My version of Dove in the Window, finished top

The top completed with a one inch white frame border and a 6 inch outer green border. All corners are mitered to follow the look of the lines of the center design. The top is about 49 inches square.

I made this for my daughter's boyfriend's mom who is starting radiation treatments. Pattern idea found, figured out and made in about 2 weeks.

Now check out what is going on the back!

post--13461905087162_thumb.jpg

This will go on the back. The mom likes to do crossword puzzles, so we created one with the answers being the family names, the quilter info, date, and various positive thought words from scriptures. We used birthdays as clues for the kids names, the meaning of the hubby's name, and the references for the positive words. Yes, I will send the answer key with my daughter when it is presented. This piece is 25 inches across and 28 inches long.

This might be as close as I get to making a mini!!! Each of the white squares are 1 inch finished. We will send a pigma pen so she can fill in her own crossword answers.

This was a lot of the way I spent Thanksgiving day. (we did the family thing Friday) The time it took to make it all when added together would be a nice weekend retreat time.

Sandra G, thanks for the inspiration of your quilt. I appreciate it so much.

post--13461905087365_thumb.jpg

Thank you all. Today I will add the bring up to size borders on the backing, and then set a time to pin and quilt it--all before the kids take it to NH Dec. 22. Now time to start the gift quilt for my son's fiancee, I made one for each of the three sons-in-law for their first Christmas with us as fiances, so I can't blow it for her.

this quilt did go together well and without a lot of figuring it out frustration.

Madelyn, I would do some sort of tight background fill with white thread in the white areas to make the doves pop. Feathers in the doves and in the border in green thread...and maybe something swirly in the corner blocks in green thread. She is going to love it!

Edited: Piano keys or beadboard would look good in the outer border, too! ;)

Archived