Should I lift my hopping foot?

I want to pick your brains, I have a customer who would like me to quilt a comforter style quilt, they sleep with just a sheet and a comforter....in Scotland???? Anyway, it's the same fabric front and back (not pieced and even the same colours), it's a simple panto but with two layers of Hobbs poly.... has anyone quilted two layers...do you think I will need to lift my hopping foot???

Don't want to do it if it's not necessary...thanks in anticiapation....

I wouldn't think you need to lift it, but if you get where you look like you have a bubble in front of the foot then maybe. If the stitches re pod and no skipping I opulent mess with it. The only ime I've lifted mine was where the batting was really really puffy poly. Hobbs poly is considered a thin poly.

Originally posted by Bonnie

I wouldn't think you need to lift it, but if you get where you look like you have a bubble in front of the foot then maybe. If the stitches re pod and no skipping I opulent mess with it. The only ime I've lifted mine was where the batting was really really puffy poly. Hobbs poly is considered a thin poly.

I'm roflmao here, Bonnie! Are you using voice-recog to type this "opulent mess?" And how do you know if your stitches re pod?:P:P

Originally posted by barbm

I'm roflmao here, Bonnie! Are you using voice-recog to type this "opulent mess?" And how do you know if your stitches re pod?:P:P

LOL I didn't even read Bonnie's response must be using a smart phone!:P:P:P

C@@p I hate my phone or iPad at times. I usually really have to proof read because of auto correct. Must have been in a hurry. Now I can't even go back to correct it I don't remember what I was saying. Oh I remember it should have said. If your stitches are good not skipping don't mess with it.

Man that was like pulling a tooth....and the comic relief for the day.

I quilted an Indian Orange Peel (lots and lots of seam allowances) with two wool batts. What was I thinking? Never again! Remember I'm moving the sandwich & not the machine...it weighed a ton and was very bulky...even with a 20" throat.

Anyway, I did have to raise George's hopping foot for that sandwich but it was not difficult to do. I agree with the others who said to try it out & if you find that the foot is pushing the fabric ahead of it, then you might have to make a small adjustment.

You'll be fine! Nancy in Tucson

Originally posted by hmerrill

Originally posted by barbm

LOL I didn't even read Bonnie's response must be using a smart phone!:P:P:P

Thanks for the replys Guys...Me, I just thought Bonnie was 'On' something....lol.....I have quilted with two batts loads of times and love the effect but if it's a quilt of mine then I always quilt form the front, quilting from the back using a panto (bushberries) is a bit different coz you're not there watching for puckers, and it's huge, a super kingsize....I'll just have to see how it goes...Myself, I'm not a fan of poly batting, for me it doesn't seem to cling to the fabrics like cotton or wool does!

Archived