Superior Top Thread Tension Gauge

meg

well, folks, it's a miracle. :P:D:P:D

i followed all the instructions and set the tension for lola-baby just as the directions said using my shiny new toy, and you will not believe it but...

I GOT LOLA-BABY TO PLAY NICE WITH KING TUT!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

before, all they did was snarl at each other. today, they were besties.

life is good. all is well in my quilty world. ;)

Originally posted by connieb

Wow, that's great. I may need to get one of those. Lenni decided she didn't want to play nice with Glide thread and Magna glide bobbins yesterday.

Really good to hear a report on the top tension gauge. I'll have to get one next time I order something.

I'm having a bit of trouble with Glide and the Magna Glide bobbins, also. Doing some TT and at the seam intersections where they meet there is a thread goober on the bottom. I'm so surprised at this because the Magna Glide bobbins up to now have been spectacular.

i must tell you guys that the tension gauge only gives you the 'recipes' for superior threads, no other companies have numbers listed. i'm really not sure if you could use the numbers for threads of similar weights. you could try it. superior has always been my favorite brand anyhoo. with this new gadget, i REEEALY love em. :)

you also need a TOWA to make it work. i already had one of these.

i never thought it would work cause it has you set the bobbin tension so high...but it did. :o

it said that the tests were done using superbobs, but it worked just fine for me on the bobbins i wound myself using BL. ;)

:) That sounds great!

I've ordered one but I have to wait until it is shipped all over the ocean ... :( It's a pity, but there is almost nothing for Longarm machines I could order in Germany. I always have to bite the bullet: waiting about one to three or four weeks and very expensive shipping cost... So you're really glad Ladies living in a paradies for LA :) :cool:

Hi Kirsten,

Would it be easier to order from the UK to Germany?. The postage may be cheaper I don't know. Anyway Superior threads and the tension guides are available at barnyarns.co.uk you might want to check it out?

Just a thought.

Oh, I'm very disappointed to hear it only works with Superior threads. Bummer. Life is so much broader than only one brand of thread...at least in my household. I was wondering if I could/would use one of these, but now, I know it's not in my future...since it only works with about 1/4 or less of the brands I use. Bummer again :(

I know Mike, at Mike's Machine Shop (well loved HQ Dealer) sells one also. His is non-battery style and isn't programmed with anything. It's much more like the Towa, in that you find the perfect tension, and use it to set your top thread tension. Just a thought.

Of course, I haven't used one yet, so don't really NEED one...but thought it would make tension setting a tad faster...and I like gadgets :)

Debbie in Austin

Debbie,

You can use the gauge with any brand of thread. Superior just worked with their own threads for obvious reasons! Once you figure out what the correct tension is with the gauge on the threads you use, make a note of the number. The next time that you use that particular thread use the gauge to check the tension number. I think that there is a chart on the Superior site that can be downloaded to keep a record of the threads that you use that are not on their list.

Sue

debbie - i'm sure you could use the gauge with any type of thread. they just dont give you the 'recipe' for any other thread manufacturers. you could use the closest superior product as a starting point and adjust from there.

Originally posted by dgroby

Oh, I'm very disappointed to hear it only works with Superior threads. Bummer. Life is so much broader than only one brand of thread...at least in my household. I was wondering if I could/would use one of these, but now, I know it's not in my future...since it only works with about 1/4 or less of the brands I use. Bummer again :(

I know Mike, at Mike's Machine Shop (well loved HQ Dealer) sells one also. His is non-battery style and isn't programmed with anything. It's much more like the Towa, in that you find the perfect tension, and use it to set your top thread tension. Just a thought.

Of course, I haven't used one yet, so don't really NEED one...but thought it would make tension setting a tad faster...and I like gadgets :)

Debbie in Austin

• 2 weeks later...

I had ordered the new top tension gauge and my source was out of stock. I checked Superior's web site and they are out of stock. So I did what I always do when I want to find something... Google. :D I found a shop that has some available if anyone is interested, and she said the shipping would be about $5.00. As info. 1-877-778-4586.

http://stores.countryloftquilt.com/-strse-494/Superior-Top-Thread-Tension/Detail.bok

I received the top tension gauge today from Country Loft Quilts and they did charge actual shipping, which was $5.25, but they added sales tax, also, which brought the total to $42.80.

I got an email from Superior yesterday that the tension gauge is now available from them, for anyone still wanting to order one.

Archived