R&S Boards?

I'm thinking of getting a few pattern boards and was looking at the R&S and Quilt EZ. The CL spiral is too wide for the Liberty to comfortably quilt with - it's 12". The other 2 are 10".

Can anyone who has used the R&S give me a review. I know the CL boards are a much heavier grade board with deeper groves. I can get an adapted stylus that will fit the R&S - so now I need a review. Does the stylus stay in the grove? are they smooth?

And if anyone has gone computerized and is selling their boards please let me know.

Thanks

I love the R & S boards, as much as the Quiltaqzoid. The topper boards I have work just as well.

I've No knowledge personally, 0f the CL. or Quilt EZ. Make sure you have the stylus to properly fit whatever boards you do buy. Good Luck.

I really like the R&S boards too. I'm currently quilting a quilt using the Fossil boards that I got from R&S (I'll post a pic as soon as it's done). The design is really pretty. I have found that when using the boards I need to look ahead to where I'm going...the same when following a pantograph. If I don't I tend to wobble in the groove a little and don't get as smooth a line as I'd like. I haven't tried any of the other boards out there so I can't give an opinion on those.

Thanks Kristina - can't believe you have a Millie and Liberty as well. Don't you just love being able to move from one to the other when you get tired of what you're working on. Did that all week as I had a major show quilt on the Millie. Gotta love our life.

I have the baptist fan and clam shell R&S boards. I love the baptist fan, although there is a little bit of play with the stylus in the groove. I have learned to stay to one side of the groove and things line pretty well then. I have not even tried the clam shell yet. Haven't had just the right quilt for it yet.

I just ordered the baptist fan boards, I love how they looked on Robin's quilt and have a customer that wants that on her civil war quilt. I love CL too but have not been able to afford the larger boards yet, I know they pay for themselves but wanted to try R & S too.

May I ask how many of each you have to order since they are only 24 inches long? With a panto you only order one and you roll it out but it looks like you would need to order 3 boards to do a quilt that is 72 inches wide and that can get expensive if you are a newbie like me. Although boards look like they might give better results since you use a stylus in a groove.

I only use one RnS board at a time.. it is clamped to the EZ turntable, we stitch to the end.. stop with needle down.. needle is then raised slightly so the pattern board assembly is moved forward so the stylus drops into the beginning spot on the board.. I think the only time you might want more than one duplicate board is if you just have to stitch from the back of the machine. I do all my work from the front.

Hope this helps..

I think from a time perspective I'd go with multiple boards, moving it would probably drive a person like me nuts as I'm a just a tiny bit hyper - okay - mostly in overdrive. Still mulling this decision over for that reason...not sure I really want to part with $'s I may not really need to.

O too love R&S boards as they are so fast and easy to use. However, I do have a question for anyone who may have on of the rope boards. I don't see an obvious path of least resistance on this board. Has anyone used the rope design and come up with a good path that uses the least amount of backtracking possible. I admit I have not tried it on fabric, I just keep scratching my head and saying well this might work??? thanks I know someone must have taken the plunge and figured it out already.

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

O too love R&S boards as they are so fast and easy to use. However, I do have a question for anyone who may have on of the rope boards. I don't see an obvious path of least resistance on this board. Has anyone used the rope design and come up with a good path that uses the least amount of backtracking possible. I admit I have not tried it on fabric, I just keep scratching my head and saying well this might work??? thanks I know someone must have taken the plunge and figured it out already.

I will try......

Start at the top of the "S". Stitch down the S to the end point. Backtrack to the connecting line (just the "hump") and start at the bottom of the next S. Stitch to the top of that S. Here's the clue--"hump" over the top of the next S, backtrack down to finish that one. Backtrack over to the bottom connecting line--make that S.

So, swoosh down, backtrack to the line, swoosh up, hump over, backtrack back, swoosh down, backtrack to the line, swoosh up, hump over, rinse, repeat....:P

Every-other hump, both top and bottom, will have a backtrack. Ta dah!:cool:

Archived