MAINTAINING A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE.........

Hi All..............we sort of got lost on this subject or have been "ignoring" it.........;)

Just back from my WW meeting and decided to start this post again. I keep playing around with the same 5# and need to get back with the program. I do Weight Watchers, but whatever plan works for you is good.

Heard this AM that WW and Dr. Oz are teaming up for a few weeks of shows. Sounds like we can weigh in at our local meeting at the beginning and then again at the end of the period. Not real sure how it's all going to work. Supposed to start around mid September I think. I'm sure there will be more info about it soon. Also heard Dr. Oz is moving to Oprah's old time slot.........4 PM Iowa time.

So, with the end of summer here and the holidays not far away, let's all re-commit to maintaining a healthy lifestyle - whether it be losing weight or just taking better care of ourselves. ;);););)

I have done well this year--no program, just a milestone birthday and a wake-up call to lose weight and control all the side-effects that the extra weight burdens you with. I finally decided that I am the one in control--I decide what goes in my mouth. And since the dreaded hormone beast went away, it seems easier to stay on a food plan--no mad cravings and all-day eating any more.

I have lost 25 pounds since January.

My one troublesome knee has stopped barking and thus I have been able to start some distance walking.

I feel so much better, my mind seems clearer and I am kinder to myself. No more berating myself and being sad when I look in the mirror.

I do not have a goal weight, but will continue on with my self-imposed restrictions.

By biggest monster is sugar. Talk about withdrawal! I have banned most sugars and chemical sweeteners. Cravings went away after two days, but I had a designer cupcake on Sunday--lemon curd-filled vanilla cake with coconut buttercream--yum! That was such a treat and also shows that the sugar beast will always lurk in my life.

After years of plans and diets and failure, I feel I am on the right track.

I attended a Tae Kwon Do Boot Camp about a year and a half ago and kept it up until July when, sadly, our instructor decided to go back to work. I started going so I could shape up before my son's wedding last August. I was really proud of myself for sticking with it. Now that I'm no longer doing that, I've already put back on 8 pounds - so I decided to try to motivate myself and keep doing SOMETHING. This forum never ceases to amaze me. We even support each other in efforts beyond quilting. Hopefully I can get myself motivated to post a picture so you can all see me and what I've been quilts I've been working on. It's also on my list of things to do (posting pictures, that is).

Linda thanks for bringing this back up. I just started back. After 2 weeks in NC I only gained 2 lbs so not horrible but that meant that I wasn't progressing either. I need to get back on track. I've had Maddie the last 2 days so no me time. It is worth it though! I have so missed her. Tomorrow I'll try to come home and get in a workout!

THis is a great idea and I need to get motivated, I've been walking about 3-4 miles 3x per week but my walking buddy has been out of town for the last 1 1/2 weeks so I've not walked... but back again next week...now I need to nip the sugar beast too! It would be great to feel better!

I've been doing WW since the first of the year and have lost about 30 pounds, but I seem to be stuck there. I lose and gain the same two pounds every week. It's very discouraging. I haven't tracked my food for the last couple of weeks, so I'm trying that again, yesterday and today. Exercise is by biggest problem. I just can't get motivated to do anything. My husband put a sign on treadmill that says USE ME!, but the treadmill sits next to my long-arm machine. So the question is walking or quilting? It's a dilemma everyday and quilting always wins. Linda, I really appreciate you talking about this topic. I've checked out the boards on the WW site, but I feel I know you guys and gals better. Thank you again.

I never cared for the forums on the WW site either. This group is much more helpful and we have that "Q" thing in common too !

I told our WW leader about the first posting we had a few weeks ago and she said she could tell a difference in me just being able to "talk" to all of you about things and share a common interest.

I'll try to keep the post up and going, but anyone can feel free to bring it up, too !

Linda - I was wondering about this topic, I'm glad you posted it again.

I was at this one spot for almost a month and really trying hard to "eat right ONLY" and not loosing a pound. I decided that I could have 3 hershey kisses a day. I have lost 1 or 2 pounds per week for the past three weeks since I started "allowing" myself my ONE little treat.

I do swim 4 or 5 days a week for an hour per day. If I don't swim, no chocolate. So far I am down 8 pounds this summer.

Hubby made the best Chicken quesidillas last night on the BBQ - he used chicken, cheese, and carmalized onions. They were yummy, hard to control portions when they were so good.

Got off track with this. Still eating healthy but have been going to PT for hip pain. Tore a lot of ligaments in my hip when I had my horse accident about a year ago. If I over do walking or standing I get muscle spasms in my hip and back and a lot of pain. Learning how to manage it. Think I will look at those saddle seats on wheels.

Doctor says that stationary bicycle will be better for me than walking so I will look on Craig's list.

I've lost 10 lbs but the last three keep bouncing up and down. Need exercise to lose more.

Thanks for keeping this going. I was planning to go back to WW yesterday but it was easier to quilt. I stopped going to WW about January with the excuse that I could not figure out how to use the new tracker gadget. So will try to get it out and see if I can figure it out. It has been too hot and no rain so haven't been gardening this summer. All the pounds lost last year have sneaked back onto my body.

