connecting threads- new- help me decide!!

I order from them all the time but most of the time it isn't fabric. But because they have

such a good price on their fabric, I took a chance. The quality looks fine, it washed up great but I haven't used any in a project yet. Would I order more?................No question about it. Their January catalog just arrived and there are just a couple of fabrics I'm not sure I can live without.

I have only had one experience with their fabric and I will probably at some time try their fabrics again. But I did have some trouble. I purchased some layer cakes from them to make my Hooterville quilt. Usually, I prewash, but since they were layer cakes, I didn't, so I don't know if this makes a difference in what I experienced.

I used the fabric in my embroidery machine, doing a satin stitch around my little owls and trees. I had to re-do the trees three times because the fabric kept tearing at the satin stitching. I used a good stabilizer, two layers, and new needle. I don't know if it was the fabric or??

Also, I ordered backing and border fabric later from them for the same project. When I received the both fabrics, they had holes in them about the size of a nickel, as it would be if it were layered on the bolt. One had three holes through the doubled fabric (so it had a total of 6 holes), the other had two holes (total of four holes), so it kinda put a damper on my spirits. Luckily, I had another fabric from them that I used as the backing that was okay, and I had enough of the border fabric to make do.

When sewing the border fabric on with a new needle (it was a bright, deep blue color), the fabric acted as if I were using a really old dull needle, and when the needle pierced through the fabric, I got "pull" lines of white showing up in the deep blue fabric. After all the work I put into Hooterville, it was a bit disappointing, but like I said, I didn't prewash and don't know if that was a factor or not.

I will give them another shot if I see something else I like because this could have happened on a fluke.

I ordered a kit several years ago and really liked it. It was the "Cosmos" line of fabric.

The quilt travels around in my car. Funny thing was, it didn't mention (or I didn't read) that it utilized a template for part of the piecing - I'd have avoided it. But since I had it, I gave it a try and found out I can do template piecing ok afterall!

Haven't ordered any fabric in the last year or so from them though, so maybe quality has changed.

I ordered from them and was disappointed. I thought that the design was woven in to the fabric, but instead it was printed on. Almost like some of the white on whites, but they were blues and tans. I still haven't used it. I prefer Keepsake Quilts. I have been very happy with their fabric.

I do like the patterns that Connecting threads has, and I do order notions from them.

Peggy

I've ordered many kits from them over the years, can't beat the price, they alway quilted nicely and washed up well. But like anything else you order without being able to feel it first sometimes I really loved the fabric and wished I ordered more and sometimes it wasn't so hot.

I started ordering kits from them alot when I first got my longarm because of the price and the fact they were pretty easy and fast to make, this gave me something cheap to practice my LA skills on, plus their kit patterns usually make for very creative quilting opportunities, and if you don't like what you did you won't cry over the loss.

Overall they are great for everyday quilts etc, but if you expect it to last forever stick to LQS fabrics.

Terry

I've bought a couple kits from them and the fabrics were great - especially for the price. I've also bought several 10 yard cuts of sale fabrics for backings. I've noticed some of the fabrics are printed on lesser quality greige goods than others but I also paid $2.46 a yard for them. I think like anything; sometimes you pay for what you get. Would I use their fabric on an heirloom? No, but I will for kids quilts and such. The prices on their notions and books is always good and you can get free freight with minimum purchase.

I've ordered from http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/ and visit this shop as often as I can make it there. It is in Vicksburg, which is an hour and a half to two hours away. They only sell top quality fabrics, and their customer service is great. The prices are not cheap, but they aren't the most epensive either. I'm willing to pay for good quality, and I know what I order from this shop will be good.

I am fortunate that Mary Jo's in NC is half way on the drive to my daughter's house :D They have an incredible selection of almost all the colors of Kona, bella, satin, and other solids, first quality. Also almost all the tone on tones such as fern, and fossil. Not to mention the Hoffman solid batiks. All very deeply discounted. I use Mary Jo's to fill in the gaps of my local quilt shops, most don't carry the variety of solids, I think on the basis of space? so I can really do well in NC. (By the way , there really is a Mary Jo, she has been in business a really long time, still is at the store most days, she said she got her start selling feed sacks!)

