Beware of marking on Batik!!!!

So I marked registration lines using Clover White marking tool on a dark border and the blue Wonder marker on the GINORMOUS background squares of the King Sized Radiant Star I just did this last 2 weeks.

Today I am finally done and spraying with water to remove markings and they keep COMING BACK! Not all of them, but enough to make me crazy. Every time i think i'm done I see more spots that have re-appeared.

My solution has been to saturate the fabric, not just be happy with it sitting on the surface. i've actually rubbed it together and it seems to be working.

This has now taken me all darn day and I thought I was done. :mad:

Ok, pics forthcoming. The blue did come out with targeted soaking. Unfortunately when I gave it back to her, some of the WHITE Clover (the kind that comes off with heat) had returned. I have never had that happen before.

How on earth am I supposed to be able to mark very necessary registration lines if I can't trust any of these markers? I knew about the soaking for blue but the white is a new problem.

Robin the white should wash out. It is still a chemical. Have her wash it and see if they don't all come out. Make sure she uses a good soak with no detergent, rinse then wash. I use white school chalk or Miracle Chalk as much as I can. Use a micro fiber cloth to wipe it off. I know there are other color backgrounds where you just can't use those and for those I use blue washout marker. If my customer is skittish about them then I tell them I can't do what they want.

I would be so afraid to use a little clorox....but I do use those purple marvey markers and have never had a problem with them as they disappear on their own in several hours to 2 days...just can't mark too far ahead of what I want to stitch or I am very disappointed when I roll the quilt forward and it is blank...:)

Zora, I used the Clover pens you are referring to on the dark border so I could do a rope pattern. Only marked the center line. This came out initially with heat and I discovered that it had partially returned only when I gave the quilt to the customer :mad:

Linda, I may have been heavy handed! The blue did eventually come out when I soaked it totally to the backing. Has not returned.

I try to avoid marking but I can't always.

Ferrett - masking tape & pins wouldn't work for a center line marking. Can't stitch over it.

Except for rare cases (like a wholecloth) I shy away from blue water-erase markers because of the removal process.

I think batiks are a so different from regular yardage, they warrant special treatment. They are high thread count, sometimes have a stiff feel because of the waxing treatment when processing and thus may still have some wax left in them, and may not have been washed before piecing which means sizing may also be present. Years ago I was warned that it is much more difficult to remove blue marks from any fabric that still has sizing or starch on the surface. I echo the use of a baking soda solution for easier removal. The soda neutralizes the acid in the pen. Only a bit is needed and it loses it's magic power after a half hour, so mix it up as you need it.

There is no way I would be able to do custom quilting without marking. I use purple pens, which in our climate will stay visible for 5 days. I remove with a water tool and then don't worry about it after it goes home.

Linda R,

What is the brand of the purple pens you use?

Thanks for the info about batiks. I will definitely take that into consideration the next time I'm faced with one.

I had not heard of the baking soda solution, I will remember that one, too.

This forum is so great. So many good tips and info. Thank you all!

Hi Robin--the Dritz and Collins purple air-erase pens are identical. I use whichever I can find on sale!

I remove marks as I go, either with the Aqua-doodle pen or a Q-tip.

Maybe next time to want to mark a batik, spritz it lightly with the baking soda solution first and let dry. I don't know if it would work, but re-wetting after marking should take out the marks more easily if there is already some soda on the surface of the fabric. Sounds logical....:o

Hi Robin,

I think the pen that Zora is referring to is the Clover pen that takes the marks out rather than putting them in. They look the same in the packaging so you would need to look carefully. If you have ever taken a Karen McTavish class you have probably seen her using them. She says that she uses them all the time to remove markings. I don't know if they would work as well on batik as I have never tried.

Sue

I just finished a batik quilt that I had to mark the heck out of. I used a fons and porter white chalk pencil for the dark colors and a clover blue water soluble pen for the lights. Both came out easily. But then I washed the fabric before I pieced it too, I don't like to work with the batik being stiff.

Archived