NQR-Irene

I'm OK; just some water seepage in my basement, but about a mile from me is a low area that is under about 5 feet of water.

My studio is in our basement, so I spent all day yesterday moving customer quilts, and everything portable to the upper floors. I covered my LA with numerous shower curtain liners (from the dollar store) and my cutting table, unplugged everything, bought more rubbermaid type of bins to put misc stuff in them, instead of the copy paper boxes this stuff had been in, did everything I could think of to protect my stuff. So, today, it seems like a good day to clean my studio before I put the stuff back. No quilting for me this weekend. (:

So, this week we had a 5.8 earthquake, a hurricane and a tornado! So, what's next? A plague of locusts? Yuck!

Originally posted by sandradarlington

So, this week we had a 5.8 earthquake, a hurricane and a tornado! So, what's next? A plague of locusts? Yuck!

LOL don't you know not to ask that question? We were saying how eventful Kailey's first week of life was. We had a water spout, hurricane and earthquake. Oh and the locusts are YUCK! We had them when we were at Quanitico. I forget which year but they freaked me out. I am so not a bug person.

Heidi & Charlotte

I just heard flash flood warnings for your area so take care. It's been raining here since last night but not exceptionally heavy yet. I think it will be early evening before it gets to us. I'm going to try and quilt all day in case we lose power tomorrow.

Just heard another warning and its moving into NH & ME - maybe it's moving further east ;)

Stay safe out there everyone.

Well, today is a beautiful day and we never lost power or even our satellite dish reception which we usually loose during any kind of rain storm...so I was able to finish the Earthquake/Hurricane Raffle quilt, we have lots of food, and bottled water and my house is clean and laundry done as I anticipated loosing power...so now I can start off tomarrow with a new quilt on my machine and no worries about housework!!! Life is good! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers - this is bound to be a better week!

Connie - have not heard from you.....maybe no power?

House and family ok. I've been at work in the Emergency Operation Center since Tuesday, still at work doing recovery stuff. Note-Great Dismal Swamp is still on fire - Dismal Swamp 1, Irene 0. Gotta get back to work, evacuees returning.

So glad the storm wasn't quite as bad as first predicted, although there were some lives lost. It could have been one HUGE disaster all along the coast.

It seems people and businesses didn't ignore the warnings and did as they were asked to do. Probably saved a lot of people.

Please keep upstate NY & VT in your prayers. The flooding along the creeks and rivers is pretty bad. There have been lots of bridges and roadways destroyed. The Mohawk River which is probably only 2 miles from my house is really flooded but we're good here. There are people along the river that aren't doing as well. So many pictures. I hav a friend at work who says he is within feet of losing his home and a family home! I just got a town update call and now Lock 7 on the Mohawk is at risk for failing. This could mean serious damage along the river. The Hudson River in Troy where I work is so swollen and it still hasn't crested. We're safe and will remain safe from the flooding but please keep all these people in the path of the water in your prayers. Here is a news feed showing some of the damage in our area. http://www.cbs6albany.com/video/c/1143371293/local-news/1134406553001/wrgb-localnews

Wow we just had a real scare. Got a news report that there was runaway barge on the Mohawk and they closed both the Twin Bridges & RT 9 bridge because the barge had a 40 Ft crane and they didn't think it would clear the bridges. These are the two main bridges that allow you to cross to Albany. There aren't many other routes available to get over the bridges. They have "temporarily coraled the barge" and hope to get it mor secure. They have re-opened the bridge. Hubby & daughter would have been stuck on the other side until it reopens. I pray the barge holds.

Things are alright here now. We had about an extra foot of water in the lake. The water is pretty muddy and there is a lot of debris pushed up next to the shore.

I did get a e-mail from Norton House in Wilmington, Vermont that said that they got water in their shop and were able to move all the fabric up before it came in, but they will be closed for a while

. I can't imagine what it is like to have water in your living area. I did get some water in my cellar by the furnace and the washing machine and dryer but other than that the lights blinked off and on once around 6:30 in the morning Sunday and then stayed on the rest of the day.

I haven't driven very far today but did hear that the road leading into my area was closed. I hope everyone who has been affected by Irene is safe.

Originally posted by Primitive1

Heidi aren't you glad you hurried home to this?

I'm just glad we got home before it hit. I can't imagine driving home now. Even HWY 90 is closed for 2 exits going into Amsterdam. That is like the majore road that goes East to West across the state. So far the barge is being held. I hope it stays that way because if it knocked out one of those bridges I don't want to even think about what our commutes would be like. I'm praying that the water has crested and soon starts to receed. There are so many cut off from the world. They are talking about having to make food drops to some.

my sister lives in southern vermont and she said it will never be the same ... they have lost covered bridges, parks are under water, roads closed & some have not even crested yet.

she is safe and has not had much damage, but all around her in the lower lying areas there is devastation. she and dh went out driving today and she was shocked.

funny, i have sisters all over the place - jersey shore, pennsylvania and vermont. she was the one i worried least about before the storm and her area was hit the hardest. you just never know....

my heart and prayers go out to all those who have been affected.

Archived