Stopping a panto at the border set up...

Ok, I promised pictures on the set up Roger (DH) came up with when I was stressing about how to stop in the right spot when stitching a panto that my customer wanted to stop at the border.

1st, (my idea not DH) I taped a piece of paper over my panto and redrew the panto so that there was only one point that touched the border:

post--13461907105929_thumb.jpg

Next he had me put my needle down in the seam of the border right where I wanted to end. We do this every pass as the border may not be straight and could thus change from pass to pass.

I found this spot from the front by leaning over and looking at the panto, moving the laser to the spot I wanted to end.

Now he put a small ruler on the back rail right next to the wheel, using a binder clip to temporarily hold it in place.

post--1346190710623_thumb.jpg

I am just tall enough to be able to see from the back to place my start point in the border, if I stand on Tip toes!

So I usually advance the quilt, SID the borders, freehand stitch the border quilting design, set the needle in the border from the front while I am still at the front, walk around to back, set up the ruler/clamp system, move over to the other side, find my start, stitch the panto till I reach the stop point, tie off, remove ruler system so I can do the next border, advance....

I am going to get another clamp as it sometimes moves, I will still use the binder clip 1st though as it is so easy to put on.

I really like how this is working, hope I made it clear....

Originally posted by Busy Quilting

Ardelle why couldn't you just put a strong clamp at the stopping put instead of the ruler.

I usually cover my panto with a finishing paper like you but never thought to put a stop clamp on it too. That would also work on pattern boards!!!

Thanks for the idea.

Lyn

...because that would be too easy?...LOL, sometimes we do make things too complicated!!! And yes that would work on pattern boards too!

Great tips. I do the same paper trick but use a small piece of Mylar instead so i can redraw some of the design to fit the space and still see the original panto.

I'll have to try the ruler clamped to the table trick the next time I need to stop at a border. Thanks for sharing.

Archived