When a quilt is done

Oh I wish I could leave them for the customer, think how much time that would save.....

One of the things I think people like to have me quilt for them is because I go to the trouble to knot and bury the ends on every quilt. Yes it is time consuming, but in this day and time where competition for customers is steep you must do what you can to be the best.....

If it is a quilt for show then it would be best to knot and bury all of those threads. It takes LONG time so I charge extra for it or I tell my customer they can get the quilt back "harry". Then they can knot and bury their own threads. Most of them choose that option.

If it isn't a quilt for show I take small tacking stitches at the start/ends of stitching lines.

I have never knotted and buried----I do one locking stitch. Move the needle and thread away, then come back to the same place or hole in the fabric, bring the bobbin thread up, apply Fraycheck, and clip. I have used this method for years, on baby quilts and other quilts that have been washed umpteen times---and no unraveling.

I learned about this technique on Long Arm University. There is a video explaining the process there.

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/basic_techniques_3.htm#Starts_Stops

used to knot and bury everything but now I check by giving a slight tug on the upper thread after I've pulled the bobbin thread to the top if it seems sewn in thsn I just bury the threads.

and I do it as I go because when I take then quilt off I don't want to inspect everhthing again, I'm ready for the next quilt.

as ever

Ok, Ladies,

I'm talking about a lady who does computer work on all of her customers.

Why I asked is my friend spent nearly 2 hours just clipping stray threads on the back, and even then missed some, which I'm surewould happen to all of us. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to catch all of them. And also have the binding to do.

That is another whole different situation.

Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure what to do.

Oh, one thing more, there use to be another pro here in town, who did the same thing. I saw two of her customers quilts, hanging in a show, and nicely cut threads hung about 6"down the quilts, at the corner of every block and sashing.

I feel for both of them..

Again , Thank You very much.

Hugs,

She gave u

I never leave stray threads on a quilt. When the quilt is completely done, it is ready for binding only. I don't think the customer should have to go back through the quilt to snip my quilting threads.

And during the quilting process, I take care of the threads as I go. I do not wait until the end. Depending on the quilt, I either tie off, knot and bury (using a self threading needle) or I take about 6-8 tiny start and stop stitches right next to eachother (not on top of eachother) to lock the stitches on pantographs and busy fabrics. I try to avoid backtracking too much. My goal is to have hidden or clean starts and stops.

Guest Linda S

I used to knot and bury all the time. Then, after enough times of having to rip out my own stitches, I realized that there was very little chance that my starts and stops were coming out without some significant amount of muscle behind them. I often start and finish with a few tiny stitches now and simply clip the threads off.

I too either knot and tuck, or now and then I stay stitch and trim.

Never the less, I always take care of the thread tails one way or another. This quillt is a bear to find them on.

We will find them,

Thank you all, so very much.

Hugs and God Bless you all !!

Thanks for posting the video with the fray check method, although even after watching it I am not sure how secure it would be over time. I suppose the only way to find out is to try it out myself sometime. For now though I knot and bury.

Do you all knot and bury at the start and the stop of the stitching?

Archived