Have you ever overextended yourself?

Good morning everyone. I hope all of you are doing well this week. Just haven't had much time for visiting lately.

My question is how many of you have taken too many quilts to get completed for the Holidays? I do believe I will get them done but no time to shop or get my Tree up from what I can see.

Going to Houston set me back more than I expected it too and some customers have just gotten their quilts to me this week. Looks like I will be working right up till a few days before Christmas. Do you set a deadline for Christmas and if so How soon before Christmas do you set it?

It will be a few weeks before I quilt because I had the metal plate and screws taken out of my injured arm just yesterday. I thought this would be done after Christmas but it had to be done so I'm going to have to HUSSLE. lolol

Either way I will get them done even if I quilt on Christmas. My honey will be home next week and can help me with the ete which my Compuquilter will glagly take care of.

May your Turkey not be too dry this year.

To Answer you question.....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It 'Tis the Season for all piecers to think that us "QUILTERS" are God Sent and that we can do anything and everything and that they will have great and lavish gifts to give to their lovely families.......Not even giving a thought that they should have given us the quilts by July 4th.:)

Its what I use to call my "Don't Bother Me Season...I'll talk to you after Christmas" I would have a cut off date....any quilt in my studio by ___________ date (It usually was December 15th) would be guaranteed to be done by December 23rd.

I would quilt the ones that needed to be mailed first...then the ones that would be taken for travel by car, train, plane....and then the local ones that would be crossing the street for Christmas exchange would be done by 12/23 AND then I would sleep Christmas eve and hope to be enough company to enjoy someone elses cooking...I was to tired to even trim the tree so for 6 years we didn't have one.

Don't get me wrong ;)...I loved what I was doing at the time....now I don't have that many to do so I have enjoyed Christmas the last 2 years, but if and when I get going again....I will set the cut off date to about Thanksgiving...(with a little room for the special emergency quilt that just HAS to be finished) so that I too can have a tree and a nice dinner on Christmas Day and not fall asleep on the couch while everyone else is watching a movie....

Most definitely...YES...last holiday season I quilted 70 quilts starting on Nov 7th to Dec 15th. I said I would never do that again...lol...I have trouble saying "no". So far this year it isn't as busy...I think all my customers gave quilts last year and are taking this year off.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA:)

Guest Linda S

No - this is not fair to me OR my customers. No one needs the extra anxiety at the holiday time. If you have too many, you should inform your customers and see if they can find someone else to get them done in a timely manner.

Linda

I have been in business a little over a year now and I am happy to say that I have a three month waiting lists :cool:

But with this comes trade offs...such as the house not as clean as I would like (usually gets a good once over when clients are scheduled to come by to pick up or drop off quilts), little to no sleep, depending on my teenager to cook a few meals during the week so I can meet deadlines etc....

And wondering if I will be able to do my baking for my cookie

trays that I do each year.

I have told my customers to get me their quilts by the begining of Oct if they wanted them done in time for Christmas and they have with the exception of a snow bird or two that just got back into town and said they held onto it until they could have only me do it for them (so I will squeeze them in on my weekends or evenings as a favor to them) but I have turned away some and others have agreed to wait until January and even February for their quilts to be finished.

I have it scheduled so that I will have the week before and the week after Christmas off so I can wrap presents, clean and get things ready for Christmas Eve which is always at my house.

Be thankful for the business when it's there because you never know when it won't be.

I did however cut back on some of my advertising for 2007 and I also am planning on increasing some of my prices for the new year & streamlining my services as well. All in the hopes of staying ahead of the game while having my business continue to grow.

Hang in there the stress of the holidays will be over sooner then later ;)

Joann

I let all of my customers and members of the guild know that Oct 15 was my cut off and I was doing real well until I went to Houston.. Too much fun, I came home with a nasty cold that set me back and then had parts problems that continued for four days... So long story short I am now in the crunch mode I was trying to avoid. It worked real well last year :( Thank goodness for January I'll sleep then. Now if I could get my teen to clean the house ROFLOL! Too funny!

Teresa

I had to laugh at you Teresa.....way to funny....kids and cleaning just don't happen. BUT neither does husbands cleaning house...that's a major rarity they don't all come with that skill. However, I was lucky, my husband's mother wasn't around much when he was growing up so his can opening skills were already in motion before I picked him from the vine (been married 32 years)....I just handed him a new can opener about 7 years ago and told him his annual stock of canned corn beef hash was in the cupboard, and the diet Dr. Peppers in the frig.

