Question about start-up Panto's

Someone please help!

I'm waiting for my machine to arrive and are battling a few issues while counting the days. How did you ladies start out your businesses with regards to Panto's? I've found a site from which I want to order countless numbers of Panto's :D:D:D- They are all just so wonderful :cool: - it's like an addiction. But I've just ordered quite a bit of threads which weren't cheap :o! So I'm trying to keep finances in check too.

Do I buy just say half a dozen to start with and build it out gradually? I thought of printing the designs of the net, present these pictures to the customers and then order the panto's as they choose it and just lengthen my turn around time by 2-3 weeks? Would it work this way? Don't know what to do....

Would be helpful to know how you all started your collection of panto's out without breaking the bank... all suggestions welcome :)

I would first make sure I like to do pantos and would only get a couple to start. Then once you decide you like doing them then I'd buy a small variety, say leaves, swirls, feathers, stars and simple designs. Urban Elementz has a panto of the month and I did that for a year. IT was a great way to get a good variety on hand and I love all their designs. The nice part about those is that you also get a border, block and triangle designs. Good bang for the buck and only 19.95 a month.

On buying panto's, I would and do order or buy a few at a time, as finances permit. I doubt I'd offer anything to the customers that I don't have on hand. After you've quilted and practiced, practiced and practiced and have at least moderate control of the machine, you will have a better idea of what you need.

To let the customer decide is turning your business over to them, to run. They also may choose a pattern you will never use again so that's a waste of time..

Then there are edge to edge panto's, square panto's and round panto's and heart shaped panto's..

As your business picks up, you will have a much better idea of what you need. I'd really recommend the Quiltazoid, and the millions of patterns it can make.. not cost prohibitive, and new designs and patterns are added every few months or so.

Good luck with the business, if you are like so many of us, it will be a slow start.. just be patient.

Originally posted by RitaR

On buying panto's, I would and do order or buy a few at a time, as finances permit. I doubt I'd offer anything to the customers that I don't have on hand. After you've quilted and practiced, practiced and practiced and have at least moderate control of the machine, you will have a better idea of what you need.

To let the customer decide is turning your business over to them, to run. They also may choose a pattern you will never use again so that's a waste of time..

Then there are edge to edge panto's, square panto's and round panto's and heart shaped panto's..

As your business picks up, you will have a much better idea of what you need. I'd really recommend the Quiltazoid, and the millions of patterns it can make.. not cost prohibitive, and new designs and patterns are added every few months or so.

Good luck with the business, if you are like so many of us, it will be a slow start.. just be patient.

Does your customers give you free reign with the panto's?

I've printed a few freebie panto's from the web that I will be practicing on when the machine arrives.... That should help getting into the swing of the "Panto Shuffle":D

I guess I want everything in place from the get-go, and it just isn't that easy... I want to be organised and ready and the fact that I am a perfectionist doesn't help either...

Funny you mentioned the Quiltazoid - I've been on that site again this afternoon (it's late afternoon here)

Thank you for your advice. It helps! :)

hi marlene -

i would wait on ordering the pantos to make sure you like doing pantos - you will get a couple from apqs with your new machine and you can use those to decide.

personally - i'm not a fan of working from the back of the machine - but have learned to tolerate pantos for quilts that i need to get done in a hurry.

have fun with your new machine - you are going to love it~

I agree with Meg, try out the ones you get with your machine first and make sure that you like doing them...then I would just order 2-3 that you know are generic, some good ones are swirls, leaves, popcorn, I found that I used those the most on customer quilts and they are easy and quick. Since I have a 2-3 month backlog, I plan ahead and order a specific panto if the customer wants it and it is ready to use when it is time to quilt their quilt....

but like Meg, I prefer to do custom and work from the front of the machine, but some people just can't or don't want to pay for custom so the panto's are your bread and butter.

If you get a chance to go to a show where they are selling pantos, go. You can pull them out and look at the complexity. Try mentally quilting the lines and see if you're getting something that will drive you nuts or lets you sing as you roll along. Also, look for the ones that show the preceeding row. These are helpful in lining up your next row when doing interlocking designs. Once you start using them, you'll soon learn which designers make the easiest ones to follow and still give the great results you want.

Hi Marlene,

I see you're in South Africa, and wonder if the postage wouldn't be more than the cost of the pattern. If you go to www.DigiTechPatterns.com, you'll see that you can order pdf files that you can print yourself and tape together.

Contact Jessica (owner of the site) and she'll help you out. There is also a free software she recommends to make printing the patterns out quite easy.

Jessica carries MANY designer's patterns, including some of my own, and will be able to help you out with suggestions for "beginner" patterns that look great and give even coverage. She also has great sales on and most new patterns are 30%-50% off for ten days. I just ordered Drunken Feathers in digital format for $7.50. :)

Here are some things to look for in panto patterns if you're a beginner:

Organic shapes - leaves, flowers, loops - avoid anything that is very symmetrical because it will be glaring when you are off

Curved lines - straight lines, especially on a diagonal, are hard to do at firs

Open patters - lines that are at least 1" apart. Some patterns are very close together and dense. If the lines are close together, it's easy to be off and cross over another line. If they are dense (lots of lines in an area), it will take a long time to stitch.

To stretch your budget, get a few generic designs like the ones that have been suggested above that could be used on a number of quilts. Don't buy specific patterns (cats, boats, music) that would only go with a few themed quilts.

