marvy markers vs. white chalk?

marvy markers vs. white chalk

I just purchased purple Marvy air erase markers. I've been told they just "go away" and don't have to be washed out. Can you let me know your thoughts please? I have a special quilt to do for a client that is destined for "large shows." She didn't prewash and doesn't want to wash afterwards.

Do I dare mark with Marvy?

If not, is there a fine /skinny white chalk that you recommend? I've been sharpening white Crayola chalk, which is super for many things. However, the line isn't very thin, so accuracy can be a problem.

Many thanks!

SewLine makes a ceramic lead pencil, like a mechanical pencil with very fine lead. Fons and Porter makes one like it, and there are others, too. It comes in white and black. It erases with the eraser tip on the pencil. The white erases very well...the black, not so much. It can smear on light colored fabric, but is supposed to wash out. I wouldn't recommend the black for your project, but sounds like you need the white anyhow. Your LQS should have them, as does JoAnn and many on line sources. They are great, since they make a very fine line, and need no sharpening. Still, I would use light pressure since this project will not be washed.

I use a purple air-erase pen almost exclusively--with the humidity here the lines stay for a good day. And they easily remove with water as well. I remove the marks with a water-dispensing pen or a Q-tip dipped in water--so I don't have to spritz and completely saturate the top. This is great if you have concerns about bleeding fabric.

For darks, I use and recommend the Bohin white marker.

IMHO there is no perfect marker. Test ANY product on the actual fabrics before stitching. I'm currently using the purple air-erase marker and the gray Quilters Choice pencils from Roxanne. Can't wait to see what you do with the quilt, Nancy in Tucson

I agree with Nancy. I love my Sewline fine line but I always wash it out. I worry about the air erasable markers never being washed out. It is a chemical and I surely don't want that hanging around in my quilts forever. I always go for school chalk whenever I can. Ask the quilt maker for some extra scraps and test to see what works out best for you.

Thank you, thank you. everyone!

When I think of amazing gifts, I think of all of you. Although I've met only a few of you in person, I feel like I know you. Having longarm quilters to touch base with is the most amazing resource. You are the BEST!

I've also written to the Marvy Company, asking them about potential stains, etc. So far, no response, but I'll let you know what they say.

I never knew Shower to Shower shows up under black light. Amazing stuff! I have used black light powder, but the warnings about wearing gloves, being toxic , etc. makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks again for the great comments and for any that are still coming. Merry Christmas!

:cool:

Originally posted by ffq-lar

I use a purple air-erase pen almost exclusively--with the humidity here the lines stay for a good day. And they easily remove with water as well. I remove the marks with a water-dispensing pen or a Q-tip dipped in water--so I don't have to spritz and completely saturate the top. This is great if you have concerns about bleeding fabric.

Linda,

What brand of water-dispensing pen do you use and where did you purchase it? Thanks!

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Linda,

What is a water dispensing pen and where could I get one? I'd really like to use Marvy markers on custom quilts but want to be sure the markings are gone/watered-down.

Thanks so much!

She doesn't like to prewash her fabric, but isn't positive it won't bleed. I personally prefer to block show quilts to insure they are square, but she doesn't feel that way. Fortunately, the quilts I've done for her have all hung square so far. May that always be the case. Keep your fingers crossed.

You may have seen her quilt at Innovations this year. It's called Cactus Rose (won the Peer ribbon). It also took 2nd place in the large traditional category at PIQF this Fall. Gorgeous quilt!

Sure appreciate (and agree with!) your comments, Sheila.

Many thanks!

LIN

Linda,

What brand of water-dispensing pen do you use and where did you purchase it? Thanks!

Sorry--I missed this question.

I use two different pens.

One--my favorite--is an Aqua Doodle pen normally used with the art toy. You can find these at WalMart and Toy-R-Us for about $8 with two pens included. They have a small reservoir for water, so I keep mine standing in water when I am using it a lot.

The other pen is from Japan. I bought it at Innovations from a vendor. It has a brush tip and a reservoir--you dispense the water by squeezing it. It works OK but I prefer the cheaper, more available Aqua Doodle pen.

Originally posted by Gator

I agree with everything here. Be careful if you decide to use the "purple air erase". If it gets hit with the iron it will leave a permanent brown line, also keep it out of the sun which can have the same effect.

I've never had this happen with the purple pen, but the blue wash out pen only I have had brown lines from just the heat of the lights in my studio.

Pesonally I wash my quilts as soon as the bindings are on...I want them clean after all the handling, and the marking pens I use I want them all smelling good and nice, and antiqued.

The Sew Line pens in green or pink I have had trouble getting out of white fabric with just plain detergent so the next washing...I smired on stick "Shout" on them they both came out.

Archived