Fairfield poly-batt that customer wants me to use

I've heard horror stories about Fairfield poly batt but I've never used the stuff. I have a beautiful top with hand redwork and the lady put this poly stuff in the bag for me to use. I use Hobbs 80/20. Should I use her batt or just use mine?

If I could figure out how to post a pic, I would love to get suggestions for the quilting too. I'm using my new Boomerang ruler!!

Thank you for your advice, Amie;);)

Carefully open the package and examine the batting. I refuse Fairfield on occasion, but have used their 80/20 for a while without issue. I try to open it with the customer there so they can see if there are thin spots, holes, or large bumps like a fist tried to go through. Have them return the batt if you don't like the looks of it. Usually the problem with the poly is it's too thin and even thinner in some areas.

I got a package of Fairfield at WalMart for a charity quilt, and it was fine. I actually liked it. My friend got a package and it was terrible..thin spots, etc. We compared packages and it was different stuff. Unfortunately, I don't remember which was the good kind.

With so much qualtiy batting available from Quilter's Dream, I have decided to not use anything else. I tell people I will supply the batting that will best suit their project and its intended use, and that I can supply, at a very reasonable price, a higher quality batting than they can purchase on their own. I don't try to make money on batting...just what I pay plus enough of a markup to cover shipping costs plus a bit extra.

I haven't had anybody have a hissy. They know after the first quilt that I don't want their batting and there isn't a problem from then on. If you don't like it after looking it over, just tell her you couldn't use it. It is not in your job description to fight with a crappy batting.

I had a customer bring me this same poly batt for a donation-type quilt. It was very puffy and didn't have any thin spots (luckily), but the puffiness of the batting made it hard for me to get the quilt to lay flat and play nice. This quilt had some issues with uneven piecing and borders that were hard to tame. It was very puffy when quilted and the hopping foot wanted to scootch the quilt top all over the place. I used Circle Lord's Swirls, quilting from the back of the machine. Maybe not the best choice.

After experiencing this batting, I decided I would use it again but not on a really nice quilt and maybe not with the Swirls. My experience level may not be up to everyone else's and it may just be my lack of experience talking. :)

Originally posted by Zora

With so much qualtiy batting available from Quilter's Dream, I have decided to not use anything else. I tell people I will supply the batting that will best suit their project and its intended use, and that I can supply, at a very reasonable price, a higher quality batting than they can purchase on their own. I don't try to make money on batting...just what I pay plus enough of a markup to cover shipping costs plus a bit extra.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have learned to tread lightly when it comes to offering batting for sale.

I have a roll of Warm & White I offer at exactly what the customer would pay for at full retail at Joann's. If they want a price break, they can take their coupon to the store and get their own at a discount or purchase mine as a convenience. Out of state customers are urged not to send batting because of mailing costs and I offer them several types of QD packaged batts at full retail, and the W&W. Wool is very popular.

I learned the hard way when I got a heads-up from a friend at an LQS. A customer mentioned as she was buying backer fabric that she "got a good deal" on batting from XYZ Longarming Company" (not me, thank goodness). The owner was listening and then pulled all the business cards of the longarmer and forbid her employees from recommending her again. This is competition in the eyes of the LQS, which has overhead we quilters do not. And you don't want a fabric store to close--ever.

No way am I going to alienate a quilt shop!

Just thought I would share another perspective.

EGADS, I'm glad you posted this. It is really good food for thought and makes good sense to not undercut the LQS batting prices! I am thinking that I will not be offering what my LQS offers, too.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

I learned the hard way when I got a heads-up from a friend at an LQS. A customer mentioned as she was buying backer fabric that she "got a good deal" on batting from XYZ Longarming Company" (not me, thank goodness). The owner was listening and then pulled all the business cards of the longarmer and forbid her employees from recommending her again. This is competition in the eyes of the LQS, which has overhead we quilters do not. And you don't want a fabric store to close--ever.

No way am I going to alienate a quilt shop!

Just thought I would share another perspective.

