How picky are you?

When you take in customer quilts do you measure the quilts through the centre and along the edges? If so what difference do you accept? I've had a run of quilts with borders far longer than the quilts and I have had enough now. I feel I am wasting a lot of time fiddling with quilts with issues, but at the same time I don't want to be too harsh. I am guessing it is unrealistic to expect the borders to be exactly the same length as the middle, but how much is reasonable?

Ferret

I think if there is a difference that is larger than 1 inch I would call the customer and see if they want to fix it or if they want to PAY you to fix it. Charge an hourly rate and keep track of the time. Here in the states I would charge a minimum of $20 per hour to do any repair work. My time is money. Some LA'ers might go with 1/2 inch difference in length. I really think that anything over 1/2 inch is noticeable.

It will depend on your mood, how you feel about your customer, how much business you have, etc.

But 11" is out for sure!

I have taken all shapes and kinds--sometimes the full border gets a curvy overall to suck up some excess fabric. If there is too much excess, I do piano keys or beadboard. If it is horrible, I let them know some carefully placed tucks will happen and I hope to make the tuck look like a seam.

Charging extra is your option and with other quilts in line, most recommended.

I try not to scare my customers away so education is in order. But refusing a quilt means it may end up never quilted--or may be sent out to someone else.

But in the big picture, investigate on intake and go from there.

I usually just take the measurements from the middle (width and length). If the quilt borders/corners have dog ears, I just deal with them accordingly. For me, most of my customers just want their quilt quilted. I have a lot of newbie customers (and seasoned, too). I've only had a few that were so bad I had to take a tuck or pleat. But most were easily managable by manipulating the fabric a little bit, so there were no waves or puckers or pleats. You could call and ask the customer, but most times (unless it's really bad) I don't bother with it because it might embarrass them. I don't want to embarrass. I just quilt it and it looks beautiful and they are happy, even with the friendly borders. Most times these are bed quilts anyway... i don't sweat the small stuff.

If I could make them look beautiful it probably wouldn't bother me. In most cases I can't make it look good. At that point I don't want the quilt out there with my name on it, and I don't want to disappoint the customer either. Most are more than happy to fix it, but that does mean unloading and reloading the quilt which takes time. Hence thinking I really should take more measurements at check in to catch these quilts, it's just a matter of working out what size error I can quilt in nicely.

Ferret

Guest Linda S

To tell you the truth, the only reason I measure a customer's quilt is so I know how much to charge them. So, I measure the width and the height - once. I put their quilt on the frame and do my best to keep it square or urge it into being square, and then I quilt it and give it back to them. It is generally quite square when they get it back. I know I don't really like people to point out my mistakes, and I realize they probably don't either. If they have something they want to put in a show, I would probably be pickier. Otherwise, I don't stress about it.

I'm pretty sure if you're finding it a struggle, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of making it look good.

I had an awful quilt in the summer that had a DD in the middle, wavy borders, and lots of issues plus it was huge 100x123 and I called it "the quilt from hell" it was a relative beginners quilt, it had holes in the seams which needed fixing too, it was just terribly pieced, but I struggled through, and it turned out OK although it had tucks in the middle. The customer loved it though. I had to really really work it !!!!

I only measure along the edges on two sides, and lay it out on my large table, if it lays flat then I am happy !!! if it waves then I talk about the risks with my customer. I've only been working for customers for a year though so I probably haven't seen as many quilts as you which given the law of probablility means I haven't seen as many bad ones either !!!:D

Good luck with yours.

What is the saying "Just quilt it out?" I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, I get very few that don't have issues, as I'm new and most of my quilters are, we just do our best, but that much of a difference, I would call them and charge then a set up fee for reloading the quilt. I have one customer that on the top or bottom row always has a DD. On the last one I added extra batting, startched and steamed finished the panto and gee you couldn't even tell.

However the one I just loaded is starting out with a Oh Crap. The top edge is not even close to straight, she wants me to bind it also, so I just made the seam betweent he 1st and 2nd straight, pinned the top and ran a straight line acros the top. Places were on the line and places had 1-1/2" above the line. That was the only way I could come up with to deal with it. The bottom has a 2" difference, I noticed as I loaded it. She is new and wants it as a bedspread, so we will make it look as good as I can. And hope I make everyone happy. Needless to say after finally getting a straight line, I decided I was done for the night. I will look at it again in the morning with fresh eyes.

Shirley

If you measure the quilt when the customer is there, you can find out what they want to do. Do they want to fix it or do they want you to fix it? As Linda said...it is a perfect time to gently educate them on measuring twice and sewing the borders on once.

I usually lay out customer quilts when they are here and I can quickly see those friendly borders. I let the customer know where the problems will be and let them know their options. If they still want to go for the quilting even if it means tucks and pleats then I'll do that. I don't like it though! It kills me to not have a quilt square and flat and I'll guess that you are the same. Maybe that is a time we should put on blinders. LOL 11" is way too much play.

