squeaking m&m wheels

I'm noticing that my m&m wheels are squeaking when moving my machine from side to side. I've cleaned them to make sure no oxidation flakes and no visible threads in the grooves, and no visible threads in the top around the bearings. My machine also seems a little sluggish and wiggly when trying to go in a diagonal. Wheel adjustment bolts don't seem to be loose either. Of course I'm working on a deadline. I've only had my wheels on for a year. I wouldn't think the bearings would go out that quickly. Is there some special maintenance I need to be doing to the wheels?

Oh Debbie!! Sorry no one with an answer is on line to nite!!! I have M&M wheels in the box waiting to be installed tomorrow!!!! My only suggestions is ear plugs until someone who is in the know answers!!! At least you know youi were hear!!! I hate deadlines although I seem to work best under them!!!

I have replaced the wheel on a clients machine. The squeak was caused by the bearings in the wheel having gone bad. When the wheel was removed, I held the wheel in between my fingers with my fingers holding the center part of the wheels. I could feel the grating/grinding when I spun them. I did not remove the head from the table but just put something under the carriage to take the weight off the wheel and hold up the carriage while I installed the new one.

Originally posted by lindasewsit

Hummm... I was thinking they would last longer than a year at that price! Do they have a warrenty? Lucy, when you replaced that one, did they have to pay for it?

Linda, it's my understanding that, as an APQS product, the wheels carry the same 8-year warranty as the machines. Since the debut of the M&M wheels, I've only had to replace one faulty wheel, and it was cost free to the customer, even after a year's use. Even the best products can have issues, and with the huge numbers of wheels out there in the past 18 months, the record's been pretty good!

If you have a problem with your wheels, don't hesitate to call APQS (or your rep) to get it solved. And be sure to get the special static-discharge clip/strap kit - some machines really need them with the M&Ms.

Originally posted by chrisquilter

Please tell me about the anti-static strip. Does it cause the machine to stutter when in stitch regulation mode? If that is the case, I really need one!!!!! I have been having that problem intermittently. I'm trying to remember if it has been happening since I put on my new wheels. Thanks for your help!

Chris,

Last winter, APQS discovered that the M&M wheels (on some machines, not all) would accumulate static electricity, which would then discharge through the stitch encoders, causing various symptoms. In my own case, my machine would mysteriously stop in the middle of stitching, as if I had touched one of the control buttons, which I hadn't. One of my customers had issues with the machine racing or running very slowly, intermittently. Both of these symptoms were eliminated by adding the grounding kit to the machines.

The grounding kits have a small metal clip, which is placed on one of the screws that go through the back axle into the head of the machine, which grounds the head wheels to the machine head. One end of the grounding cable attaches to the back axle of the carriage and the other end attaches to the machine head, grounding the back carriage wheels.

APQS has these kits made up and should send them to you at no charge. I also have some available.

Barb,

Thank you so much!! I will call Apqs and have them send one to me. I think this may be my problem. We did all the troubleshooting things suggested by Amy and it cleared up each time, however my husband could not find any obvious problem. One of those, I don't know what we did, but it worked and I am happy times.

I don't know what I would do without you guys on the forum. There is an answer out there for everything it seems. Thanks everyone for you input.

Please let me say, to the new people, my Millennium is over 10 years old and still runs like a champ! We have put little money into repairs over these 10 years. When there has be a glitch, APQS is a phone call away and will work with you to correct the problem. Or the answer is right here! I am still in love with my Millennium!

No Myrna, I don't think the wheels are too tight. In fact, the inside of the groove of the wheels is not even touching the rails. I think I've got them adjusted as close and I can get them. My husband listened and thought maybe I should put some lithium grease on the wheels. I did clean my rails well and used a little bit of pledge furniture polish....that seemed to help a little. Once I get this last quilt done, I'll have some time to take the wheels off and look them over.

Chris,

The "stutter" you are having with the SR mode is NOT typically caused by the grounding strap being missing. The most common effect of the static build-up is that the static will cause the machine to shut off unexpectedly, like you hit a button to turn the machine off. It would happen in both manual and regulated mode, and has really only affected machines built in 2008 and newer as their circuit boards are housed on the back of the machine rather than the top.

If your machine is stuttering and hesitating in regulated mode only, the first thing to check is the adjustment to the small encoder wheels that ride in the larger wheels next to your two "black boxes" on the machine. Those little rubber wheels do wear down over time and start to "slip", causing the stuttering.

Loosen the large gold bolt under the large wheel where each small rubber wheel is situated, and then push the entire black box closer to the large wheel (the little wheel is attached to the black box and its mounting plate--so pushing the box closer will also move the little wheel closer to the larger wheel.) Make sure that they touch each other, and you feel resistance when you rotate the little rubber wheel by hand while holding the big wheel steady.

If you can't move the box any closer to the big wheel, then it's time to order replacement rubber (encoder) wheels. It is possible that there are other minor problems going on with the encoder or the "harness wire" that travels from the encoder to the machine, too. This can happen with older machines since the harness connector can wear down from years of movement. However, the most common culprit for your symptoms is the encoder wheel setting.

I'm sending you an email to help you address that. Let us know how it's going!

Myrna, I live in Oklahoma. Hopefully I will get a chance to check the wheels and make sure the rails are thoroughly cleaned, etc. I recently relocated my Millie, and may need to recheck the center leveling bolts that keep the rails from sagging. My husband has a laser level...he will be able to help me make sure the rails are level. I'll be sure to post an update when I figure out the problem or get it resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

So does anyone else have a lot of black buildup with the M&M wheels? I have so much black gunk and black flakes on the inside of my wheels I have to clean my rails every day and sometimes more than once. Just wondering if this is normal.

Originally posted by Bekah

So does anyone else have a lot of black buildup with the M&M wheels? I have so much black gunk and black flakes on the inside of my wheels I have to clean my rails every day and sometimes more than once. Just wondering if this is normal.

.... Yes Bekah, i also get build up on the wheels and the rails.

most annoying as it not only affects control but stitch quality.

Archived