Quilting makes the.......you know.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Linda, Hi! I know this is an old post. I had it in my faves. I was looking through them to look at feathers. I have a big quilt that I am wanting to feather. I was going to try to do Jamie Wallen's "feather flurry" on it, but I think that it would be too much feathers for that big of a quilt... Like too tight of quilting and maybe making it stiff... does that make sense? I love this look that you have done. Did you meander first? And what do you mean my hook feathers? I really like the look of your feathers on here! Could you please show me on paper or just try to explain how you did this, especailly the "hook" feather. Thank you so much!

Thankyou for the great diagrams Linda, I tried out the feather meander on a smallish charity quilt recently, busy colourful piecing to hide my learning opportunities, couldn't find anything to mark the spine so it would show up so I started on the left and meandered back to the right for the spine then put a few little bits of quarter inch tape for boundaries and went for it, after the 2nd row I didn't need the tapes, it just flows so well, love it!

This is my opinion of what a hook feather is. I can't draw on Paint well, but the hook feather starts at the spine and touches the previous feather and then instead of back tracking on the feather line leave a little space and go back and touch the spine. Make sense? It "hooks" around (reminds me of a fishing hook).:)

post--13461908541129_thumb.jpg

Cindy is perfectly describing the hooked feather! Here is a diagram for you, Linda.

It's drawn always up the spine--both sides-- and see how the inside corner is turned by nesting a small feather with a larger one outside it. The word that's cut off to the right is "feather"!

post--13461908540815_thumb.jpg

Clap, clap, clap LINDA R.!!! I kept trying to post my little picture while you were responding. Very good instructions!

Note to self: draw it on paper, take a picture and upload it. My thumb on the touchpad doesn't draw well. :P

I too missed this quilt the first time around. WOW, the quilting certainly made the quilt. I think that your customer must have been thrilled with her finished quilt. Thank you too for all the wonderful drawings and techniques that you constantly pass along to us all.

Linda,

I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with feathers. I LOVE how they look when someone else quilts them, but I HATE the feathers I quilt. I'm going to try again and PPP with the information you have provided to all of us. Thank you for your generosity.

Archived