Keep an eye on your tools...

See the little ring ruler? Well, I almost quilted it BETWEEN this quilt. I didn't noticed it had slipped between the quilt and I proceeded to quilt the blocks around the middle panel. Then as I rolled my quilt forward, I saw the ring bulging out on the take up bar. Luckily, I hadn't stitched the bottom of the panel, so I managed to slip the ring out that was sandwiched between the quilt. Have any of you quilted your tools between the quilts?

post--13461906833713_thumb.jpg

:D

I haven't "lost" anything since I started floating my tops. But I have advanced the quilt and have rolled a few things up--several small templates and once my scissors. You feel like a dolt as you start scouring the floor for that wayward item then either notice the funny bulge on the roller or have it drop out when you unload.

There was a recent post daring us to list the items we have stitched into a quilt. Seam ripper seemed to be the most common.

If you load your tops the classic way--onto the leaders-- that "shelf" in front of the top roller seems like a handy place to keep tools. You soon learn that it is not a good storage spot!

I haven't quilted anything into the quilt, but on the last one I had on the frame, I was advancing it and suddenly heard a loud "SNAP!" My heart just about stopped beating. I slowly unrolled the quilt to find my 6-1/2" ruler broken in two pieces. I had it laying on the quilt top and just forgot about it. I'm just thankful one of the sharp edges didn't cut the fabric!

Originally posted by Hitomi

......Have any of you quilted your tools between the quilts?

No. I have not. From the very beginning getting my longarm I started a habit never to leave anything lying on the quilt top. I have a table directly behind me that I turn and place any books, tools, wind bobbins, etc. My scissors snips live on top of my machine along with a pin cushion to hold my self threading needle. Everything else goes immediately back on that table when I'm done! :)

Originally posted by MarieBrewer

Oh Shana, what a perfect little quilt monkey you are. Yes, I have quilted my IQ stylus in a quilt, a bobbin, a pin, and a scissors. Oh to be as organized as others are!!!

Marie! :P I just know me too well=== I am Murphy's Law and I know that I WILL SCREW UP if I don't behave.

I was doing what Shana does only I found it too time consuming everytime I had to reach for my seam ripper (more times than I care to admit), also I recently found that my machine was starting to really groan when it was sewing and seemed to be trying too hard (you know how it should sound), and since I had been keeping a baggie taped to the front of the top of the machine for thread bits, I figured I had finally gotten a thread wrapped around the flywheel...sure enough I had so after I fixed that, I removed the thread bag too and decided that the little yellow table that comes with the up front CL stylus also makes a wonderful table to lay across the frame to hold those little things like rulers, thread bits, and of course my well used seam ripper....I just move it along with me and it keeps me out of trouble now.

Originally posted by Primitive1

. . . the little yellow table that comes with the up front CL stylus also makes a wonderful table to lay across the frame to hold those little things like rulers, thread bits, and of course my well used seam ripper....I just move it along with me and it keeps me out of trouble now.

Vicki, this is one of those "Now why didn't I think of that" moments. I have a little cart near my machine and I keep my sewing supplies on it, but I don't move it with me as I quilt. I think the little table is a great idea! Much more convenient for me.

I taped the bottom part of a toothbrush holder to the side of Milli and it holds 2 seam rippers, marking pencil. Needle stays put in a piece of moleskin on the top of the machine and scissors on a retractable cable attached to my shirt. At times I use the small table intended to hold patterns for front laser work to hold pattern books or various rulers. My rolling cart is right behind me for other items.

Hah!!!!!! I beat you all at this. I never keep anything on my quilting machine table anymore after this. It was a hot muggy day in Sacramento and the bugs were everywhere and just driving me crazy. As you guessed it, I had quilted the plastic flyswatter in to the quilt. Yikes, it took me over a hour to pick it out and then rechecked the timing to be sure. Nope, still in time and doing good. Them old Gammills (actually a Nolting) take a lickin and truely keep on tickin. Just imagine the sound that I heard while I was quilting. It's still kind of erie. zeke.............................

Archived