She asked for a "showstopper"--pics replaced and extras added

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Linda S

Wowzers! If I were to see this at a show, I would no doubt be stopping for quite a while to look at all the gorgeous quilting in it. What a stunner, Linda! Beautiful work!

Well my friend, you have done it again, made my jaw drop and heart stop. It is absolutely gorgeous. How do you think of all those designs? What did you use for the cross hatching?

Lets see how many ribbons it gets attached to it.

Thanks thanks thanks! She just left and was pleased!

Questions asked? Batting is 80/20.

I used a set of crescent templates Den made for me for the crosshatching. I'll show them at the next Moxies and they may make it to the website if I can talk Den into making some.

Quilting sequence? All over the place. I left the outer print border for last. I used tan Bottomline for all the cream-colored areas plus many of the pieced blocks. I quilted all the pieced blocks all the way down, leaving the feathered star and the background of the offset star border until later cuz I couldn't decide on a design. I then rolled back and quilted all the setting triangles. Then the two problem spots--the background of the star border and the feathered star. Lastly, the print outer border. It was on the frame for 12 days.

The thought process for the border background? I tried CC'c following the same path, instead of the straight lines--it was unsuccessful to say the least. Frogged it out and drew the straight lines. I didn't add the points in the adjacent borders until last when I realized that the width of the solid border (green) was exactly right to extend the point to the opposite seam line. Otherwise, the ribbon thing would have stopped at the seam.

How to decide what to quilt? I use graph paper, clear overlays to draw on, sometimes I draw directly on the top with a purple air-erase pen, especially when I am concerned about the scale of the design. When I did the initial consultation I explained that if she wanted hyper-quilting, the scale of the motifs (feathers, leaves, etc) are gauged to the smallest pieces of fabric in the piecing. If I stitch CC's in tiny squares or triangles, the rest of the quilting should be somewhat to scale, except for those areas where the eye can rest--like unquilted narrow sashings.

Forgive my rambling--I should be calmed down tomorrow and back to work as usual!!

Thanks again!

Archived