Help please, thread breaking...

Everything was humming along and all of the sudden I am breaking thread every few inches, always when traveling away from my body (working from the front). I have tryed everything I can think of:

-blew out with air compresser

-cleaned and oiled

-changed needle

-changed needle again

-changed needle size

-checked thread path

-re-threaded

-altered thread path at tensioner

-checked for burs, on take up leaver, pig tales and hook area

-traveled very slowly

so any other Ideas??????? :(

Have you tried loosening your top thread tension, Ardelle? Or loosening the quilt sandwich. Going slower and steadier when you move that direction? Have you hit anything so that the machine is out of time? I recently moved the rotary hook so it made more contact with the needle and now my stitches are great -- I was having the same problem as you before.

Hi Ardelle,

First figure out where the thread is breaking--whether above or below the needle plate. Without pulling on the broken thread, raise the take up lever manually to its highest point and bring the thread back down the path towards the needle. If the break is at the needle, something is happening above the needle plate. It's catching on something or shredding along the path. I assume you did a firm tug-test on the thread to see if it's a bad cone? It looks like you have checked the usual suspects, but try more control of the thread. Use a thread sock, thread all holes in the three-hole above the tensioner, and loosen the tension to compensate for the added tension-points. This will keep the thread from flinging about and maybe catching on something. (My thread was frisky last night and kept catching on my light knob. I didn't notice and adjusted my upper tension to compensate and stitched for a long time with this extra tension-point working very well! I think I was lucky!)

If the thread is breaking under the plate, then there is a catch under there. Check the needleplate hole for dings and then check the finger that keeps the bobbin assembly from rotating. If it is in too far it will catch and snap the thread.

Good luck and I hope by the time you read this you have already found the problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I have a thread breaking problem too. I can stitch with Superior's King Tut or Lava without a problem. But when I try to use a different thread I get breakage every few inches. What am I doing wrong. I am guessing it is an adjustment, but I am pretty new at this and don't know where to start. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Dustee

Hi Dustee! Sewers aid is a thread lubricant. You can get it under other names too. I order it by the quart and then put it in a small squeeze bottle. It goes a long way. We saturate a small bit of batting and put it in the first thingy the thread goes through....lay it in so the thread pulls through it. We use it with every single quilt and knock on wood have never had thread problems.

I was also scared to touch the tension. Just go for it!!!! After the first time it isn't scary anymore.

Originally posted by Dustee

Thanks for all the input. I will give the tension a try. I have to be honest, the tension scares me to death. I am afraid to mess with it much. I guess I will have to mucsle up and take the leap.

Shana, what is Sewer's aid and where do I get it?

Dustee

Not Shana here, but you can find Sewers Aid at most sewing places that have sewing notions. Usually hangs next to Fray Chec. Your high end sewing machine dealers may also have it.

Dustee:

I have found that regular mineral oil (available inexpensively at the drug store) works just as well as Sewer's Aide. This comes from machine quilting guru Sharon Schamber. She soaks her threads in a jar of the oil but, if you're reluctant to go that far, you can paint some on your thread spool or thread cone with a small paintbrush and get a similar result. Nancy in Tucson

Archived