carefully bending it back,

"snap" off the piece. Can get messy, like having those peanuts all over......

They are about 2" thick I think. After it is pinned well, if on one, you would

then be able to move it too. Give it a try and Good Luck!

May all your quilts be square...... without having to do all this extra stuff!!:D

Archived