need brutally honest answer

Hi !! I am starting on this quilt. It is a cute, very crisp and clean.... I need a rock solid opiinion....on what I have done so far... The look I am going for is the stem t have "flowers" on them and down on the bottom of the stem I have tried to McTavish for the first time on a REAL quilt. Before I do the other side of the stem, I need to know, do I need to "skin" this quilt? Or do you think it looks ok? BE HONEST! It will NOT hurt my feelings if you think I should take it out....It will just hurt my fingers..(after all the ripping);) Thanks! linda

post--13461904867648_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with Kristina...I also like the feathers better....however maybe if the McTavishing wasn't as large as you have it that may be what it needs as well. I don't think both should be the same size...one bigger and one smaller.

Please know that I'm only observing. I don't do freehand. So. . .the McT looks a little stiff, I think someone used the description "boxy". Your feathers look more "experienced". Maybe you could stick to the feathers in more areas and come back to this spot to decide whether to take it out or not. I hope my 2 cents help. Consider the source and go for your heart!

If you are doubting and needing to ask, maybe you should PPP on a muslin before going ahead here. If you try to "patch it up" and then need to rip out, it may not look as good.

Oh, I do hope this is helping. I'll close my mouth now. .....just looking for some universal advice to add. . .:o

I like the variety.. the only part to practice sewing on the McT is the square shape, they should be almost like a bunch of bananas... or so I've been told.. this is a real hard filler for me to do.. need lots more practice-drawing to be able to use in a QoV or customer quilt. Yours look closer to the bunch of bananas than mine do. Won't tell how I describe Mine!!! :P:P:P:D:D:D;)

Boni, :D You don't have to close your mouth now!!!:P:P:P I think I am agreeing with you 100%!! I walked away from it for the night, but I'm thinking tomorrow will be frogging day!!:o I'm not going to take out the feathers, just the attempt at the McTavishing! (key word there is ATTEMPT) :D I really do appreciate everyone's honesty here!! When the quilting's not so good, it's just not so good!!:o:D

First of all...Don't rip it out. Take a look at Laura's Celtic Monogram wallhanging that's in today's posts. She has more unjulation to her McTavishing and I think thats what you need to give you the movement and beauty that I think you're looking for. Add some sweeping curves that are longer and shorter little fill-in curves will naturally follow, giving you a nice variation in shapes.

And DON'T rip it out. Wait till you've done some more and then go back and see if its worth it to rip. It looks like you've only done a small section. I think it might be just fine to leave it.

You do very pretty work, Linda.

Jess

Linda, I think your feathers are beautiful and with the stems why not do echo quilting so as to not detract from the lines of the feathers. Viewers eye will follow the lines to the feathers and they will be emphasized. There is a time for McT. but I dont think it is right around your feathers if your are trying to emphasize them.

Archived