Flange in border - panto

I baste them down as close to the edge as possible, then panto over it all and remove the basting stitches. I baste down while it is on the frame, therefore all through all layers, you have to be careful though not to form tucks in the backing.

So far I have had good success with this way of doing it this way.

Such a waste to take the time to piece in a flange and then ask for overall quilting. *sigh* It defeats the purpose of having a 3-D effect if it's stitched over.

Basting sounds good but adds a step and extra care that should be reflected in the quilting charges.

If there is a flange, the fee should bump a half a cent just for a PITA fee...;)

I so love you guys! (gals)

The quilt is a drunkard's path I did about 8 years ago for my mom. I am practicing a panto on it that I just love. I am no where near ready to do a custom job, even for myself. I would have no idea of where to start.

That to shall come!

Will post pic when done.

PS - basting realy close to the edge is working! :D:D

No Marsha, a flange is a piece of fabric folded wrong sides together and then attached in the seam between quilt top and border. The folded edge of the flange stays loose, giving it a 3-D effect. Kind of like a mat on a picture.

Now I've got a second one with a flange in the border. On the first quilt, she seemed to try to put the flange on like a binding. At one seam the flange was folded to the front, and at the opposite seam, folded to the rear. I had many, many bad words to say to her while quilting that one. Then she brought 2 more quilts, and at least one of them has a flange!

If there is a flange, the fee should bump a half a cent just for a PITA fee...;)

If only I had read this earlier! I'll try to keep the bad words to a minimum as I'm quilting the next two horrors. Pretty sad when you "How to Make Your Longarmer Happy paper goes from one page to three with one customer. Sigh, and sigh again.

Archived