Teresa, you will be fine....you have plenty time....just keep telling yourself that and remember that sleep is so over rated....:cool:

Guest Linda S

So what do you do if you have quilts that you haven't finished that you promised people for Christmas? Doesn't that affect your reputation as a quilter? Doesn't that cause a little heartbreak and distress for your customer just to feed a quilter's ego? I know how many quilts I can manage within a certain amount of time without causing myself or my clients undue stress. I think it unwise to overload, just because it's Christmas.

Linda

Linda,

During this time period September 1st thru December 15th, I only take Christmas quilts...that need to be done for Christmas presents, over seas shipping the cut off date is late August.

If they are just a quilt they do get pushed back until after the holidays, and its prearranged with the customer that they have the choice to either leave it with me knowing its not going to get looked at until then or they can take it to someone else. But honestly the quilts during this time is my heaviest season and average about 50 during for the period, I'm not going to loose the money that will be needed to carry me over through till say February.

With a cut off date in December, this leaves room for the emergency quilts that should have been done in October, but just weren't...yes, I've missed a few of my own Christmases, no tree, but no biggie either, I'm an empty nest or was until lately and I guess I did what I needed to so.

Stress on me only, the customer never saw how stressed I was or could get, they knew the quilt would get finished and they only saw the smile and the finished happy quilt.

Guest Linda S

Bonnie - If you've got it all planned out and you know you can finish them all, that's fantastic, but we were originally talking about OVERextending one's self. If you think that is stress on the quilter only, you obviously have never received those phone calls from some anal individual who has to know at every minute at what stage of progress their quilt is. My point is only: do not bite off more than you can chew. I think you have it planned so that you have not done so. Good for you! :)

Linda

Wow this post is very interesting. You know the wonderful thing about quilting for others and doing it for a LIVING is that I have a relationship with my customers and they have one with me. They would understand and wouldn't even consider another quilter anyway. I don't think I took too many quilts I just had some life events take place that I didn't see coming. With that said like any business you don't just give up and except defeat. You hussle, meet your dead lines and hope for a better season next year. No way would I want to send my customer to someone else unless I could not do the quilt at all. They are kind and compassionate people and wouldn't mind getting something at Bath and Body works or something until the quilt was complete. I am lucky to have wonderful customers to work with.

Guest Linda S

Oh for goodness sakes. Then you're not over extended are you? My customers don't like to go elsewhere either, but I don't tell people I can get them done when I can't and I don't complain that I'm overburdened when I'm not. I also work 40 hours a week at another job. All I'm saying is make sure you have time to do what you promised and don't leave someone hanging if you're not going to finish the quilt. In that instance, you should have the good grace to recommend someone else who can do it.

P.S. Pardon me if I sound a bit cross. I've been in a great deal of pain with an ankle problem and I'm still on schedule to do everything I've promised. I'm not overextended.

Linda S - Hope the ankle gets better soon! Know what that like, hard to

quilt your best when in pain or with a migrane!

I can relate to these posts. Last year I was quilting for a snowbird that

came home for Christmas from Meza, AZ ( I think I will give her your name

Joann if she calls this year!) anyhow---- I quilted on Christmas Eve and all

Day and the next to finish this for her. It cost her more than normal too!

My family sat on the couch (my machine is in the living room) and we did

watch a few movies together...... that was last year... NOT this year!

I do have a few hanging that know they will not be worked on until next

year. I am sneaking in little quick overalls inbetween some of the big

projects I have. Hope to have everything done in time. I know I should

keep a better log of time spent on each quilt, but I am having too much fun!

Still Love what I am doing! :D

Right now I have my friend's quilt on. She said to "just overall it" if I don't

have the time...... heah - right! It took a bunch of work and time to piece

this baby - no way would I treat it so casually - overall - poo-poo! I am

almost 1/2 done now! 104" by 104"

It is hard to say no, I hope I will make it with all of my deadlines. The quilts

are still coming in though! Which is a good thing!!

The holidays are a very important time for us and I am not going to short myself or my family by quilting til the last possible minute.