I tried Connecting threads several times, and found them so variable in quality I couldn't see risking the hours of work I would put into a quilt, one time I had almost 15% shrinkage, and no color left in a piece 2 yards long. If I need inexpensive fabric for some reason, some great buys at ebay (watch the shipping and sellers rating), and couponing..... Pat

I recently ordered from them, all solids and all are wonderful. I'm hand piecing a quilt, so the fabric is getting a lot of abuse as it's being pieced. I've had no problems with anything, nothing frays, has a good hand. Sorry to hear that others were disappointed in the past.

I've ordered from Connecting Threads and have been happy so far. I even bought some for practice that was reduced because of the print wasn't perfect on the selvage...well at 1.50 a yard, it hardly mattered that I lost a little on the edge.

And MaryJos, oh, my, it's a destination. I live 2 hrs away and make an entire day out of a visit there. Shop, pay, break for lunch, catch my breath, regroup, start again.

One time I needed more of a fabric they no longer had. They offered to hunt down something to substitute and sent samples of their choices.

Anita

Dang it Heidi.......I LOVE Mary'Jo's!!!!!! I can't believe I haven't heard of them before. I want 1 of every single color Kona cotton (all 225!!!) Now I need help though, I want a Kona solid to set together a 30's quilt top. Will someone please go to their site and give me an idea of a true 30's color? I don't want anything very dark. Thanks!!! All suggestions are appreciated.

http://maryjos.com/fabrics

Kona Cottons

I have ordered several kits from CT and have been happy with them. They were generous in the amount of yardage in the kit, which was great just in case you make that cutting error. I have not ordered yardage from them. Right now I am putting together a batik kit I got from them and have been pleased with the fabric. I also order books, notions and patterns from them. One thing about this company is that they will bend over backwards to make you happy...so if you get something that isn't quite right..then contact them and they will make it good for you.

I also have ordered from Fabricdepot and from Stitch n Frame....both are very good to deal with and you can't beat the sales they have.

I do like to go to QS and feel the fabrics and see the colors/prints up close....but the prices are getting so outrageous that I just can't afford to purchase fabric at retail...only when it goes on really good sales. So, I go to the shop, find the fabric line I like, make note of the ones I want and wait for them to go on sale or look for them online...I usually find them online for at least 2-4 dollars less than full retail. ;)

Guest Linda S

Life's too short to buy bad fabric. I buy lots of stuff from Fabric Depot, lots from Thousands of Bolts, and also from Hancock's of Paducah (on their sale page). You can get some of the best quality fabrics at really good prices. For more bargains, you can sign up at www.fabshophop.com -- they take you on a shop hop almost every month and you find the bunny to win prizes (and usually get a quilt design). You get to find a lot of shops that carry your kind of fabric and make a list of your favorites. I've had fun doing the hops (especially if I've been laid-up with surgery) and I once won a packet of 25 batik fat quarters. It can be really fun if you have the time.

Incidentally, if you've never been to Fabric Depot in Portland, you should come to MQX West and then go on a field trip there. It is basically an old supermarket full of quilty stuff!! Just about every major line of quilting fabric, home dec fabric, buttons, yarn, embellishments, books, batting, notions -- you name it. The first time I walked into the place I had to go sit down and put my head between my knees. Be still my heart! ;)

Dear All: Reread this thread, and just a comment: Many "brick and mortar " stores, such as Borders, Best Buy, etc, experience just what we know, people come in and see, then go home and order from e source such as Amazon , etc. This puts a high, impossible pressure on the local store. I have decided that my local quilt shops , mostly I go to Tiny Stitches, and Little Quilts, do such a great job with their programs , that even if I have to pay $1-1.50 more per yard they are worth it. I have mostly saved e sources to use when they don't have (and can't get it) it, and when it's something sort of unusual. I have them get patterns thru distributors, and let them know when I might need a lot of something. They are so good to me, and I would hate to lose them. In our area we have lost 9 or so (that I can remember) shops over the last 15 years, some to retirement, some to economic pressures, but if you listen to business news, the battle of e commerce and brick and mortar is here, who knows what will happen....I do know that I treasure my time with my shops and love seeing and feeling the fabric. I'm willing to support them. ( and both these shops do offer specials, good customer cards and value me.)

When I see friends from Canada and overseas, there is no other country out there that has fabric prices so inexpensive. What we might call outrageous is our prices catching up with the rest of the world. Painful, but probably inevitable..... I've never heard of a quilt shop owner getting rich...perhaps they do, but with all the listening I did several years ago, when I was considering perhaps going into business, I didn't get the idea there was much of a margin. Probably a lot less now..

Archived