Not enough to cover the leaders

What do you do when you get quilts that are not long enough to clear the leaders? Lately, I have been getting backings that are short on top, bottom and sides. I end up having to sew another piece of fabric on so I can clear the leaders of my machine. I use the leader grips so I find I need a bit more than 8' longer. The sides are ok at 8 inches. I have this charity quilt someone brought me and I have 2 inches on each side and I am 4 inches short on the length. I put it on the machine anyway and figure I would quilt it but it would be 2 inches short on the bottom.

I guess it's a cgarity quilt and wouldn't matter. The bottom border is accemetrical so you would not be able to tell it was 2 inches short. What do you do when the quolt backings are short?

Too little fabric or too much take up required for Red Snappers. One of the reasons I got rid of my Red Snappers was that they required a good bit more fabric to attach the back to the leaders than did pinning. I think they require at least 3" more on both ends. It's not the only reason the snappers went, but one of them. Ask for more fabric on the back. Your customers will get used to your larger requirements. Jim

Like Heidi, send it back to the piecer to make it bigger, and if for some reason she can't or won't do it, I will offer to add fabric for a fee. I charge $5 per seam, but now I am thinking that is not enough. For charity quilts, I just won't do them unless they are the correct size. Maybe that's why you're getting them. Don't put up with it.

I just got a QOV today that has a back that is 1 inch longer than the top. :( I bow to you, Kristina, if you can work with that. I definitely need 3-4 inches extra to feel comfortable pinning to the leaders and those directions are given to the piecers but... Anyway, there are so many poorly pressed bulky seams in this one I am only too glad to give it back and hope she finds someone else to deal with it.

I've had this problem on the last two quilts I've done. Granted I use the red snappers, and they do require a bit more fabric, but if only the customers would hear what you telling them. I finally took one of the quilts to the store most of my clients buy their fabric from, and showed them the problem, so they are a bit more educated now for when the customers ask them.

I added some fabric to one of them for a leader, and it did cause some issues, because the weave of the fabric wasn't completely in line with the quilt back, so I had a few small tucks, due to uneven stretching, when I removed it from the frame. I will show this to the quilter, and hopefully it will make an impression on the importance of making sure there is enough backing to work with.

I gave up on the Red Snappers, hurt my fingers, & had one pop off while the machine was quilting, not good! :(

I use magnetic strips to hold everything in place, takes seconds to place them on my rollers & I am off & running, they have a 10 lb magnetic pull, so everything stays in place safely! Love them!!:)

bought them on line at Harbor Freight, http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-magnetic-holder-65489.html I pin my backing to the leader on the take up roller & drape the other end of the backing, batting & quilt top up & over the belly bar. I place the magnets on top of all three layers to hold in place. I do not use the quilt top roller, I float all my quilt tops, I ordered 7 strips for my 12 ft. frame. Word of caution, do NOT allow the magnets to come in contact with one another, unless you have super human strength, you'll NEVER get them apart! =)

Also before I advance the quilt, I remove the strips & place on the quilt top roller, when I have the quilt advanced, I gently pull all three layers starting in the middle & place a magnet one by one working out. (side note,, you will not be using your brake on the belly bar, as nothing is pinned to this roller.)

Hope this helps, it really is a efficient way to work!

Archived