Hawaiian Quilting Cruise

I have done the 14 day cruise to Hawaii, but it wasn't a quilting one. I may have liked it better if it was.

I found that I needed more to do on the passage over and back. (truthfully needed more that my husband would feel comfortable doing) I'm sure that this is when your classes would be, so that could be a really good fit for those 8 days at sea.

I have a friend that went on a quilt cruise by herself, she said that she would never do it alone again. She liked the cruise, just thought that a cruise is designed for at least a couple.

The only thing I would make sure of is how many sewing machines will be on board ship. If you are going to have to fight for sewing time it could put a damper on the whole process. Also heard that you aren't allowed to have scizzors aboard ship. A ships steward actually brought the scizzors to the class room each day and picked it up after class. You might also check out if the room is available for open sew outside of class times.....I have heard it go each way.... open would definately be better.

Last tip....if you go pack your bags....then take half of the clothes out and put them back in the closet. LOL

Guest Linda S

I've been on a cruise - not a quilting one - and I would agree with Deb. I was horribly bored for most of it. If there is a quilting component, it might be worthwhile. I get motion sick and got the transderm scop which really helped, but I removed it right after I got off the boat and that was a big mistake. I was sea sick for three days while on land!! There's not much to do on board but eat -- that can be a disaster of its own. I don't think I'd be inclined to take another cruise. Some folks love them, some don't.

Thanks everyone. Yes, it would be fun to all go on one together. The cruises I looked at for 2012 are already booked but if I really wanted to go now I'd contact the travel agency to see if there were any last minute cancellations. One cruise leaves from San Diego and another leaves from Seattle. Linda, I grew up on and around shrimp boats on the Gulf of Mexico so I don't think I'd get seasick. Deb, I always pack that way! lol

I've often wondered how those quilting cruises work myself. We have been on cruises, but not at sea more than 2 consecutive days at a time. Most of ours were spent in a port during the day where we would sight see and take tours, cruise all night and wake up in a new port. Those are fun. I also always pack way too much. :)

Guest Linda S

Cheri - I thought the Alaska Cruises might be good, as there is lovely scenery. I took my cruise from Florida to the Bahamas and, once you get out of port there is absolutely nothing to see but endless ocean. All our entrances into port (except for one) were done at night. Really not much to do but eat -- and it was a group of weight loss surgery patients who went, so we couldn't even do that! :P Next time I want to go to the Caribbean, I'm going to rent myself a little beach hut and one of those little scooters and spend my time putting around to see the scenery instead of being out to sea. I have also thought that perhaps a Mediterranean cruise would be scenic -- the Amalfi coast in Italy, the French Riviera, the islands of Greece, etc. Now that would be great. And, of course, if you could have quilting to do, any of them would be great. ;)

I'm just the opposite , I love cruising and leave on our next one on 30 Jan for 18 days. While I haven't been on a specific quilting cruise I always take some hand piecing or quilting. This time we will have 8 days at sea so its hand piecing for a miniature quilt I started on our last cruise. They are flying geese 2 inches by 1inch. Nothing more relaxing for me than sitting in the sun on the deck looking out to sea and quietly stitching and dreaming of all the quilts I would love to make but probably never will!! If the weather isn't suitable you can stitch in one of the many lounges on board. This invariably attracts other quilters and of course some good conversations, some I am still in contact with. If you get bored you can always go to Trivial Pursuits or Bingo!!!

Luckily I don't get sea sick

Yvonne

Originally posted by Linda S

Cheri - I thought the Alaska Cruises might be good, as there is lovely scenery. I took my cruise from Florida to the Bahamas and, once you get out of port there is absolutely nothing to see but endless ocean. All our entrances into port (except for one) were done at night. Really not much to do but eat -- and it was a group of weight loss surgery patients who went, so we couldn't even do that! :P Next time I want to go to the Caribbean, I'm going to rent myself a little beach hut and one of those little scooters and spend my time putting around to see the scenery instead of being out to sea. I have also thought that perhaps a Mediterranean cruise would be scenic -- the Amalfi coast in Italy, the French Riviera, the islands of Greece, etc. Now that would be great. And, of course, if you could have quilting to do, any of them would be great. ;)

Linda if you ever get the chance to see Alaska...GO! I would like to go back and spend a couple of weeks on land sight seeing. It is ruggedly beautiful. Just ask Shana and Vickie!!!

My brother retired from the Air Force after a long career. He said Greece was the most beautiful place he had ever seen so it is on my to-do list.

I have told my husband I would do another cruise but there has to be a balcony and scenery. I would like to do the Snake River cruise!!!

Barb, there is an article "Trip of a Lifetime" in the December, 2011 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine a woman wrote about her experience on an 8 day quilting cruise. She listed some things to know before you go along with what she did everyday! She said irons are forbidden on cruise ships but the instructors had permission for a couple that were shared. If you can't find the magazine, let me know and I'll send you a scan of the article.

Originally posted by cblevins

......Linda if you ever get the chance to see Alaska...GO! I would like to go back and spend a couple of weeks on land sight seeing. It is ruggedly beautiful....

