Weaving feathered cable in border?

I have been asked to do a feathered cable in a wide border that weaves back and forth over itself and I've never done one of these, not afraid to try it but was wondering if there is a method to this that anyone knows of... I am thinking that I start with the one weaving over and stop before it goes under the next one...or should I just do all of the halfs that are on top and then go back and do all of the ones that go underneath...see my confusion? Maybe I should just sit and try this on paper until I find a good method for the order of things...but if anyone can give some advice - I'd love it!

Vicki,

Renae Haddidin does this and that is the method I use. Her DVD is excellent and gives so many hints. I'm a visual person so it is hard for me to describe how I do it. I do the S shape doing feathers on both sides. Then I nestle in another S shape. One of Renae's hints is to use a sticky dot in the middle and you shape your feathers around that circle so that where the feathers come together you get a consistant shape. Let me see if a drawing will help.

post--1346190759056_thumb.png

Weird...I just was looking for border cables templates today and stumbled on this at the quilting university

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/Bookstore%20pages/triple_cable_tutorial.htm

4 instructional DVD's showing you how to make "regular" cables and NEW! Feather Cables

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/Bookstore%20pages/Border_Template_Gallery.htm#triple

I agree about marking the boundaries of the feathers. And if you are going to wing it without a stencil, I suggest you mark the spines carefully and then lightly mark the crucial area where the end of one swoop nests against the next one. Mark the end feathers of the first swoop carefully so you can stop, leaving room for the next swoop of feathers. Stitch that first one completely, then mark that area where the next swag touches the last one. Starting isn't a problem since you come out between convenient feathers, but leaving room for the third swoop is where I would mess up! Once you have done three, you will be an expert! (Great drawing, Heidi!)

Quilter's Rule (Hi Patty Jo!) has a marking tool for cables. It can be used just to mark the spines or can be stitched against. Pat demo-ed a design with cables alternating with feathers and it was beautiful. It's a very traditional cable treatment.

Originally posted by Bekah

I will try to post a picture of the Quilter's Rule template stitched out. I just finished a quilt using it. My only problem was getting the ruler to stay still. I tried everything but sandpaper and that is next.

did you try spraying the back of the ruler with spray baste?

Has anyone used the Feather Tool from Quilter's Rule? I was just online looking at the cable tool and saw the Feather Tool. It looks interesting, but not sure about the sizes. Small and Large, but just how small and how large? I e-mailed to them ask, but thought maybe someone on here knew the answer.

Vicki,

What I have done is marked the border with a cable stencil I have (photo attached) and used only 3 of the 4 lines in the cable. Of the 3 lines that I mark, the center line becomes the spine and the two adjacent lines on each side become my guideline for how far out to make each feather.

It is tricky when you get to a place where the feathers need to appear to go underneath, but if you pre-mark the feathers at the intersections, it should work out.

post--13461907591631_thumb.jpg

Archived