losing/finding perspective

just wanting to take a break and ask a question... do you ever feel like you've lost perspective on quilting a certain quilt, especially while doing custom? I have had my head down for 3 days now custom quilting a beautiful batik, and when i walk away I feel like I've lost all perspective regarding what I'm doing. I'm second guessing myself, replaying all the old "what the he** you think you're doing?" tapes ... and then i go back and relook and i'm still not sure. oh well, this too shall pass ... i'm betting this is normal, but sure would like to know that i'm not the only one, and more importantly, how do you work past this? thanks all.

You're not the only one. I have one email buddy that I send pictures to and get feedback. Usually - I'm doing ok. Sometimes she just cuts to the chase and tells me to lighten up and just keep going. I doubt myself but I also complicate the simple - is that what you're doing too?

I have a little bit different trouble. If I don't like the quilt or the colors or the fabrics (especially if the the backing fabric is not forgiving!!) it is hard to get quilting on it or be decisive about what to do with it. Some friends are giving me quilts to quilt and I look at the quilt and think it just needs a pantograph to make it look pretty, and then I start thinking that someone with more quilting experience than I would look at the quilt and say "I can make that pretty with custom!" But me, not so much if I don't like the quilt to begin with. I mean, really, I think pantos are beautiful and if a quilt IS ugly, panto it to make it pretty!!!! :D:P:D

i don't quilt for others (except a few kind and understanding friends) for this very reason.

i have so much doubt when i have something on the frame...

my mantra is 'done is better than perfect' - this is what keeps me going.

the pressure of someone else's flimsy would put me over the top.

i admire you guys for having the nerve to do this as a business.

I suppose we all have this problem, with not being able to see the "whole picture" until after the quilt is unloaded. With your nose 10 inches from the top and every bobble and mis-stitch glaring at you, it's hard to feel lovable about the quilt. And second-guessing is part of the program. I guess that's why my first efforts at longarming were given away to family. When I see them now I agonize over a better quilting design I could do now or how much smoother my stitching is now.

Something I was told in one of my first longarm classes back way long ago was "Plan the quilt. And then quilt the plan." Great advice that points to not second-guessing yourself. Plan what you will quilt before you load it. Write it all down, including thread colors and design samples. Then stick to the plan--don't waver.

My downfall is there is always some area where I need to think longer and harder, so I leave it for later, load the quilt and start on the things I do have a plan for. Unfortunately, sometimes the final plan for that middle border or those setting triangles require marking and measuring--hard to measure when it's on the frame! So, ultimately I have saved the hardest for last, and hardest takes longer! So my rosy estimation of when the quilt will be done crashes and burns!

Another reason to Plan/Quilt the Plan is so you don't get carried away with some extra-elaborate design that you think will look fabulous but which isn't in the budget--and yet you quilt it anyway! That way you have literally given your customer a gift--and she may expect another one on her next quilt!

Our own critical eye is harder on us than any quilt judge could be. I don't know if we ever get to relax!!;)

Just the other day, I quilted a border, not real wide thank goodness, and pretty much hated it. I decided to leave it, finish the rest of the quilt, and then look back at that border I found I still hated it, frogged it and I am happier. Sometimes my idea in my head and what happens on the quilt are not the same thing! LOL. I am an excellent frogger! Other times I have been just unsure about the quilting, second guessing myself. When it came off the frame, I liked it. I was so happy I let it grow on me before I took out the stitching. The old "What the heck do you think you are doing?" monster lives in us all. Well, me for sure. Kick it, stomp it and go take a walk to clear your head. I know what we are doing, something we love, that's what. What you love, you do well.

I've definitely been there! Custom quilting for others is always a tough thing I think. It puts a certain pressure on you to make decisions about a top that might not be your flavor or something you would have made to begin with. I just go with my style, after all that is usually what has brought that customer to me, and hope they love the end product. Even on a custom quilt I love I often get to the end and I'm just tired of it and want it done.

Yes, this happens to me. There have been many times that I have said to myself, "Oh oh, this is not good." And I worry. Then I take it off the frame and see it as a whole and really like it.

I'm one of those quilters that can't plan the quilt first. I quilt by the seat of my pants you might say and have gotten to the point where I don't fret quite as much because I know when that quilt comes off the frame all will be well.

Jess

I start a quilt with thread chosen and at least one part of the design planned, so I've got something to start stitching.

As I quilt the rest of the designs come to mind so that is when I jot them down.

Often I don't use all the chosen threads after all.

In the end the quilt has chosen the design, I have only guided the machine.

Archived