Where do you buy your magna-glides?

Hmmmmm, not many colors to select from, huh? I got cream, tan and gold. Wish the gold was an old gold instead of bright. I am anxious to see how they work in my machine. Lenni's tension was easier to adjust than Freedom's for some reason. Even using the same bobbins in the same quilt I have to watch the tension when bobbins are replaced. That is a pain in the butt and the knees as I squat to look under! Ha!

Direct from bobbin central and in the thinner threads, white, black, tan, but I think they have introduced newer colours in the classics, and all sorts of colours in the delights (which are the thicker thread like the cones)

Although to be honest I prefer to wind the glide (thicker thread) from the cones onto the bobbins, and the back looks alot nicer too..... depends what look you prefer. I don't personally like the thinner thread on the back look as much, but depends on the style you prefer.

It is also cheaper running it this way (I do have the turbo winder though - so can fit quite alot of yardage onto the bobbin winding my own)

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

And what colors do you find most useful? Thanks in advance. Also, are the cores re-usable?

Sylvia, like Heidi and Bonnie, I order direct from Fil-Tec. I've ordered the boxes of 100 of the white, black cream, tan, light grey and dark grey. Between those colors, I'm pretty well covered. I have a couple of colors of the Delights, but I don't like the heavier thread on the back.

Oops, I see the colors now! OK, I placed my order using the information you sweeties provided. I now have the colors I need and am looking forward to getting my shipment in!!!! I may, after this shipment buy the threads and wind my own (too bad we can't buy the magna core bobbin blanks and wind our own - or can we and I just missed that?)

I ordered white, cream, tan, merigold and taupe and grey. I got free shipping so that was a plus. Can't wait to try them. I figured I couldn't wind them myself as they didn't look as if they had sides. I wish they'd invent just a core we could pop on our bobbins. They could sell them for big bucks, I think! I'll let you chickies know after I've tried them (I know I'll love them and it will be just something else to spend my money on instead of clothes - which I need).

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

I am anxious to see how they work in my machine. Lenni's tension was easier to adjust than Freedom's for some reason. Even using the same bobbins in the same quilt I have to watch the tension when bobbins are replaced. That is a pain in the butt and the knees as I squat to look under! Ha!

sylvia - i'm sorry to hear this. i have always wound my own bobbins. there was a learning curve with the tension on lola-baby, but now it's all good. perhaps your bobbin winder is the problem? is it a different one than you had with your lenni?

:mad::(:o

hi sylvia - it should not be this way. something must be amiss. if i can get consistent tension on a freedom, anyone can.

i wonder if you had someone come and take a look if they could figure it out? it seems to me that the learning curve should be over for you, especially since you already have had a lenni.

i love being able to have any color thread top and bobbin - it's one of my favorite things about my machine.

i'm sorry you are having these frustrations.

I was just at a Floriani Seminar and for $30 received 10 cones of thread, small size, and we bought a box that was on sale. The threads were in the Spring colors, soft pretty.. The 10 cones were mostly dark.

Don't know what size the threads, the spools are 1,000 somethings. Don't know much, do I? LOLOL

RitaR

Sounds like the tension assembly needs replaced, at least the spring. It's not hard to change out. Go for it, you can do it.

I buy my Fil-Tech thread and bobbins straight from them. They usually have a monthly special to, like free shipping.

My preferred neutral color is silver. I have a stock of the

glide and matching magna-delites. Just don't forget to take the backlash spring out of your bobbin case, prior to inserting the magna-bobbins. Enjoy!

Archived