brake cover

Okay may be some one can tell me why my brake still moves after I replaced the velcro on it. If I tighten the screw handle any tighter is is very hard to put down and small filings come off of it. Don't want to wear it out by keeping it that tight but then I have to deal with the roller moving enough to cause the fabric to shift. Am I not doing something right?

I had the same problem but found a simple fix in my kitchen drawer. I cut in half one of the rubber gripper discs used to open jars. I slide half a slice between brake and roller and the problem is solved. I first tried a piece of the rubber mesh no slip material used under throw rugs but found it didn't last very long.

Hope this helps someone else.

Jean

I'll have to look for it on the APQS site and see about ordering one to have on hand. I am working on a custom quilt and I have 2 more coming up. The next one I'll be starting this weekend took the lady over 1,000 hours to piece! I can't risk tucks in the backing because my break keeps slipping.

I'm glad you were multi-tasking. :P

Hi Everyone,

We do have different roller brakes available for the Millennium/Freedom SR table, as well as for the Lenni (and now Lucey) table. The metal brake follows the contour of the roller and still uses a pressure handle to keep the rollers tight. The Millie brake is $49.95 and the Lenni/Lucey brake is $39.95. If you do not have the motorized fabric advance, you'd want to order two brakes for your table instead of one.

Here's a photo of the brake:

post--13461905464855_thumb.jpg

Hi Linda,

I sent APQS an e-mail last night asking about the new brake and yes, the Millie brake will fit our Libertys because our frame/roller diameter is the same as the ones used for the Millies. Dawn answered me at 11:20 PM! Does she ever sleep? LOL

She also told me about a tiny set screw to tighten. I don't have anything that fits it at home, so I'll have to stop at the hardware store and get the tiny tool and give it a try. This might be my problem, as I never tightened the thing.

It's good to know there is a new brake, too. I told Dawn I would try the screw first and if that doesn't work I'll order the new brake. But, After reading the part on her post above about using 2 brakes, humm, maybe that's the best answer.

Thanks, Lisa. Yep, I have the auto advance. OK, so I only need one brake. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought perhaps 2 would be better than one. :)

My velcro bunched up the first time around and I kept pulling and tugging on it to straighten it out, but finally bought replacement heavy duty velcro and a bottle of Goo Be Gone to clean off the old residue. That only lasted since the fall and it kept bunching up. I replaced it for the second time about a week ago. But, my brake is starting to slip again.

I plan to get the little tool to tighten the set screw Dawn told me about, so that may fix my slipping problem. IF not, then I'll get the new brake and see how that compares.

Ladies,

The metal brake also has Velcro "padding" on the inside of the brake to prevent it from scratching your rollers and to give it better "bite". However, because it adheres to metal instead of painted hardwood, it should stay put.

You'd order a "Millie" brake for a Millennium, Freedom/SR or Liberty table, and a "Lenni" brake for a Lenni or Lucey table.

Archived