baltimore album

IF someone wants to have every quilt all cotton from fabric, thread, to batting, and feels that every stitch in both piecing and quilting should be done by hand, they are free to do it that way.

If I or someone else wants to do it differently that is OK too. That is why Baskin Robbins has more than just vanilla.

However, most who think they are "purists" want to restrict everyone to their method....be it quilting, politics, or expressions of faith.

I was at the Long Beach Quilt Festival this last weekend. There was a Baltimore Album exhibit. Some quilts were hand quilted and some were machine quilted. Several years ago a member of my guild won a cash award at Road To California with a Baltimore. She machine quilted it on her Millie. I have been making one for several years. It was my intention to hand quilt it. I now know that won't happen because of arthritis in my hands. I know that lots of quilters have the same issue too. It is rather like the art quilt/traditional issue. Things change and life still goes on!

Sue

I have quilted four Baltimores on the machine. Two were almost identical and from the same applique class.

All four customers knew it would never be finished if they hand quilted it. Issues with arthritis and carpal-tunnel surgery stopped two of them and the other two knew they would hire a quilter from the beginning.

Everybody has an opinion and you know what they say about opinions....:P:P:P

I love hand applique and have more than one quilt on the go.....;) Yes, really! I also know that I want them machine quilted (probably some heirloom quilted).....and I also know that I want to do it myself! I am a purist in that it will be 100% made by me. It's my quilt and I love to give them away to special people in my life. Honestly, I can't hand quilt them to be as beautiful as I want them to be. It is the quiltmaker's preference.

Donna

P.S. If something happened that I could not machine quilt it, I would not hesitate one bit to have it quilted for me by one of our fine professional people! The pictures speak for themselves!

Archived