I just had a client bring me a wall hanging to quilt. She said she would bring Hobbs 80/20 batting for it. I just had done a wall hanging with Quilter's Dream Deluxe she had seen. I told her I preferred to work with the battings I offer, all from Quilters Dream. I price it at what I think I need to get. The quilt shops here sure aren't directing business my way, anyhow. I know what my batting will do. I won't experiment on a client quilt. If it didn't turn because of the batting they brought I don't know how I'd handle that. This way I know I'm responsible.

To clarify...I do not sell batting. I use QD batting in quilting for others and I charge a reasonable fee for it. I do not have local quilt shops that carry this batting, and I am not undercutting any local shops. Walmart does not carry quality batting, and what they do carry costs less than I charge. JoAnn is 40 miles away and they do not carry QD batting. I don't have my cards in any quilt shops. If a LQS wants to carry batting that is designed for longarms, I will gladly refer customers there and save myself the hassle of having to stock the stuff. Do you not keep rolls of batting on hand? What's the difference between selling a packaged bat at a reasonable price in conjunction with a quilt I am doing as opposed to whacking a piece off a roll and selling that? Every longarm quilter in our area has batting available of one type or another, which they provide at a fee that is less than a customer would pay at the LQS for a packaged bat. I'm confused.

Originally posted by Zora

To clarify...I do not sell batting. I use QD batting in quilting for others and I charge a reasonable fee for it. I do not have local quilt shops that carry this batting, and I am not undercutting any local shops. Walmart does not carry quality batting, and what they do carry costs less than I charge. JoAnn is 40 miles away and they do not carry QD batting. I don't have my cards in any quilt shops. If a LQS wants to carry batting that is designed for longarms, I will gladly refer customers there and save myself the hassle of having to stock the stuff. Do you not keep rolls of batting on hand? What's the difference between selling a packaged bat at a reasonable price in conjunction with a quilt I am doing as opposed to whacking a piece off a roll and selling that? Every longarm quilter in our area has batting available of one type or another, which they provide at a fee that is less than a customer would pay at the LQS for a packaged bat. I'm confused.

Sorry to offend. You can do whatever you want in your studio and with your business. My point was to not recommend competing with a local quilt shop (not Joann's or WalMart) whether selling batting or fabric. The example I cited resulted in the longarmer being black-balled by that shop--losing business AND not making any profit on the batting she sold.

I do sell batting--both packaged and on the roll, as a convenience to my customers. I charge retail to compensate me for having my profits tied up in a potential sale down the road. And also to keep on the good side of fabric retailers locally.

I've had both good and bad experiences with Fairfield battings. Since I started using Quilter's Dream, anything else is awful. haha I did a quilt over the weekend and I happened to have a package batt of Mountain Mist that was just the size I needed. So, I thought I would just use it. Almost took it off the machine. I had a terrible time loading it without poking my fingers through it. I sued to use that all the time and it isn't inexpensive either. I would buy it with my coupon from JoAnn's. The few customers I have are just as happy to use the batting I have rather than having to go buy some. The closest quilt shop we have to buy batting is about 20 miles away and she doesn't carry a huge selection............I think it's Hobbs. I've not tried Hobbs myself.

Guest Linda S

Fairfield has come out with better battings. I use their 16oz poly for trapunto work when I can get it. I recently bought a roll of Hobbs high-loft poly for that. It all depends on the type. Take it out of the package and give it a good tug on the corner. It it comes apart or stretches too much, it's most likely not a good batt to use on your machine.

I do offer battings to my customers. I don't sell it at full price, as I'd like to encourage them to use what I have instead of bringing me crap batting, but I don't give it away either. The one shop in the area that carries Quilters Dream (my preferred batting) has banned me from meeting customers there, but not because of the batting. She has one of those arrangements where she gets a percentage of whatever longarmers who meet customers in her shop get, and I'm not about to go there. I don't make all that much as it is. I prefer to go to my favorite shop, which welcomes me with open arms and is even glad to see me!

