Double sided t-shirt quilt??

I have never done one. I guess my only concern would be making sure that the one on the backing roller was close to being lined up with the one on the top. Oh, the other concern would be the thickness of the double t-shirts with the interfacing and stitching through words and designs on the shirts that I would normally go around. So I guess I have more than one concern...duh:o

If it were me...I wouldn't do it. I would make it 2 quilts.

I did a kingsize double sided, sashed front and back and tried (fairly successfully) to keep the sashings in the same places while quilting. I don't think that I will do another one.

Another thought here, the customer says the quilt is too heavy to use, so you might mention that as well. But that is what he requested, so that is what he got. I did allover meander, don't usually pay attention to stitching over printing, etc and it works fine.

AMY

I have quilted a double sided t shirt quilt before and it had a very light batting as well, all I can tell you is that when it came to crossing some of the seams I felt like I was plowing snow. I think I should have raised my hopping foot a little and this would have taken care of the problem, but I didnt and it still worked out okay. No disasters just a little bit of slowing down and forcing the machine over a few seams. I had to kind of run my hand ahead of the area and try to smooth it out as I went.

If you know how to raise the foot you might want to do that when you see how thick the quilt sandwich is. Hope this helps!!

I think i'd talk her out of it. T-shirt quilts tend to be a bit heavier than regular quilt of the same size. Having 2 quilted together would pretty much render it un-usable from the weight. There are several things I just don't do for people - not because I can't but because it is just not a good thing. I'd pass on this one.

I did one but requested the customer baste it all together as she wanted the backs to line up perfectly with the fronts! Truth be told I thought this would discourage her, but she did it and the quilt was over king sized! After that I felt like a heel and quilted it for her with an overall it was so heavy I was afraid it would bend the roller bars! She was thrilled but I'd rather not do another one, that size anyway. Customer was thrilled, so just goes to show you never can tell. Good luck with what ever you decide, as others have suggested, make sure to let her know how heavy it will be when finished.

Guest Linda S

Talk her out of it. In my opinion, Tshirt quilts are a little too heavy even when they are only one-sided with a very thin batting. If she insists, I'd ask her to find another quilter.

I just did a quilt for a customer with a pieced back. Althought neither was a tshirt quilt trying to keep the back square to the front was a

P I T A. I won't do that again. That was my first paying customer and probably my last!!!

I would suggest two separate quilts!

Enjoy your day - and I'm anxious to see how this works out for you!

KathyD;)

I hav done several like this..the back quilt needs a bigger border so you can line up the sashing between the quilts...of course a thin bat..I only meander these...the gal I do them for tries to make sure the t shirts with the really sticky type of motifs are on the front...what ever happens on the back if there is one there , will reamain as is..you cant take it out and redo because you will have holes in it.

I will join the chorus for a gentle consult with the customer about weight. When she is in your studio, have the two quilts and the batting flattened out and laying across the rollers. Lift it up as a unit and hand it to her. Ask her if she thinks the weight might be too much to actually use it as a cover. I had a single-sided T-shirt quilt 118" square and it weighed 18 pounds after quilting. It now lives folded over the end of a bed and is never used.

Archived