The quilting is out of here before Thanksgiving and I don't start up again til February 1. January is when I put the holiday stuff away, rest, work on big projects for myself and then am anxious to get started with customer quilting again on February 1.

There are NO emergencies big enough for me to quilt for a customer or even my best friends between Thanksgiving and February 1.

As you can probably figure, the last of the quilts will be out of here next week and it is such a good feeling to close the door to the quilting room and know that the holidays are mine to enjoy any way we see fit.

I am having shoulder surgery Dec. 13th, so I pushed for a cutoff of Nov. 15th, based on how many I had "in house" I have been quilting about 6 per week, which is close to double what I normally do (3-4), and boy are my arms tired! :D Days like these I wish Santa would get me a CQ! Or at least a motorized feed............

The tree goes up Thursday...

I love Linda's response. Christmas is my favorite time of the year with family and friends. Since this new venture is not my main source of income, I'm not going to stress out either. Being a newbie, I'm at my limit now with quilts to do before Christmas without stress. I'm not taking any more until after the holidays and my customers are aware of this. Next year I am putting a deadline on accepting Christmas quilts in October sometime. I have two of my own to do which will be the last ones done of course! Overall gals, didn't we get into this to "have fun" - I have stress at my 8-5 job, I don't need it quilting too!!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

What a great weekend, I was fearful I had fallen way behind and whoooowhooo I am now five days ahead of schedule. This weekend I finished 10 quilts (some had to have binding and others just needed to be packed out for shipment). Today I will actually finish the quilts due out on the 28th whew!

Only 3 more T-shirt quilts (start to finish) and 8 longarm quilts.

I probably am overally cautious when making commitments, but I have to allow for stuff to happen, for example, I had a fuse go out and since I am in the country I spent four days chasing a 50cent fuse. I try to be realistic and during the holidays everyone has enough stress, I don't need anymore and I certainly don't want to create any. I always remember the bottom line - "Am I having fun?"

Oh and the teen still won't clean :P, on the upside my hubby is out of town until Wed. night and I can get a lot done before then...

Enjoy your holidays!

Guest Linda S

Oh Caron! Sorry to hear you have to have surgery. I had a torn rotator cuff repaired several years ago and that was not fun at all. Well, it did feel a whole lot better after the surgery than it did before.

I have started a small longarm association in my area. Instead of viewing other longarmers as "competition" we get together and discuss ideas, techniques, cool tools, etc. We let each other know how our schedules are going. If someone isn't very booked and I get someone calling for a rush job, I'll refer them to the other quilter. It makes everyone happy. I've never lost a customer this way. Indeed they appreciate that I've been able to find them someone to help them out in a pinch. I also get a closer bond with another quilter, who is happy to have the work. My customer may also tell a friend that this quilter helped her out and did a nice job, so the other quilter may pick up some new clients. I see it as a win-win situation. I don't like having so much stress. Especially during the "silly season."

Linda

Over-extended? That should be my middle name. I always get lots of quilts before Christmas along with all the last minute requests. This year an unexpected bout with pnuemonia set me back a bit. Now, I'm really pushing to get everything finished.

It does seem like there is always another deadline looming. We have a local show here in March and so after the Christmas quilts are finished, I have all the show quilts to do. I do refer out when I know I can't finish something. I agree that if you promise to deliver, you need to deliver. Most of my quilters have been patient with me this fall due to illness. I'll get it all done, but not with as much leeway as I would like.

Kay

Oh, my seems us quilters are just falling apart at the seams...pun not intended. But I have been having intense back pain and now have a brace on my ankle due to a chipped bone.

Now as for due dates, I have been quilting over 16 years and have over 100 customers as of this year. I had set a due date last year(before the custumer list got so long) was end of Oct. But now with so many after me have set my due date for end of Aug. This was to gaurentee to be back in time for Xmas. Thanks to all my customers will now be getting some much needed help with the new Robo Quilter. Hoping to get it before Xmas...What a joy to have some help now. Still awaiting to hear from Itellistitch when they can come to install it. Me too, most customers would just as soon have theirs late as to send them to someone else do them. ;) Is nice to be so loved by people I have never meet or seen.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and happy quilting ...don't you just feel like Ms. Clause this time of year?? I know I do. Love to make so many people happy.

Archived