Grandmother's Flower Garden

Here is a closeup of one block. This quilt is 87X99 - so it's a good one...I loved every block - all original 1930's fabrics!! It is going to be bound today...I want this qult! Thank you for your input on this one. I used "Follow Your Dreams" stencil, (I love stencils now), then freehanded the vine/leaves...

Oh Barbara, like you, I only show the good quilting;) I got the stencil from The Stencil Company, ordered it on-line. I think any continous line stencil will work, however, I did need to fit it to the size of the block. I had a couple that were too small and looked lost in the block. I just selected a stencil that the points came close to the edge of the block. After I completed this quilt, I was ready to order every continous line block in the book and a truck load of Miracle Chalk. I looked like Pig Pen after I was finished quilting everyday, so I can see why people wear aprons. I need and apron and a gas mask:P

Mary Beth, I love love love the leaves. What a good idea!!!! I have started on my own paper-pieced flower garden....don't know when it will be finished or how big it will be (when I get too old to do more....that's how big), but now I have an idea of how to quilt it.

I wonder if it would have worked to put the laser light on the front of the machine and use the stencil up front, without marking the quilt. It would probably be too hard to place it exactly right.

Great job!

Great job Mary Beth:

Doing an antique quilt top scares the pants off me, they come with so much history, (most of it in the closet ;)). Now this one gets to see the light of day, & keep someone warm.

Wonderful work, I admire your bravery, & your freemotion.

Thanks for remembering to show us the finished quilt. :)

Yea, I saved the day...(it really wasn't me - the "Great Ones" out there in cyber space told me what to do). Thank you for the boost. My confidence level is pretty low, you guys are really helping. I was so afraid to post the pictures.

I used Quilter's Dream Blend the 70/30 one.

You should feel VERY PROUD. You have done a great job:). I too am afraid of doing an antique quilt. I had just gotten my Milli when a friend asked me to quilt a top that she had pieced for a friend and the blocks were signature blocks from the late 40's & early 50's. I turned it down because I just wasn't confident enough. Now (almost 2 months later) I don't know if I would take it on or not, but at least I would think about it a bit longer befor I made a decision on it.:o

How funny that you should post a picture of your flower garden. I just finished my first flower garden because I am going to teach how to piece it at the LQS. I love how you did yours, mine is a meandering leaf design that I free-handed.

Turns out that I love the hand-pieceing so much, I am making another one, and this one will be hand-quilted by and kept by me!

Beth

Thank you all for your uplifiting comments. You are so nice, I don't know what I was worried about:)

I think I ordered the stencil, "Follow Your Dreams" from The Stencil Company, web address: www.quiltingstencils.com . I know they have it anyway. The one I used was 6", but it will depend on the size of the block. I think it comes in 3 or so sizes.

Did I say - I love stencils now!!

Archived