I had a terrible experience with one batting that left fuzzies all over the house, and can't remember if that is the one that holes a hand could go through without resistance.

I think it was the Fairfield brand. I called and they sent me more than I had originally. If I remember right it was a better quality.

Ritar

PS Here is the URL, showing picts..

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=24073&page=1#pid301393

I've never had a problem with Fairfield polys, only their 80/20. Numerous times customers have brought this batting and I've found it to be inconsistent. There are thick and thin spots and very often I've opened a new package and found a hole large enough to stick my head through! Sometimes I actually get one I can use, but it seems the exception to the rule. It quilts fine as long as it's a consistent thickness. I no longer accept the Fairfield 80/20 because of the inconsistency problems.

Other Fairfield products have not been a problem. I was once told they make a 60/40 blend that's designed for longarmers, but have not tried it as it isn't available locally. Most customers who provided it purchased at Joann's in the package. I haven't ever seen the 60/40 there, only the 80/20, polys and bamboo.

I do provide batting for my customers as a convenience. I charge the same rate as the LQS's so I am not undercutting them and I don't have people buying just batting from me because they get it for less. I'm not in the batting business. I usually stock 3 different blends, wool, cotton, and several different lofts of poly. I stock all these because I live in the mountains and can't run to the quilt shop if I need something special for a certain quilt. This way, most of my bases are covered. I also find it's less expensive for some of my out-of-state customers to send their tops and backs without the batt. Of course, it's in the quilt for the return trip! It only saves them a little when they send it to me.

Wow this always seems to bring up lots of posts. My view is this, I have the right to carry batting and have it on hand since my job is to put all three layers together and I feel like having batting on hand is necessary. I don't do this to take business away from shop owners and certainly if shop owners have it in stock my customers will buy it when they buy their fabric and backers. I do give a discount say to guild members, no different than shops who offer discount to guild members or run other specials, again no different than shop owners. As for refusing certain battings, I'm not super picky but I will not take battings that will create a mess all over, clog up my machine or take me way too much time to fuss with. Just my preference and I feel like it is my right to do that. I really don't think it makes me a snob, pickier yes maybe but again it is my business so I feel like I should be able to do that. I can somewhat see the shop owners view for taking a cut of the pie if the business transaction is taking place in her shop. Yes it brings in traffic to her but it also uses her resources. I'm not sure how much but I don't think it would be unreasonable, after all if one of you fell on her property she'd be liable. I also know of shops that will collect quilts, tag them and then the quilters just show up to pick them up. I see this as a service and they should get paid for this service, although I don't think it should be a percentage as high as 10%, perhaps a one time handling fee or a discount on shop samples would be more appropriate. It is obviously to the shop owners advantage to bring customers back to her store so they should look at it from that perspective. I don't know of any shops in our area that charge for a longarmer to leave cards or hang fliers and I think it is wonderful that they will work with longarm quilters since the goal is for people to have finished quilts so they want to buy more fabric.

I am appalled at the attitude of quilt shop owners who would pull business cards because a longarmer is offering batting..which is part of the "manufacturing" process. Nobody who manufactures anything else buys the supplies retail, or makes the customer buy them retail and bring them along. I personally would have been sorely tempted to be a real pain and start selling backing to boot!

There is 100% markup on batting in quilt shops. Yes, they have expenses and overhead. Many people will not buy at full retail. They will wait for the 40% off sale or they will go to JoAnn or they will order from Hancocks of Paducah or other online source.

I have never met a shop owner with this attitude. If I ever did, I would never buy a scrap of fabric there ever again. There is too much available on line to put up with somebody with this attitude. The little bit of batting that I "undercut" prices on isn't going to put her out of business. Her bitchiness will take care of that.

I usually reject the poly batting. I also check with the local quilt shop and get their current price on the size of batting I need to use. I tell them upfront that I have a batting on stock (for my own use) that I need to use on a customer quilt and don't want to undercut them. They give me the price without hesitation.

Archived