I gotta start charging more for binding!

I really thought I was charging a fairly hefty price for binding. I don't mind doing it for myself......but not so much for others.

I charge 18 cents and inch.... thought that would keep people from asking me to do it.

I just finished the binding on the second one this month.

A customer (that needs a queen done by Dec. 31 for a wedding gift) called yesterday and asked if I could do the binding also. She didn't even hestitate..... she did tell me that she needed to get herself in gear and get the quilt finished. LOL.

I told her I had to have it by the 18th. ;)

It sounds like you need to raise your prices. :)

I charge $25 to make the binding. Ten cents a linear inch to apply it by machine to the front only and twenty cents a linear inch to apply it by machine front and back. I don't do anything by hand. They couldn't pay me enough.

If they want the quilt trimmed, it is extra

Guest Linda S

I have my price set at .35 cents a linear inch to do the whole shebang. I think it's outrageous to charge $130 - 150 to attach a binding to a queen sized quilt, but I still have people ask me to do it. Most of the time, I can convince them to just let me sew it on and then they can finish it on the back. Some just couldn't be bothered!

Well I can see at the first of the year my price is going to be adjusted.....along with all of my other charges. Hubby kept a stop watch on me last night while I was stitching away.... he figured I made $6.00 an hour. I told him that it was more than just sitting there watching TV, he gave me one of those "I'm going to get in your business looks" I promptly told him that I was going to adjust my prices on January first.

He told me that if I quit taking customer quilts, and only worked on my charity quilts.....he would buy me that IQ I wanted. He knew he was safe..... I buy fabric for my charity quilts with the money I make from my customers. Such a sly man.....

Angela, I am going to show my ignorance with this question so here goes: I know how to apply the binding to the top while on the longarm but is there also a way to sew it to the back while on the longarm also, or are you talking about doing this with your domestic sewing machine? If there is a way to do both on the longarm I would be grateful if you would share that! THanks Becky

Originally posted by AHuffman

It sounds like you need to raise your prices. :)

I charge $25 to make the binding. Ten cents a linear inch to apply it by machine to the front only and twenty cents a linear inch to apply it by machine front and back. I don't do anything by hand. They couldn't pay me enough.

If they want the quilt trimmed, it is extra

Interesting that you separate out making the binding for $25, Angela. I'll have to think about doing that myself, although it seems like it should be pro-rated for the amount of binding. Binding is a tricky one to price. I recently learned how to apply the binding by machine, and also had a customer give me a quilt with the binding already attached to the back and I machine attached it to the front. So many choices...My current binding prices are:

Binding that is machine attached to the front of the quilt and hand stitched to back is $0.35 per linear inch; machine attached to front only is $0.15 per linear inch. Do not pre-cut fabric.

I think there is a big difference in the appropriate binding technique for each quilt. I'm frankly growing very tired of the hand-applied method. Facing is a good option, if you want the quilt to look 'nice.' For functional quilts that are going to be used, I think machine attached front and back is a good option -- hey, it takes skill to do it right, but isn't that what we are paid for -- skill? At this point, I think the only quilts that deserve a hand-stitched back are the heirloom quilts.

I priced binding really high too because I hate doing other peoples bindings. $15 to make the binding, 12 cents a linear inch to machine to the front and 20 cents to hand stitch the back. I priced it high to discourage people asking me to do it but that still doesn't put some people off. I always feel guilty when I tell people how much I charge so I'm glad to hear that others of you charge at a similar level And, at least this way it's worth my while!

Originally posted by Boni

So, when you apply to the quilt to finish by machine, do you apply to the back and turn to the front/topstitch, or apply to the front turn to the back and SID? I want to glue it in position and SID to make sure I catch the back...is that Kosher?:o

I sew mine on the front first then I fold it to the back

just like I was doing it by hand. I use my SID foot to sew it. I use top thread that matches the quilt and a bobbin that matches the binding. I won't do it by hand anymore for customers.

I charge 35 cents an inch to make and apply binding on both sides. I had hoped that would keep me from having to do it but most everyone wants it.

Originally posted by mcmullen

Angela, I am going to show my ignorance with this question so here goes: I know how to apply the binding to the top while on the longarm but is there also a way to sew it to the back while on the longarm also, or are you talking about doing this with your domestic sewing machine? If there is a way to do both on the longarm I would be grateful if you would share that! THanks Becky

I'm not aware of a method to apply the binding front and back at the same time on the longarm.

When I apply binding front and back by machine I do it in 2 passes. First I apply it to the backside and then I wrap it to the front and top stitch it.

I can do I pretty quick and I made a decent $$/hour so it is worth my time. I don't really like doing it but overall I don't mind it too much.

Archived