Help! C-cup blocks

I got this quilt from a customer. She dropped it off when I was at MQX West. She wanted me to finish it, pick out a backing, quilt it and bind it. It is all hand pieced (I guess her grandmother did it). It was shoved in a small bag so I had to iron it and fix some of the blocks where the seams were falling apart (why they sew such a small 1/16 " seam is beyond me) Anyway, while I was ironing it, I noticed large C cups throughout the quilt. Almost every block was a C or DD cup. What should I do? What kind of quilting should I do on it? How will those c-cups lay down flat? Help! Anyone ever had to tackle a quilt like this?

post--13461907813064_thumb.jpg

Hitomi,

I guess it all depends on what she wants to pay for quilting...I'd try to starch and steam those c cups first and then you could try rather than sid as I am sure her seams will not be straight, just stitching 1/4 inch inside those sashing seams to get it to keep it's shape and then stipple in the larger areas as you will be able to push fabric around as you are stippling to get it to lay flat. Another trick is to use spray basting and pat down those areas before you quilt them...I've had several like this....just watch your ruler as it is easy to chip one on working on a quilt like this...

If she just wants an all over, I'd find something large and loose, but you will have to watch that you don't get tucks in those seams and puckery areas....

Guest Linda S

I'd go with a combo of the above suggestions. Steam the livin' bejeezus out of it, and baptist fan it. If you don't want to do baptist fan, you should go with the fluffy batting, perhaps even adding extra under the 'cups'. I did a dresden a few years ago where I had to add extra under each plate because there was just too much fullness.

I would SID all of the sashing straight first to stabilize using channel locks as much as possible.

Then I would pin and straighten the white block outer edges and SID.

Then I would do whatever quilting you choose on the decorative patches within the white block.

Last, I would do a medium density meander on the green triangles -- enough to take up any slack.

We missed you, Hitomi. Welcome back!

I am working on a very geometric lap quilt right now that works out to have a DD cup right in the middle (middle section of the quilt was almost 2" wider than top and bottom, with wavy borders and silly me thought I should try to square it up, which worked...but then reveal the mess of DD in the middle)!

I have fought with this lap quilt for over 8 hours.

What I have done looks fine, but the middle is a mess.

I just pulled it off the frame spent 2 hours ripping out continuous curve to open a path to shove in a second layer of batting (I put two but it was just too much.)

Now it is back on the frame.

Going to SID the sashing that is the primary culprit...cc the 1/2 square triangles in the center, pushing the excess.. and pray I can put the rope design I have been using for sashings thus far in the remaining sashing, moving fabric with each link of the rope)?

Worst of all it HAS to be done today because it is a christmas quilt.

Hi Donna,

The starch and steam method will do wonders, especially if it's managed off the frame. Work with a block at a time and get as much starched and nailed down as you can. Then when it's loaded you can push and prod more fullness into submission. I would stitch a curvy overall to tame it a bit, but a CC pathway through each block will work as well and allow you to contain the warp-age in each block.

Archived