Quilt is talking to me in jibberish...can you help me decipher?

I've had this quilt trying to speak to me for a several weeks now, and all I hear is jibberish. I took pictures thinking maybe something would lead me in the right direction as to how to quilt it, and too many things are still trying to get my attention. Any suggestions would be welcome as to how she wants to be quilted. Customer says "do whatever".

The center brown block is 12 inches just to give you a clue as to the size of it. Each little block is 3 inches along with the outside border. Sorry couldn't get the whole quilt in the picture today. Too windy outside. Thanks for looking.

post--13461905711989_thumb.jpg

Must be the day for jibberish quilts! I posted for help on one today also.:)

I like yours and can see it would be tough to figure out what to put on it! Though I'm sure there will be better ideas, I see the golden brown sashing area as really standing out with feathers or a neat stencil connecting through that area. Maybe you can do the same design in the darker sashing-like areas too. Maybe a feather wreath in the big center block.

Have fun and post when done. Good luck!

Thanks, Julie. I thought about a music panto (which I don't have one yet).

Lisa, yours didn't talk to me either other than nested circles around the yo-yo's. That would take some time though and your customer wants it now sounds like. Thanks for the ideas on mine.

To me, the fabric is doing a lot of talking and it's drowning out the voice of the quilt......maybe that's why you're hearing jibberish.

The main place the quilting will show up is the gold block and strips and the white areas.

Maybe continuous music notes in the gold sashing and violins in the gold square, either one large one or 4 small ones pointing out at each corner, with a fill around them.

When I'm looking for a specific design, I search Google Images for "line drawing violin" for instance. Then you could print and size it on your copier and make a stencil or just trace the design before loading the top.

The rest of the quilt could be most anything you want it to be, something simple since the fabric is speaking so loud.

Just some ideas.

But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't just do an allover on it, but still do something special in the center gold block, maybe.

Your customer's violin fabric is overwhelmed by all the different prints and muddied contrast.

What a shame, since she was probably so thrilled to find the violin fabric and must

have a special recipient in mind. Her piecing looks great.

Because of the difficulty in finding way to quilt to accent some outstanding feature (since there really isn't one)

I would vote for an overall as well.

A easy one would work--even loops, since an intricate panto or overall will be lost on these fabrics

and only mean more hunting by the viewer to make sense of it all.

I don't know really how to say this except I'm glad I'm not the only one not being able to focus on anything in particular on this quilt. Makes me think maybe I'm starting to "get it" on "reading" quilts. This is really a lovely pieced quilt with a theme she was going for, and I just have to accept that whatever I quilt won't "make" the quilt or really add anything to the quilt. Thank you for all your input and I've taken it all into consideration. I'm waiting on a phone call from the customer to make sure she'd be okay with just an all over of something. Ya'll are the best sharers (if that's a word) on this forum.:)

Terry,

Yes that is a busy quilt but I think if you use the right batting you can still make it play music! LOL Here are my doodles. I think I would make sure to push back all those areas that are competing with the feature fabric. You should just do a simple stipple since it really won't matter what you do. You just want to push it back. I would just SID around all the dark stars and let those puff up so they pop. In the ouside border you could do almost anything. I personally think the echoed lines would be best because it will give it great structure. In the center you could do what I drew or put something else in there that would be meaningful to the maker.

post--13461905712709_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Heidi, for the quilting drawing. I talked to the customer this evening and she doesn't think with the pattern that any quilting will be able to be showcased on this quilt either. She's okay with whatever I want to do on it.

I appreciate ya'lls input. Thanks again.

Archived