Judi

O.k. let me explain, I need to purchase something that would

be used with pieceing or quilting, under $5.00, and NOT

found at a Quilt Shop. This is for a Christmas exchange with

my quilt guild. Yes, I thought of freezer paper, but so has

EVERYBODY! I am drawing a big blank page here, have mercy

any ideas?

:o

Maybe I could just buy some really yummy chocolates - as far as I am concerned, Chocolate goes with quilting!! I like to

chew on those Ressers (s/p?) - choc covered choc carmels

helps me relax and think - or so I say!!:D

When I paper piece I use the INDIAN Chief paper like children use when they start school. Its cheap and works like a charm when tearing away and in the printer.

The dollar store will have a cheap erasable board like 8x10 that comes with eraser and pen for practicing freehand also.

Also the pet lint brushes are great for getting threads out of the way and you can purchase refillables.

Not sure these are the most charming gifts but practicle

A friend of mine got me some really cool BAND-AIDS for finger pricks. They have all sorts of cool one's out. I know it sounds dumb but I loved them. She put them in a small stocking with a Gift Certificate last year.

Oh goody - some really great ideas all ready! I am going to have to get

some of these for me too! I play Santa for myself and fill my own stocking.

I have started looking for things for my girls - so why not me too!?!

Yes - the floss pic thingy!! I use them to clean under the

little spring in my bobbin - that would be a great one!!

I keep forgetting about the pet lint roller - I think I saw them at Sam's Club

too, at home here I just wrap a bunch of masking tape around my hand -

which gets a bit mess when I want to switch hands! LOL!!:P Oh but I'm

sure it would be fun to watch!:P

Speaking of Press & Seal, it comes in two weights. And, it is carried at Costco! I learned a neat trick at Innovations (Sally Terry taught us). If you are quilting on a fabric that you'd like to use as a stencil, example, a batik leaf, take your blue (wash away) marker and the requisite size of Press & Seal, trace the design, cut away the excess and presto --you have a neat custom stencil. Trick is to stitch around it carefully or you may just quilt your fingers.

Pam Nagle

Some quilters use Press-n-Seal by just laying it on the fabric and marking it then quilting right thru it as they claim it easily tears away....also pet stores carry a Pet Sponge and it does an amazing job of getting all thread off my carpet as I piece..for pet hair you just swipe it and all the hair is wiped away! Elaine

My favoeite place is the dollor store, ;) we have one here that's called "Dollor Giant" I've found all sorts of stuff there that works for my sewing room, infact every time I go in there I spend around $20.00. A small box of those little jewlers screw drivers that are great for iether your DSM or for the LA, baby sized clamps for holding up quilts to take pic's, little box cutters to cut paper, lint rollers, zip locks, the list goes on & on.

Just remember to think out side the box when, you walk in. :)

I haven't read all the replies here so these may have been mentioned:

A plastic tablecloth with the flannel backing - to be used for a portable design wall.

Painters Tape - almost unlimited use with the longarm but blocks can be taped to a wall if you don't have a design wall. Can also be used for marking the ruler when cutting a bunch of pieces the same size.

Dr. Scholl's moleskin strips - build a "wall" to help with getting a perfect 1/4" seam.

Bath scrubby - those net things are great for cleaning your cutting mat.

Ziplock bags - Put cut pieces in there or put partial blocks. Great when you have to pack a project away before you're finished.

Pizza Boxes - For storing partially finished pieces/tops.

Wow lots of neat ideas.

The painters tape is a really good one. I used to get pricked alot when loading my back and top. Now I run the wide painters tape over my pins and hardly ever get pricked. It was one of the best suggestions I've had passed on to me.

File folders or large cards with a piece of felt glued inside. These are great for transfering applique pieces off a design wall and into something that will be portable until the pieces can be stitched. On the front of the folder can be notes as to the location of the block in the quilt. Becky Goldsmith of www.pieceocake.com gave us that idea at a workshop last Sunday. I wondered how she designed and laid out the whole quilt in advance, then kept track of all those little pieces.

Vicki

Archived