I don't usually measure the quilt top but as I'm rolling it on to the top leader I can tell right away if it is going to have issues or not by how it rolls on. If there is a problem I call the client and say I am sorry but I have encountered a problem with your quilt top and it needs a fix before I can quilt it. My clients have always appreciated the call and chance to fix the problem, which is usually too long of borders. I will show them what needs to be done and I always let them do the fix as that is how they will learn and do it right next time. I have never been asked to 'quilt it out" as I know all my clients so I have no problem talking to them about any issue I have with there quilts. I guess I am very picky but lucky that I can be :)

I am just finishing up 2 hand pieced quilts from the 1930's. The granddaughter found them tucked away in a box and they had been there for decades. The flower garden was pieced beautifully but she insisted she wanted a panto on it. The 2nd. one must have been done when her Grandmother couldn't see anymore and it was pieced horribly. The blocks were all different sizes and the sashings were 2-4" off from one end to the other. There were also D cups and it took awhile to get it square--thank goodness for channel locks. Again she just wanted panto--I ask advice from a few other LA's and then held my breath and did it. I was told to use a high loft poly batting and a loose panto design. I was amazed how well it layed out and looks great. There are a few tucks but none like I thought there would be. The customer is thrilled with both! However, she wanted me to put labels on them including my name. I did not want to do this as they are not quilted to the 30's style and I don't like having tucks and such. I would not want them in a show but the customer is thrilled because it was her Grandmother's work.

One other customer also had wonky quilt tops from her ailing mom and just wanted them quilted. The tops were wavy, full, tight places and the (flat) borders were full of ruffles. I did what she asked and again was amazed how well they turned out tucks and all. She was very pleased with them.

So Ferret, depending on the reason for the quilt, measuring and trying to re-fix just may not be worth it to the customer who just wants it done for the memories or just to lay on a bed. Other customers would be more willing to be educated and if any of those quilts had been mine, I would have fixed them accordingly.

I have to agree with Suzie. I just quilted one for my 92 year old mother-in-law. She just wants to give all her grandchildren a quilt. It was horrible. Blocks different sizes, no matching seams, and some seams that ripped open. I just quilted in a few tucks, and made sure I tacked down the bad seams, and gave it to her. Her comment was" Thank you so much. That's a lot of quilting isn't it?" I just smiled and agreed with her,but I know my kids will love it.

On the other hand, if I don't know the customer well enough to tell how they would react, I would make sure to discuss their expectations before quilting it. If their expectations were so great that I don't think I can meet them, I would probably explain my misgivings and see what they say.

Thanks guys. So far all the customers I've spoken to about borders have been pleased with being taught how to improve their quilts. They see it as getting a free patchwork lesson. I am not comfortable quilting in pleats. If that's what they want they need another quilter. Then again I am not afraid to turn away work if I think it will look bad and thus damage my reputation. I can find more customers if I do good work.

The latest has decided to fix her border, and actually I have huge respect for her. It's got a lot of applique all over the borders and she isn't that fond of the quilt. I'm not sure I would have had the energy to do that if I were in her shoes. Without the applique I could have made this one work but with it, the border is just too stiff to play ball.

I think in future I will take more measurements then I can pick up the problems earlier, though I'm still not sure what is the maximum I can ease in well.

I have quilted a few interesting quilts including one that sounds much like the one Leslie was talking about. The customer was lovely and it was her first quilt. We both learned a lot from it and actually it looked pretty good when it was done, and it was much loved by the recipient. I managed to avoid tucks by using a high loft wadding. Ideal when the quilt is going to someone who is unlikely to have ever seen a quilt only duvets :) I guess the trick wouldn't work so well in the US, given how popular quilts are.

Thanks for your input

Ferret

Hi Ferret,

Instead of your customer redoing that border with the applique, maybe you could suggest that she just remove it and add a "floater" border or 2 so the appliqued border would then fit the "enlarged" quilt. That would sure be a lot easier than redoing the whole border!

Originally posted by Darlene Epp

Hi Ferret,

Instead of your customer redoing that border with the applique, maybe you could suggest that she just remove it and add a "floater" border or 2 so the appliqued border would then fit the "enlarged" quilt. That would sure be a lot easier than redoing the whole border!

Duh obvious and brilliant. I will suggest it. Thank you. She was talking about adjusting it at the corners which I think would work but your way is easier.

Ferret

Ferret I just had one a few months ago that was out 8" and the bad part was it had a vertical line down the side. I explained at drop off that it would have pleats and I would not suggest quilting it. She said oh don't worry a few pleats are just fine. Well a few pleats heck no try 7. I frogged 6 rows of panto and called her she came and picked it up. Two weeks later the quilt arrived again still out 4" but much better and she thanked me several times for caring enough to have it done right. Well as right as it could be. I'm with you I really don't want my name on those quilts. Here's a good one today I got a quilt that's not finished I can't remember the name of the quilt made of octogons well she left the points all uneven and wants it quilted. I quilted it but that was a weird one. If they want to pay me to quilt something that's not finished ok with me. LOL

I started measuring my customer's tops at the top, the bottom and in the middle. Then I turn the quilt and take the 3 measurements from the other direction. I started having the customers help me hol the tape measure so they are involved in the measuring process. I really would be satisfied with one measurement from each side to get my approximate number of square inches so I can calculate my fee, but with a few "pips" I've had recently, I decided I would like them to know if their quilt top is "perfect," or not. So far, I haven't had a "perfectly square" quilt. One woman I was afraid would be a PITA, was so shocked that her top was a about 2 inches off. I assured her that most quilts I get are not perfect, but she was still so surprised. I am glad I measured it in front of her so she could see for herself. In fact, she had to re-measure it to be sure! LOL It won't be very noticable, plus it is for a young child, so will be "loved," regardless of how perfect or imperfect it is. But, this potentially PITA was "tamed."

Archived