Angel Wings is great for kid quilts

Any pattern with a lot of swirly lines like Popcorn - you need something for guys

Leaves

Flowers

Julia

Marlene you have received great advice already. I am one of those who enjoys doing pantos as well as doing custom. I do order special pantos for my special customers. I have a couple who can't afford custom so we compromise by a custom panto that they pick out. I really like Heidi's idea of you going the digitech way.

Congratulations on your machine. You are going to have so much fun.

Well, I hated pantos for the first year I had my Liberty, but I eventually decided to like them. I bought a few pantos in the beginning that I liked and planned to practice with on my own quilts. I had a number of Thimbleberries quilt tops for 2 years of T Clubs I had once joined, so I bought designs I could use on that type of fabric.

After I finally got comfortable with pantos, I ordered a number of types that I could offer to my customers. I ordered several with leaves, several with flowers, several good for baby quilts, several that would work on men's quilts.

I did order one with musical notes for a customer who then decided she didn't like it (even though she picked it out). She decided to go with very large freehand stars & loops because it was 1/2 a penny cheaper than the panto price. So, you do need to be careful ordering for customers. I did use this panto for another customer some months later and it was just perfect for her t-shirt quilt which was for a band member and was all his old band shirts.

From time to time a run "specials." In July I ran a Christmas and Winter special for 2 months. I gave a discount to anyone who wanted a Christmas panto or a winter panto done on their quilt. I just needed either the quilt, or a committment for a date anythime during that 2 month period, although I would plug them into a slot anywhere up to Dec 1. I did ask for a $50 deposit to hold their spot, because previously when I held spots, people didn't have their quilt ready, so I lost out on the money for that time slot. For this special I ordered 6 pantos - 3 Christmas and 3 generic winter. I didn't use them all. But, on the other hand, they won't go out of style and they will still fit next year. :)

Another thing to consider is the price range of the pantos. I ordered some pantos that I will charge $.015 per sq inch, but most are $.02 per sq inch. I have a few that are more, because they are a real PITA and I don't like doing them. Plus they take so long to do!

If you have a pile of UFO's in your closet, perhaps order a few pantos for yourself and practice on your own quilts to see what you think about using them.

For instant gratification, I would suggest the pattern boards. You just can't go wrong with them, in my opinion. The only down side to them is the cost. They are much more expensive than paper pantos, but they will also last a lifetime. There are lots to choose from and the people are always coming out with new designs. You will use them over and over again. They are also fast to do and always accurate.

I think I am rambling now, so I better get started on my laundry now. Good luck with what you decide.

You want to be careful when purchasing pantos until you get a better idea of what works well for you. I now avoid 'row' looking pantos and much prefer interlocking. Size makes a big difference as does the width. The more you can quilt before advancing the top the more efficient you are - so look for those that will optimize your quilting area.

Also, I made the mistake of purchasing lots of pantos my 2nd year and have found a good number of them have never been requested. So now I will print pictures and order as needed. They come real quick so it's never been a problem. My turnaround is longer than the shipping time and if it has to be a rush they choose what's on hand. Your library will build up over time.

Have Fun.

Oh Darlene - that is the best news ever!!!

The postage equals the price of one panto, and once it gets here, I still have to pay custom duties on them (roughly 3 x panto's price...) so hurray for e-patterns :P:)

I will definately bookmark this:)

Thank you!

Originally posted by Darlene Epp

Hi Marlene,

I see you're in South Africa, and wonder if the postage wouldn't be more than the cost of the pattern. If you go to www.DigiTechPatterns.com, you'll see that you can order pdf files that you can print yourself and tape together.

Contact Jessica (owner of the site) and she'll help you out. There is also a free software she recommends to make printing the patterns out quite easy.

Jessica carries MANY designer's patterns, including some of my own, and will be able to help you out with suggestions for "beginner" patterns that look great and give even coverage. She also has great sales on and most new patterns are 30%-50% off for ten days. I just ordered Drunken Feathers in digital format for $7.50. :)

I found this topic so interesting. I have several pantos that I really like: Bountiful Feathers, Bubbles for kids quilts and Feather Me always turns out nice.

Now a question: What exactly do you mean by interlocking panto and can you give me an example so I can look at it on the web?

Also, I have not heard of pattern boards? Can you fill me in?

Good luck on getting going. It took me a lot longer than I anticipated to get some confidence but everyone's different.

Originally posted by jans

I found this topic so interesting. I have several pantos that I really like: Bountiful Feathers, Bubbles for kids quilts and Feather Me always turns out nice.

Now a question: What exactly do you mean by interlocking panto and can you give me an example so I can look at it on the web?

Also, I have not heard of pattern boards? Can you fill me in?

Good luck on getting going. It took me a lot longer than I anticipated to get some confidence but everyone's different.

Hi Jan--interlocking pantos are drawn in such a way that the edges are not straight across--which can result in an unattractive "row" look. The edges run up and down so one row "nests" with the next.

Pattern boards are grooved boards made of plastic and cut accurately with a router or laser--they look exactly like a panto, but you use a metal stylus in the groove to trace the design. The stylus attaches to your carriage, just like your laser, and you push the stylus along the grooves.

Popular pattern board companies are--

Circlelord www.loriclesquilting.com

R&S www.rns-design.com

Quilt EZ www.quilt-ez.com

You will get a few pantos with your machine. I would practice with those then venture out. Play with your machine and get a feel for how you want to move out into the wonderful world of long arm quilting. I agree with Heidi the clubs are usually a great bargain, I get digital designs but they have matching pantos.

Archived