bobbin issues (update)

Hey guys:

2495442940107119966S425x425Q85.jpg

I've been trying to finish a quilt for several days, but I keep having a problem with the bobbin. It's starting to happen more and more frequently. I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but the thread keeps coming unlooped from around the the post and then getting hung up, so it breaks, and then the top thread gets hung on the hook system so that I have to break the thread to get the machine where I can back off from the quilt. I use the magna glide bobbins, and I've nevver had this problem before. I thought maybe I just had a bad one, but I've tried three bobbins, and it's happened with all of them.

I cleaned and oiled the bobbin case, and hook system. Any ideas? Anyone ever had this before?

Well, I guess I will call fil-tec in the morning. I tried the cleaning under the tensioner, and no luck. I reajusted the tension a few times and no luck. I've been using magna-glide bobbins the whole time I've had the machine, so no I don't still have the backlash spring in.

I was using the cream bobbins, so just as a last resort, I switched to the basic whites, and wallah, no problem. Just finished the quilt. At least it's done. I was about to pull my hair out:P:P Now on to the next. I have 3 more to do before I can do my own. :(

I have a dumb question. Had terrible tension issues for the last week. The backlash spring finally fell out of the bobbin case. I have a spare bobbin case, but it fell out also. How does this little thingy go back in and I'm hopping it will eliminate my problems. My spare bobbin case was still in the new package, so I'm not sure I got it back in right.

Thanks

Shirley

Originally posted by shirleyl

I have a dumb question. Had terrible tension issues for the last week. The backlash spring finally fell out of the bobbin case. I have a spare bobbin case, but it fell out also. How does this little thingy go back in and I'm hopping it will eliminate my problems. My spare bobbin case was still in the new package, so I'm not sure I got it back in right.

Thanks

Shirley

As long as the raised fingers of metal in the backlash spring are facing out, and as long as the spring snapped into the case where the two flanges fit into the two slots in the case, you have it in correctly. You can fine-tune it a bit by carefully bending the fingers so they are raised more and thus apply more pressure against the bobbin. With the bobbin resting in the case and facing up, the bobbin should sit up above the edge of the bobbin case a bit.

Thanks guys, I'm going to clean my sewing room up as I can't even find a pair of scissors, give Milli a beauty treatment and try to get a little organized so I can get X-mas gifts made. Gee and I just got a call from one of my customers, she is trying to finish 2 quilts and do I think I could possibly get them done by Christmas. Can you say I don't even have my tree up yet, shopping mostly done, nothing wrapped and gifts not made. AGGGG!!

And my stupid bobbin cases are being a pain and Milli wants a break. Grandkids need watched as mommy got a new job, oh and the hubby said he is taking the last two week of the year off. I have to drive to Nevada on the 19th and pick up my mother and be back by the 21st then take her home so she can play bingo on New Years Eve.

Sure just drop it by and the little elfs will take care of it.

Anybody else want to scream!!!!

Shirley JUST SAY I'M SORRY BUT I CAN'T........ The things we do to ourselves.

I have three left to do before the end of the year.... I told the last client that I needed it by 18th for a New Years Eve wedding present. Thus leaving her time to bind the quilt....she called this last week and told me that she had just figured out that when she got it back it would not be bound. Then asked if I do binding......I should have just said no.....I shot her a price that I thought would take care of that for me......she said she was to busy to do it so she would pay me to do it.

If I don't have that quilt by the 18th it is going to get a hefty rush charge also!

Hi Shirley,

I really had to chuckle when I read your post. My days are going along pretty similar to yours , we have to look after ourselves, take deep breath and know when to say NO. My family and I live on a farm and have animals to look after as well as the neighbours horses and ponies which she feeds three times a day ( fed 2X daily by me). I have three more quilts to do for Monday ( panto"s) and one custom to quilt and bind which will be finished for the 23rd then Christmas. I have my four grown sons and families all coming home on the 24th . Looking forward to seeing my grand kids and I know it will be pure bedlam but we'll have a great time. My husband has been away this past week but returns tonight and promises to help me get the tree up , lights on the house etc done and I will bake in the evenings as well as visit the town bakery for "goodies". Enjoy the Season and go with the flow, life is too short to "sweat the small things". Have fun and keep your sense of humour; things usually come together in the end. I hope you can relax and have a rest yourself or at least not feel overwhelmed. ( I just had my opwn scream! but I am smiling now) Have a good holiday,:P

Oh Shirley,

Just turn down those last minute quilts...I did that this week. Still feel overwhelmed but at least that is one less thing to have to worry about....I still have a customer custom quilt on the frame, a panto to do for my granddaughter and then I am supposed to be working on my own quilt during this month and next to get finished for Hampton Roads, hoping to get it finished in time....

I have to tell you that I had this happen to me too...with the white thread magna bobbins. It was only one bobbin but drove me nuts while I tried lots of things to get it to behave. When I changed out the bobbin thread for a different one, it was just fine. So, they do get bad lots for some reason...so I would tell them about the problem

Archived