New to Longarm Quilting!

My name is Robin and I just received my Millenium Longarm Machine. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to any really good DVDs that are really great for beginners? I have been reading on this forum for over a year listening to all your great advice. Looking forward to learning all I can.

Hi Robin,

Welcome to a great place for lotz of anything you may want or need, especially quilting info. I have read that some really like Myrna Ficken, Dawn's that came with your machine, look at some of the different topics from before and you will find lotz of answers.

put in a top and start stitching! don't worry about the finish product but more about getting a feel for the machine and don't be afraid to make a mistake! just have fun. let your mind discover the joy of quilting/ I bought cheap quilts on ebay to practice on better than cheater clothe that have no seems. search you tube lots of free resources. enjoy!

Congratulations on your new milli. I'd suggest watching the video that came with the machine and u-tube video's. Then once you know what style you'd like to learn order DVD's that work for you. My favorite DVD's are Jamie Wallen's Cotton Threads and Thread Fushion and Kimmy Brunner's Twirly Whirly Feathers. Favorite tools are Quiltazoid and Deloa's rulers. I love her boomerangs, 8", 10" and 12" and her little one. The castle ruler is great too. Good luck.

Hi Robin! You will find this forum to be one of the best learning tools available.

I purchased Kim Brunner's 'Machine quilting for Beginners' and found it really helpful. The DVD's that come with the machine are great also. I have some of Myrna's DVD's on background fill and feathers and they are wonderful!

I loaded large pieces of cheap muslin or other plain fabric along with pieced batting (a good way to use up those odd pieces!) and just played around. It was exciting and frustrating at the same time because I wanted to be good too quickly and it does take practice. But every day and every week I could see improvements and how exciting it was!

Have fun and enjoy the ride!!!

Welcome to the forum! I found that cutting practice pieces one yard was actually better for me. If you use a light thread the first time around, you can go back, put in a dark thread and quilt more designs. Then you can put another plain piece on top of that and quilt again. You get a lot out of one yard and it's easy to take it off while you do something else. I would use of little pieces of batting, too. I just filled it with scraps so my practice pieces were really cheap.

All the DVD's listed are really good. You won't go wrong with any of them. Myrna's feathers are the longarm feathers and Kimmy's are the formal feathers, so both DVDs are helpful.

Hi Robin,

I started with all of Myrna's dvd's. They are great. Over the course of three years, I have purchased a Jamie Wallen dvd and a Kimmy Brunner dvd, and have purchased more tools. However, after learning the basics (and then some) from Myrna, my main source of info and creativity are from all of the people here on the forum.

I also did what Libby did....practiced on a piece with matching thread, then practiced more with a darker thread, then even more with black thread. I still have that first practice piece. And actually, it has some design ideas on it that I forgot about. So glad I went and looked at it again.

Have lots of fun with your new machine. :)

Jess

Hi Robin....I have had my Freedom almost a year now and am so glad that I came here to the forum in the very beginning. I have not seen any of the videos mentioned above but have looked at youtube by the hour. I also found that drawing on my whiteboard is very useful...figure if I can draw it, I can quilt it. Just practice practice practice and don't be anal about it!!! Just enjoy it! The more I learn, the more fun it is!!

Since I work full time I draw during my lunch hour and have drawn for my friends at work. I figure I am getting better the more I practice :)

Went to one of my coworkers desks the other day and saw the worst feathers I've ever drawn. I couldn't get her to give it to me because it was on one of her computer listings LOL.

I recommend both Dawn's intstructional DVD that comes with your machine and Myrna Ficken's begining longarm dvd.

Linda Taylor has a pretty good book about longarm quilting. I think you can get it on amazon for a good price. She has several classes you can watch on Quilting University. Not a DVD, you get a subscription and watch a lot of classes.

Archived