Rattling Sound in Hook Assembly/Bobbin Casing

I just picked up my new Freedom SR on Thursday (traded in my 9 yr. old Millie). Got everything set up and did some testing on a practice sandwich. I noticed a rattling sound as I was stitching -- the kind I noticed on my Millie when either the hook assembly needed oiling or my bobbin was getting low. I tried putting a drop of oil in after every bobbin, but after a 2-3 minutes of stitching the rattling would be back.

I sent emails to Dawn and Bob K. but haven't heard anything back...I know they're down at MQS so I'm not sure how soon I'll hear back.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

BTW ... lovin' my new Freedom ....it's lighter than my old Millie and just seems to fly over the quilt.

Thanks.

Patti

www.quiltsfromthetrail.com

Oil is what came to mind for me as well. Give it a good up close & personal look with a flashlight & make sure nothing is in there like thread or something, blow it out & oil it again. Other than that, I dunno... Hope someone who knows something will chime in for you. Congrats on your new machine :)

It seems to be a common denominator on the Freedom as mine is doing the same thing. She is clean, oiled, and runs great, but the bobbin area seems to have a rattle/grown in it. It has been like that from the beginning, we just repacked the grease and there is no change, so it must be a normal thing. Some machines are noisier than others. if you get an answer from the experts, please post what they say. Thanks

If oiling doesn't stop the rattle, take a good look at your bobbin case. Has the springy thingy gone flat? You should have some "bounce" when you press against the bobbin in the case. Try a different bobbin case, or replace the springy thingy with another, or insert a Little Genie washer. (Ask me how I know this -- I frogged an entire bobbin because I didn't stop to investigate the rattle in my Freedom.)

Thank you, Lois. Just went downstairs and checked, adjusted the spring, and, hot dog it worked! Didn't even think about that! It's still a little louder than the Millie but it's just something I'll get used to...glad the rattling sound has gone away though!

Thanks again!

Patti

Sylvia, Monica and Lois -- Since you all own Freedoms....when I set my machine up on Thursday nite, I noticed the addition of a black knob on the front right of the carriage. If you turn it to tighten it, you see it get closer to the carriage, but it never quite touches. Any idea what this is? Is it the "Manual Channel Lock"? Exactly how does it work?

Thanks.

Patti

Got your U2U. Yes, as you turn the knob to the right the point is supposed to touch the carriage, locking it from moving back and front. Turning it to the left is supposed to raise it again.

Glad your rattle is gone. I use pre wound bobbins with cardboard sides, so there is no metal to metal to cause any rattle, so perhaps my growling/rattling is something different. But I have had it for 4 years, and I am well used to it by now.

You're welcome, Patti, glad I could help and it looks like you have your answer on your channel lock, too. I just have to say how great this forum is; I've learned so much from its wonderful members who so willingly share knowledge. I'm happy to have a chance to return just a small bit to it.

Hi Jess, glad to hear your machine is doing it too. I have looked at everything, keep it clean, oil all the time, I only use pre-wound bobbins with the cardboard sides, so there is no metal on metal ....but the machine works perfectly, perfect tension all the time...although sometimes I worry that something might fall out of it...lol

• 4 weeks later...

I am so glad I found this thread!! I just got my new Freedom SR in May, and I am experiencing the same problem!! I did read thru the manual did not find anything there, i did put a drop of oil in, and it was a little better, but still there. I will take a look at the case it self to check for the spring. My husband said I was nuts, (but I am not), it does sound a little strange. I quess my question is, did anyone hear back from Amy or Mark as to the reason? I am using prewound bobbins, and the stitching is great, perfect tension and is running fine!

I know this is an older thread but it seems to be an ongoing problem. I have noticed that my Freedon's wicks get dry (especially the one on the far right) much more quickly than my Lenni ever did. I have to oil. oil. oil to keep it from getting dry. I figure one day it will finally get enought and reach our and pat my face or something. ;) But it does take more oil for the Freedom than it did for my Lenni for whatever reason.

Hi everyone,

Having a "rattling hook" can be annoying. It is hard to tell when there is actually a problem vs. when the sound you hear is "normal".

Each machine has a different personality and sound. Since we hand-build each one, you'll find subtle differences between two machines even born right next to each other in the factory. Tight tolerances keep our quality standards hight, but each motor is different, each gear box and each head shell is different. Even each table is different.

When it comes to distinguishing sounds that aren't quite "right" as opposed to those that are simply unique to your machine, it helps to listen carefully and get to know your machine for its own personality (even if you've previously owned another APQS machine). Then you can learn over time whether a sound is not normal or is simply a characteristic of your dear machine.

When you sew, the bobbin basket (the spot which holds the bobbin) moves back and forth as thread pulls from the bobbin. It has a small opening at the top in which the hook retaining finger fits. Your top thread must sneak through that opening between the basket and the finger. If the opening is too small, you'll get loops on the back as the top thread gets pinched between the two pieces, or broken thread. The noise you hear can be that "rattle" as it bounces back and forth against the hook retaining finger.

If the hook gets dry, it will certainly rattle as well. If the hook gets dirty, it can rattle, too. So long as your stitches look the way they are supposed to, don't be overly concerned about a little rattle. The time to start paying attention is when your stitch quality suffers. After a while, the bobbin basket simply wears out and it's time for a new hook.

If you are concerned, don't be afraid to call us. That's what we are here for! But you can also find comfort in the fact that many of the noises you hear may be different from what you are used to, but are still normal. :)

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but when I had my Millie in for repairs the hook assembly was replaced with one that did not have teflon coating. I've noticed it is a bit noisier than the previous one. It works great, so I'm not worried. I put oil in it before each quilt, but find that the rattling sound starts up again shortly afterward. Maybe this is the situation with the Freedoms?

Hi Caroline~

I too have a Green Milli and recently replaced the Hook Assembly with one that was not Teflon Coated.

And yes, It has a louder Rattle sound. But like others have said, Tension is good.

I run my Milli as well as my Lenni. Both have there quirky sounds, but both Stitch like a dream.

Laura

Archived