Millenium set up space required?

Is anyone able to give me the dimensions please, of space required (at a minimum) to set up the Millenium on a 14 foot table?

As the machine is used from both front and back (pantos), how much space would you need in addition to the actual width of machine set up, to quilt comfortably?

As I am converting a single garage into the quilting studio, I just want to make sure it's a comfortable fit for quilting, and I'm not all squashed up.

Fingers crossed, I've got the space!!

Julie P :)

I agree with Matt that you'll need 10 feet. The table has a 4' width. You need 3' in front. The amount needed in back varies depending on how much space your own body takes up; I think the back of the machine sticks out about 17" from the table, so add on how many inches you need between the back of the machine and the wall to quilt comfortably. A total of 36" is the average needed.

Allow a 3' clearance on one side of the machine to get around it. So, for a 14' table, you'd need 17' length.

Sounds like you need about 10' x 17'.

I have moved my machine twice, and in each space, I have had one side against the wall. It works out very well that way. Just a note. Try to place the machine so that most of the time your are facing the doorway. There is some noise involved and I have had my DH come in the room without hearing him and had a few lives scared out of me! LOL Now my sons just stand in the doorway and start yelling MOM until I look at them! Congrats on your plans for a machine!

I had to used a 10 ft. table due to limited space. My room is 12 ft. wide. I have one end against the wall so I can walk around easily. It works great! When I bought my Millie, Mark was very helpful guiding me with the space I had the right size to purchase. Have fun!

Beth

Originally posted by chrisquilter

Just a note. Try to place the machine so that most of the time your are facing the doorway. There is some noise involved and I have had my DH come in the room without hearing him and had a few lives scared out of me! LOL Now my sons just stand in the doorway and start yelling MOM until I look at them!

:P :P :P

I have to laugh! My studio is in a room above the garage and it isn't possible to place my Miss Smilla so I can see people coming up the stairs. I've had to post a sign on the door asking my husband & daughter to yell if stitching. I've been scared out of my wits several times and ended up having to frog every time!! :P

Hi Julie,

Good luck with the garage conversion, a few small words of advice if I may, don't be mean with insulation, walls, ceiling, floor (if you can), the works, it will be so much better for you and your Millie and miles easier to do before she is set up.

If possible, have entry direct into your home, it's no fun coming and going outside at night or in bad weather, even if a short distance and makes one feel isolated to a degree.

Have fun.

Thanks Judy for the advice, as a newbie, it's great to have others with experience that can offer suggestions to streamline the process. We have been mentally working through all the additional things we need to do with the garage conversion before Mille gets here. No expense spared for her!

Just one question, would you recommend laying carpet in the studio to lessen machine noise or would it not matter if it's timber?

Julie P:)

Julie,

My thoughts: Carpet is fine and somewhat comfortable. The downfall is that carpet creates lots of static, pins are hard to find, and chairs/stools don't like to roll on it (a lot of the girls/guys on here like to sit and quilt). I would think the "timber/wood" would be fine. Get yourself a good "rubber/gel" mat to stand on or cover the timber with rubber tiles/matting. Some ladies got cork but it's really expensive. I'm sure that you will get more great recommendations for flooring. Have fun designing your space.

I converted my boys old bedroom into my Long Arm room and before I got the machine I went to an Electrical store and asked them how many lights would I need in this room to have no shadows, etc. I gave them dimensions and they gave me how many lights and where they needed to be placed for optimum lighting. As they put it "You can do brain surgery"! I recommend looking over your lighting situation during your conversion when they would be easy to install. You will not be sorry! I have excellent lighting!

Thanks Lisa and Connie for your advice in regard to the refurb of the garage. I hadn't thought about the sitting aspect of quilting and on carpet it would be harder to roll my seat. No carpet happening now!!

The lighting aspect is also good food for thought. While I had envisioned plenty of lights, to get an expert recommend how many and where the lights should go, will lessen our brain strain on where is best. (we have already had a conversation in regards to where and how many and weren't sure, so your advice is VERY timely!)

Thanks again gals, your awesome:cool:

Archived