"Ruggedly beautiful"... That's a great description!! I've lived here since 1976 and it still blows my mind how immense, huge, wide open, rugged and beautiful it really is. Really!!! :) Sometimes I just go "wow" at the things I see. :D

Anywhooooo... getting back to cruises. I've never been on one of those big white cruise liners. Maybe some day... but before I do the big white ship, I'd be very very interested in taking a cruise on a sail ship through the Caribbean or the Mediterranean!

Check this out! :cool:

http://www.windstarcruises.com/Yachts.aspx

Originally posted by LisaC

Barb, there is an article "Trip of a Lifetime" in the December, 2011 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine a woman wrote about her experience on an 8 day quilting cruise. She listed some things to know before you go along with what she did everyday! She said irons are forbidden on cruise ships but the instructors had permission for a couple that were shared. If you can't find the magazine, let me know and I'll send you a scan of the article.

Lisa, thanks for the info. I'll look to see if I still have that magazine issue.

The first cruise article I saw and looked up online was from WorldofQuiltstravel.com. Then I just googled hawaiian quilting cruises to see others.

Funny thought... I can just see a bunch of longarm machines and everyone swaying with the rolling of the ship! Wonder what kind of designs and fillers we'd come up with!! :P

I think my friend Sylvia Pippen is teaching on the one that leaves from San Diego. You will LOVE her. I'm pretty sure they fill up the ocean crossing days with lots of quilting activities, so it should be loads of fun. When you get to Kona, plan on spending some time with me & Hitomi & we will show you around. Around the quilt shops, that is! I hope you come.

Originally posted by seakitten

I think my friend Sylvia Pippen is teaching on the one that leaves from San Diego. You will LOVE her. I'm pretty sure they fill up the ocean crossing days with lots of quilting activities, so it should be loads of fun. When you get to Kona, plan on spending some time with me & Hitomi & we will show you around. Around the quilt shops, that is! I hope you come.

That's for the info. I just found out that a friend here has a daughter that owns a coffee plantation on Kona! The urge to travel is getting stronger! lol

We have taken many cruises as a couple. We flew to Honolulu last Feb. and spent a week with our son who lives and works there. Then we boarded a Princess ship and did the Hawaiian islands. The whales were incredible. We always enjoy the islands. From Hawaii we had 5 days at sea on our way to Bora Bora, Riatea, Moorea, and Papette, Tahiti. We met a great young group who we spent alot of time with. The activities on board were boring and it seemed everyone was in bed by 9 pm. It was a much older group of people and the ship was small. We prefer larger ships and love to dance the night away. I am 67 and DH is 73. We took wonderful excursions and they were beautiful. Did alot of reading and some knitting on our days at sea. Playing games and cards. We basically entertained ourselves. In March we went to New Orleans for a few days and caught a ship and did the Mayan Ruins, Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. In Sept. we were on a huge ship and did a Mediterranean cruise - it was fantastic. Both of those cruises were a blast. We are currently researching where our next cruise will go. We do not get sea sick. We just love to cruise and see the world and meet great people.

Cruises have never appealed to me, but friends did a barge trip up the Mississippi that ended at Paducah for the big quilt show. The barge was really a floating luxury hotel--sightseeing during the day and travel at night. She said it was pricey but fabulous. I also am prone to motion sickness, so ocean travel may be not in my future.

Mike and I and his family went on to Alaska on the Inside passage and there was no time to be bored! The things to see and do were numerous. The sights and sounds of Alaska and Canada were something. On the ship we had entertainment twice a day, we had bowling, swimming, shopping, internet, and of course, drinking....um.....We would all do it over again!

A quilting cruise sounds like loads of fun. However, I would rather do it with a few friends (or to be) along.

My husband & I went on a Southern Caribbean cruise 5 years ago and loved it. We caught the ship from Puerto Rico, so only had one full day at sea because my husband was worried there would not be enough to do on it. As it was, there wasn't enough time to enjoy all the ships offerings.

In 50 days we are heading to Hawaii, we are flying to the Big Island and then to Kauai staying a week in each. We have rented a private house in the country area and a cottage with a beach across the street in Kauai. I hope to see at least a couple of quilt shops.... Can't wait!!!!

In April of 2013, we are going with a fun group to the Eastern Caribbean out of Florida. Shall be interesting to see what my husband and other guys do with days at sea.

My brother and his wife did a "Windstar" type cruise and loved it. They entertained themselves with reading, napping,playing in the water and enjoying the evenings entertainment.

Barb, if you go on the quilting cruise, have a wonderful time and let the rest of us know all about it.

If it's cruising, sight-seeing and enjoyment without the possibility of "mal de mer" you're looking for, I highly recommend river cruises. We did St. Petersburg-Moscow (Volga River and others) a couple of years ago, and a Danube cruise (Istanbul-Vienna) last year. The ships are smaller, people and crew and friendly, service is impeccable, and frequent stops assure you have lots of time on land for shopping and learning about the area. True, they aren't quilting cruises but you'll return refreshed and rejuvenated, ready to quilt, quilt, quilt! I'd love to cruise the Mississippi one day, having driven much of its length.

Is there really a cruise on the Snake River?

Barbara

Archived