Can anyone help me with templates??

Hey there, does anyone use templates to create designs in borders?? I have every template in the book and never use any of them. I have a huge irish chain on the frame now that just needs o ne more border done. Outer border is beadboard, inner is a little feather so it is the second one I'd like to try something like those half circle things that create a diamond in between. I sound like a total newbie don't I? LOL Anyway, any help would be so appreciated.

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

I think you are talking about the "egg and dart" design--a quilting design taken from the hand quilters. If you want to use the template to mark only, measure the length of the space you want to fill. Decide how many "hoops" you want along this space and mark a line across the border where each space is. To decide on which size circle template to use for marking, audition the ones you have until you find one where the top of the circle touches the top of the border seam and points on the sides of the template touch the opposite seam where the marked spacing is. The hoop must fit all within the space you have marked. Mark all the hoops across the border and then flip the template and mark all the the way back. There is "egg and dart"!

If you are a confident freehander and if the spaces aren't huge, stitch along--it will have a nice rhythm of hoops. If you want to use the template to stitch, you will need a template a bit smaller than the one used to mark--to compensate for the width of the hopping foot.

Fewer spaces across to fill will mean a bigger circle template to use and also a shallower arc "hoop" which means a more flattened diamond shape. I think that would be easier to stitch.

I'll be back with a "visual".....

Here is a little help.

post--13461906713964_thumb.jpg

That is EXACTLY what I was talking about!! Thanks Linda.I had no idea what the design was called. I have so many acrylic templates and except for the actual shape (circle, square, oval etc.) I never ever use them. I need to start using them however as you all know they cost a fortune. I have one instructional tape--and it is a tape -vhs- by Donita Reeves-But it really didn't help much. Anyone who really experiments with these things chime in..please!! My creativity is shallow at best these days and I could really use some expert advice. Thanks again Linda. I will try and mark that out tomorrow.

Tracey:)

P.S. I also have a whole wall of stencils that I just HAD to have and I never use any of them either!!:o

Linda,

I just want to say thank you and tell you how much I appreciate your willingness to help and your remarkable teaching ability. I didn't ask the question but I certainly always learn from the answers you post..........just showing my gratitude;)

Donna

Originally posted by Wannabelongarm

Tracey:

Have you tried looking on U Tube? There are alot of demos there and that may help.

Maybe everyone can chime in on some of their favourites and post some pics to go with them?

Thanks,

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

www.artisticquiltdesign.wordpress.com

I spent a long time on you tube last night but couldn't find much. Anyone out there who knows any good videos...please share!!!

Guest Linda S

Great tips here ladies! I have used the adding machine tape for borders and also have one of those sewing gauges that stretch sort of like a baby-gate (clear as mud) so you can space things evenly. Lots of useful tools abound!

Archived