The Farmer's Wife Custom Quilting

A friend of my ex-sister in law called me for a quote on quilting her "Farmer's Wife" quilt. I would post a picture, but it turns out that she is not even finished making it yet. . .

Anyway in our short conversation about the quilt this morning I got out of her that she doesn't want a panto or edge to edge pattern quilted on the quilt. She wants "custom". BTW the finished quilt should be somewhere around 103 x 103 with setting triangles.

I told her just off the top of my head, without seeing the quilt, that it could be as high as $750 or as low as $350, depending on what she wants done . . . she said she is more than happy with the $350 but doesn't want to spend $750 . . .(needless to say there won't be any mctavishing or micro stippling for $350)

Ok, so you may see where this is going. . . she is coming tomorrow afternoon to "look" at some of my quilts and decide if she wants me to quilt her quilt. (and she is bringing my ex-sister in law with her)

How long should I let her "look" at my other quilts and pick my brain?

Maybe I won't even take this one on. . .

show examples of your work. don't state what you think you could do with her quilt. just keep it general ... range is $xxx - $xxx. For $350 I could do some yada yada, and maybe some yada yada ... but don't point out where on the quilt you would do yada yada. And if SHE offers suggestions such as "could you do xyz in this area?" ... just say "why yes I could do that if that's what you want." Tell her that once she decides she wants you to quilt her quilt, you'd be glad to sit down and discuss specifics ... after a $100.00 deposit (you do require a deposit for your custom work, right?). If you are feeling or seeing "red flags" (like I see/feel here), it is probably best that you just let it go somewhere else. Let her look at your quilts for however long you feel comfortable ... as for picking your brain ... lock it up, kiddo!

Great advice, newmillie. I love the "lock it up, kiddo!" remark!

I just finished talking to a new customer who wanted to come over and "watch me quilt" before she would decide to leave her top. I am booked through January so I told her since her top was yet to be finished I would send her some photos of similar quilts I have done. But like most "workers" I don't allow observation in the studio. I don't think she realized what she asked was inappropriate. I guess she thought it was a party and I would enjoy some company!

I also told her I don't audition. She got the recommendation to try me from quilters she trusts so I imagine all will be well. It's just unnerving sometimes when people want to share the joy of quilting and forget that we are workers first and new buddies second.

Oh sing it Linda . . you are sooooo right! I would never let someone watch me quilt. Things always go wrong when someone is watching!!!!!

Newmillie - love the "lock it up" and your suggestions for pricing. . . at this point I have no idea if the quilt will even lie flat or if it will be wavy. . . I hate working with the "ex" factor, but I guess since they are friends I'll have to put up with her. BTW the ex-SIL referred her to me, but has NEVER even had me quilt a quilt for her. . . go figure!!!

It might help to have an appointment you have to leave for after the amount of time you want to spend on this. Or you could schedule another appointment to arrive when you'd like to be done.

Example: Yes I can see you at 3pm Tues. I will have to leave at 3:30 or 4 or 5 your choice!! for another appointment. OR: I can meet with you Tues from 3 to 4. I have another appointment at 4.

Word of caution: ANYONE can bring up and read the posts on this forum!!!

Good luck!!!

I've seen 3 of these quilts so far this year, it's really sad because I don't think any of ladies even considered how much it was going to cost to have these beautiful quilts custom quilted before they started. They all seem to want a detailed custom job with SID and all. I know out on the blogs there are 100's being made. One of my ladies is going to quilt her own...someday, the other two are saving up the money. I couldn't begin to do what they invisioned for 3.5psi, they will be getting a bargain at 5.

So get ready...rehearse your speech cuz you don't want to loose your shorts...even a simple job on these will be timely. And there's 100's out there almost ready to be quilted.

Terry

I have also been "burned" by one of these appointments.

My thoughts on the potential customers who do all of the things that have been talked about here:

- They (LA's) don't have a real job, it is just a hobby in their home.

I have heard that comment way to many times. I like the idea of limiting their appointment time, 15 minutes should be plenty. If it goes over, let them know there will be a charge of $xx that is refunded should you quilt their quilt.

Why do some people think that it is okay to watch us, or show up late for appointments and not call? You can't do that with other professionals..........

Karie.

You are asking good questions BEFORE rather than later...here is a link to another thread similar to this but AFTER!

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=30144

When quilters go to the longarmer's home, it is fun for them. They may forget it is working time for us. You have the "ex" factor involved so they may think even more that it is play time for you all.

It is tough to balance being a working professional with a schedule to keep and being a fellow quilter. It is just not easy! If I spend too much time with a customer (which I often want to do because they are nice) I do not get the quilts for them and others done. It seems to be the toughest part of having an at-home business for me.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Met with customer . . . it actually worked out really well . . . only 35 minutes. Gave her some general ideas on quiling, nothing too specific, she loved my quilting, ex SIL was with and as it turns out she wants hers quilted too. I did tell them NOT to take my ideas to someone else to have them quilted. They both said they would bring them to me when they are finished . . . we'll have to see if that really happens!

Archived