Need your expert opinion, please.

A customer gave me two baby quilts to quilt for her today. The quilts are flannel front and back. She gave me flannel to layer in between as the quilts are going to California and she must have thought they would be too warm with batting. I feel that there will be no dimension to the quilts and she should just quilt them by tying them if she is going to use flannel instead of batting. I'm thinking she should use a 100 percent cotton batting instead. What do you guys think?

What does she want...a panto or custom? If all she wants is a simple E to E or panto, go for it. No, it won't have much dimension, but if all she wants is to hold the layers together attractively, and is willing to pay you for your work, I'd do what she wants. If she wants custom, I'd advise her that it will not show much, and an E to E or panto would suffice. Either way, the quilting will show up better after the quilt is washed and dried a few times. I personally would never advise somebody to tie a quilt.

I'm not saying that I will tie the quilts for her...I'm just saying that it is such an expense for her to have me quilt them when there is no dimension with the flannel layer in between. What do people in California put in their quilts for layers?

Robin,

We usually use batting in California. I have a flannel quilt with batting and wish that I had just put flannel in it as I find it too hot to use most of the time in SoCal. It depends on where in California the quilts are going as the climate varies a great deal in different areas of the state.

Sue

My daughter in CA really didn't use much in the way of quilts for my grandson just because of the climate and heat. They also are using fewer blankets in cribs now days, just have the baby in a warm enclosed sleeper. So this three layer flannel might be just the right weight for them to actually use it. The quilt I made for the grandson was going to be used more as a floor quilt than a covering.

Thanks so much gals. You told me what I needed to know. I won't question it any longer...I'll just go with the flannel and get on with life! I'll try to use a thread that will show more, great idea.

And Madelyn, that is true, some of the newer mamas won't even put a quilt on their baby in the crib, they dress them warm and don't cover them. Don't get that one, but to each his own.

Thanks, again.

Robin, the other thing I'd watch is because it will be so thin, I'd go ahead and use the same color in both the top and bottom bobbin as there won't be much room for tension issues if it isn't perfect...(I always like to have a little room for that)

I guess it depends on "where" in California! I'm in Southern CA and get snowed in in the winter! I always use batting in quilts and love flannel or fleece for backing. I guess I would just do what the customer wants. Most of the time I use batting even when I use fleece or minky on the back although they quilt fine without any batting at all.

Archived