Calling all curved crosshatch experts -- Done with Photo

Take a picture, print it out and draw your cross hatching to see which way you would like it and what size. It would look great in the curve area. I mark my lines on the quilt first to make sure the lines are even, then quilt. How big is the block???

I like this block, I can see tiny back ground fill to make the applique stand out and cross hatching on the outside of the block, you won't have as much backtracking. Hope this helps you a little. :)

I would like to see it again after it is quilted. :):):)

Personally, I don't see curved crosshatching for this block at all. All of the pieces are already curved. When I use curved corsshatching, it is to counter-balance angular designs. Regular straight cross-hatching is what comes to mind for this block with all its existing curves and the irregular placement of the orange-peel sections on the background. By that, I mean the way the sections do not line up with diagonal lines from corner to corner across the block.) Just MHO.

My first thoughts were to follow the waving lines in the background with quilting, and then do some simple curved crosshatch on the leaves. But perhaps most of you do not normally quilt on top of applique' at all?

Another question, I plan to SID around each applique' piece. Do I remember that some of you also quilt very close to the edge on top of the applique' as well?

I think you are right about CCH not contrasting with the background, although I have received some simple CCH that I think would work. Thank you for your input! I don't like to stitch on top of applique', but my customer wants at least some quilting on each patch, so that they don't come off in the future.

• 3 months later...

Here is the finished block. I took your advice and did not do curved crosshatch. Instead, I followed the wiggly lines on the background fabric.

I did try the curved crosshatch with Deloa's boomerang. I found it very difficult to see under the machine to line up correctly. Why does the line on the ruler get thinner on each end? I have watched her utubes and I know it is me that is the problem, not the design of the ruler. But, don't you find it difficult to see as you quilt it? I am starting to think that curved crosshatch is not in my future.:(

post--13461906666369_thumb.jpg

You nailed that quilting! Beautiful choice! Crosshatching is indeed in your future. I felt the same way awhile back - I also have the boomerang - but if finally bit the bullet and just went for it. It came out great! I was really pleased. After you once do it, you will also love doing it! Good luck!!! Oh, I should have said that I am certainaly no expert!!!

I really like what you did and it compliments the block.

On the boomerang The line get narrower because if they didn't you wouldn't get a round shape and lining up the next row would not work. I find that I put mine a little over and then slide it back (hope that makes sense). If you are using white thread that is the hardest to line up because the marks are white on the ruler. I also find that I don't necessarily have to line up the line closest to the edge over the line just stitched. You could chose the 2nd line to line up with the next line on the ruler if that helps. Once you play with it and figure it out you will find it super simple.

Archived