Gosh, how I hate this aging thing, we are supposed to get exercise, eat right, get enough sleep etc.....

So every time I seem to go to a DR they tell me I have something else age related and to keep doing what I am doing< Dahh that doesnt seem to be helping me much, I have age related macular degeneration, take vitamins for that not much else you can do, osteopenia also age related, again exercise, eat right and calcium and vitamin D, all of which I already do!!

To top it all off, I have a bum knee and probably will need knee surgery so that keeps me from too much walking and exercising! Gee how are these the Golden Years???

I am also trying to diet following the ww curriculum, the old one as I am not into all these new pts system. been there done that before .. Here we go again!!

:P:P:P:P sure beats the alternatives though Huh???

Received this as part of an e-mail from a friend.............thought it was cute............I hate planned exercise!!!!! I know I should do it, have all the stuff, and then I don't. I did get some walking in the AM while quilting.......had to walk back and forth along my 14' table to roll up and roll down while quilting certain areas............does that count????:D

I feel like my body has gotten totally out of shape,

so I got my doctor's permission to

join a fitness club and start exercising.

I decided to take an aerobics class for seniors.

I bent, twisted, gyrated, jumped up and down, and perspired for an hour. But,

by the time I got my leotards on,

the class was over.

I did pretty good yesterday - until last night.............then the ice cream jumped out of the freezer and into my dish. I counted the points and was still OK. whew

I should get some activitiy points Friday and Saturday.........we are babysitting our 2 year old grandson and have his 2 brothers as well on Saturday ! I think I better go take a nap now. :P

I've been doing pretty good. Not going to WW or anything, but I figure as many times as I've tried, I know what to do, I just don't do it. SUGAR and CHOCOLATE are my huge weaknesses. I could go literally all week without overeating, but if I see chocolate, I eat chocolate. I know if I could make myself bypass it a few days, the urges would get less. Just gotta make myself. Wish they didn't keep a dish of it sitting on the counter in clinic. It's just there, staring at me, talking to me:D

As far as exerciese, I tried yoga twice. Only I didn't know there was such a thing as HOT YOGA. They keep the room 95 degrees! I The first time, I started feeling really weak, the second time I actually got violently sick. I can see how yoga could be a really good exercise, but I'll never do the HOT;) yoga class again.

Glad to see this thread back!! I've been pretty discouraged the last month or so; either maintaining or losing a lb or less a week, with a few weeks of finding part of it again. I've been very diligent in measuring my foods and tracking them on e-tools on my computer, but not so good with getting much activity/exercise in. However, next Tues will be the last week of my 1st 17 week session, and if I lose .4 lb, I will have lost 15 lbs!! That is a great incentive for me to stay on track this week, and especially during Labor Day weekend, which can be difficult. I have been disappointed at my minimal loss each week compared to so many others, but I can fit into a couple pair of pants that used to be too small, and I feel a lot better. So, on to the session and hopefully another 15 or more lb weight loss!! I really like my WW at Work meetings; the group is great and it helps me stay on track or at least encouraged and accountable!!

Good morning all..............getting my activity points in today - babysitting our 2 year old grandson. Wheeeee! He never stops...........thankfully, he will take a good nap right after lunch and Grandma will probably crash too.

Trying to hang in there and not go overboard on anything. Need to keep tracking what I eat...........amazing how one forgets what we ate last ???? Maybe that is called "selective memory"..........remember the fruit - forget the ice cream??? :P

Have a healty day!

Well, yesterday was a wash out as far as tracking and all...........having a 2 year old underfoot takes all the energy and time I have.........whew ! Today we have all 3 little boys, ages 2, 7, 9. It will all be over by 4 PM when they go HOME ! Love my Grandkids to come, but love it just as much when they go home. :)

I am missing out on my quilting time, but tomorrow and Monday are all mine. DH is gone and I will have the house to myself.

Have a good day.

Wo hoo! I found an almost new stationary bike on Craig's list for a really low price. It measures heart rate, miles, calories burned etc. I can't do walking because of permanently damaged ligaments but the PT said this would be great for burning calories. I have lost 10lbs on WW but have been stalled out due to no way to burn more calories with exercise. Now I have no excuse.

I think it is great that we continue to support each other here on the forum. I'm in my fourth week of maintenance and managing to stay within 2 pounds of my goal weight as required...two more weeks and I can call myself WW lifetime. Navigated emotional eating issues successfully during a short visit with family (Argh!) and an even shorter vacation. Hit the gym as soon as we got home plus got myself back into Step and Pilates classes right away. At this point, the eating is not a problem but keeping up with the exercise is time consuming. I resent the time required because I must complete 3 quilt show entries in the next two weeks and I need all the time I can get! Loved the leotard joke and for what it's worth, what cured me of my ice cream habit was the Weight Watchers frozen fudge bars. They're 3 points each and I save enough points to eat 1 or 2 at the end of each day. Gotta have a sweet treat, right? Continued success to all, Nancy in Tucson

Archived