best rulers for just starting out?

As I've been looking into buying a machine, I have also been wondering what people find are their go-to rulers or templates. What are the three you can't do without? I don't have a longarm yet, so I can't say for sure what style quilting from the front I am going to like doing, but I know that some rulers and templates are used no matter what style you do. Always interesting to see what people use and have and love!

I echo Heidi's choices.

I suggest a simple rectangular acrylic ruler to start--lots of choice out there. This can be used for SID and as a steadying surface for stitching around shapes. After you get a feel for ruler-work you can decide which direction your quilting is going and whether you need a set of circle or oval templates or other fancier shapes. I'm not much for stitching around templates, but they are fast and effective if you are adept at stitching with them.

I think all of use have rulers we never use, so make wise purchases as you go.

Originally posted by JunBugs-Quilt-Garden

Which Boomarang would you suggest if you could only purchase one? Does anyone have the AppliRuler? If so, how do you like it? If there are other rulers anyone uses for applique, let me know which one and the pro's and cons?

Heidi, what did you use on the applique quilt you did recently?

I have the 6" and 12" boomarangs --- the 12" is the one I use the most becaue the arc is just the right size for blocks from " - 6" (continuous curve work mostly).

I have the appliqlide --- it works well --- I like the appliruler that she has out now that allows you to switch from controlling applique to doing cross hatch with the same ruler.

Originally posted by JunBugs-Quilt-Garden

Which Boomarang would you suggest if you could only purchase one? Does anyone have the AppliRuler? If so, how do you like it? If there are other rulers anyone uses for applique, let me know which one and the pro's and cons?

Heidi, what did you use on the applique quilt you did recently?

Narrowing it down to just one for me would be hard. I tell people the 10" first, then 6" & 12". Those are the 3 I use the most.

Which quilt, the BAQ? I used two or three sizes of boomerangs on that quilt and the little one. I don't recall using any other rulers, maybe the castle for some of it.

I have the Appliguide and use it a lot. A small ruler for SID is a must IMHO. Not sure where I got mine. I am a ruler girl and have lots of them but for starting out, a straight ruler and if you can find a good wave ruler that is also good for simple sashings.

Archived